Modding a g5420tg 50’s

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by david garcia, Sep 25, 2021.

1. david garcia

david garcia Electromatic

Jan 29, 2021
    Arizona
    Hello guys I’m new to the thread
    I’m currently buying a gretsch G5420tg
    I was lucky and got a pair of vintage dynasonics from the 50’s and I wanted to mount them to my g5420tg but they their the old style direct top mount and my guitar had black tops, how would I go about that? I’m not particularly handy and I only have basic tools
    Is it even possible?
    I found then in a guitar at a goodwill and the tech said those are real deal 50’s dynas
    I’ve also wanted to swap out the tortoise shell pickguard to a higher quality one, the one the guitar came with is very cheap and cheesy looking
    I also though maybe adding a tru arc bridge?
    Or should I stick with the stock one? There’s nothing wrong with it but I hate the way it rattles acoustically, thanks again for reading

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Welcome aboard!
    Take it to a reputable tech. Have it done right.
    Dynasonics are things of beauty. You truly were lucky to find them at a decent (or any) price.
    Get the Tru-Arc. Avoid the rattles.
    I like tortoise myself. There are a few places to get new pick guards.
    You've got a great start on your Gretsch collection.

3. david garcia

Jan 29, 2021
    Arizona
    I got the whole guitar for $50
    It was in a miserable condition and I salvaged it for the pickups and to my good fortune they both gave me readings on my vu
    Do you by any chance know how to darkwrn a fretboard? The fretboard is a lot more khaki and chocolaty than ebony’s it is rosewood though

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  4. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Oiling the fingerboard is the best thing I can think of doing. Rosewood isn't anywhere nearly as dark as ebony. Look at past threads here for info for that process.
    $50 for a pair of Dynas is amazing. Even if the rest of the guitar is firewood, that was an incredible grab. You got beyond lucky.

Terry_Collier and section2 like this.
  5. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Gretschie

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    Hi David,
    I have the same model and wanted to install TV Jones T-Armonds. So inspired by some posts here on GT I had a company make me adapter plates because you can't mount the pickups directly to guitar.
    I used the online editor from a company here in Germany and they sent me the adapter rings.
    I copied the dimensions and the screw holes from the original Gretsch rings. Inside I planed a cutout for the screws and magnets. This way I didn't need to fill the old holes and redrill.
    Visually it is not perfect, but good enough for me.
    Some more inspiration:
    https://www.gretsch-talk.com/threads/t-armond-dearmond-mount-in-g5420.189534/

Attached Files:

section2, Craig Encinitas and new6659 like this.
  6. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello David, welcome to G-T. It's good to have you here.
    Great deal on the Dynasonics. Should sound great once there installed. Good luck in the modding.

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome friend , enjoy the forum :)

8. Trash Kidd

Trash Kidd Country Gent

Dec 14, 2015
    London U.K.
  9. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Those Dynas should cover the filter holes no problem, you'll just need some spacers and screws. They may be overly bright with the pots that are in it though, you might need to experiment.

10. david garcia

Jan 29, 2021
    Arizona
    Wow guys thank you so much
    My tech is working on it :) but I’m having some second thoughts on it
    Another question
    I’ve been eyeing a Eastman T58/v
    Would it be heresy if I bought it?
    I thought it was nutty good for the money and the flame maple binding was to die for
    I was wondering if the Dynas would be better in that thing since it has a solid spruce top with parallel bracing and it’s as loud acoustically as my actual acoustic to get that OLD sound
    It comes with Tv Classics

Craig Encinitas likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.