Mod a Electromatic Jet or Refinish a Duojet?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Stefan87, Jan 13, 2021.

1. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Ok so I have decided that I have a few double ups in my guitars that I really can't make sense anymore, with saying that I am considering letting 4 guitars go (maybe) to get others that I want to give me more of a variety then I have.

So I have been GASing over the blonde FSR powerjet I found on google but with the limited number around and the chance that it's going to cost a fair bit as I will have to import one has made me think two ways.

1. It might be easier to just get a standard black powerjet and get the top refinished in a vintage white to get pretty much the same thing or.

2. Mod my silver 5230T (as I do like it) but to get it to the same spec as a 6128TVP I would need to put in powertrons, new wiring harness, pots, switch, locking tuners (this isn't a must though) and update the bridge to something a little better (there is nothing wrong with the bridge but it's not exactly the same quality as what's on the prolines)

If I mod the 5230T I would probably be around $500.00 off the price of the powerjet as I have found a used one for a fantastic deal, but I don't know how much it would cost to refinish the duojet.

Has anyone here ever got the top of a jet refinished? or even attempted it yourself? This is where I'm stuck on the decision.

Yes I could just keep the powerjet black but in all honesty I just don't realy love black guitars, so much that one of my black ones are going to be leaving me also for that exact reason, and the 5230T would be going if I got the powerjet so that will also offset the cost.

2. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    Do modern Jets still have a nitron plastic top, or are they painted poly? My sparkle jet has a 1/4" thick drum wrap on it, but I don't know about the rest.

3. j.s.c

j.s.c Country Gent

Aug 19, 2008
    france
    The black ones lost their plastic warp during automn 1954......…..

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.