Misunderstood Songs

Landshark2020

Gretschie
Sep 4, 2020
I could never make out what DLR was saying in the first line, sounded like babbling!:

I seen a lotta people lookin' for a moonbeam.
Yeah, ya spent a lot. Ya got lost in the jet-stream.
But ev'rybody wants some.
I want some too.
Ev'rybody wants some.
Baby, how 'bout you?

OzzPocket

Synchromatic
Aug 11, 2020
NYS
One that I never gave a second thought to (though I never quite understood it as I heard it) that I only realized the real lyrics literally a few days ago was a line in Louie Armstrong's "What a Wonderful World"

What I always heard:

I see skies of blue, and clouds of white, The bright blessed day, The dogs say goodnight

The actual lyrics:

I see skies of blue, and clouds of white, the bright blessed day, the dark sacred night (wow, makes more sense, huh?)

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
First hit for the writer - Cat Stevens.
That was Cat? Never knew that. I like the song, and the way it's done. Always like his stuff.
The Tremeloes were the first group I ever heard that sounded better live than on record.
They had a Bird organ. Been trying to find out more about that gear since the show. Found amps, but no organ. They used a pair of Dual Showman amps for PA, and, had slant front 4X12 Nationals for the band. Never seen anything about those either. Heard them in a small dome at Notre Dame, had to be '67 or so.

mrfixitmi

Country Gent
Mar 20, 2010
Michigan
I'm still trying to get past CCR's " Theres a bathroom on the right " ......:p
or was that " theres a bad moon on the rise " ( or does this fall under " lyricists " )

LOL...That was always a crowd favorite.
We would always make it a point to determine if it was the ladies room or the men's on the right. To that point, after the customers had many ginger ales, we would offer the song up as a public service announcement, and remind them there's the Men's room, or there's the Gal's room on the right.

Cheesy yes, but was always good for a few laughs.

Thanks for the good memories.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Home
I'm used to it! Wherever the thread leads, I will follow.

I was an admin and moderator a motorcycle forum that had over 100,000 members and folks would get worked up all the time when threads headed in a new direction, which they did more often than not. Folks wanted the moderators to control the topic. Our policy was, threads have a life of their own. :p

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
I didn't look at video but guess it is about songs where the real message of the song is far different than the perception.......Example: Springsteen's "Born In The USA" is not a red, white, and blue rah, rah for the dream of the the U.S.A. being the mistake-free dream land that is better than all but rather one where the U.S. has abandoned the veterans who sacrificed all for the country.....both politically and social and economic society.

I will most likely never know what any Steely Dan song means.

Another: "Pumped Up Kicks" by Foster The People.....Not a fun jingle for teenagers to get a little goofy with but rather a bleak and scary statement about a bad kid with violent intent who wants things the richer kids have.....especially ones with nice new stylish shoes (pumped up kicks). Here it is with lyrics: