Mesa fans...Which and why?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, Dec 3, 2021.

1. Pine Apple Slim

Pine Apple Slim Country Gent

Dec 14, 2011
    North Alabama
    Way back in the day, early 80s, I lusted after a Mesa 1-12" combo in a local shop. I loved its tone. Thick, rich, and kinda saturated but not really high gain like the modern ones. No idea of the model, and I cant even remember if it was multi channel. But alas I was a broke and had to make do with my old Peavey Artist from a pawnshop, lol.
    It looked kinda like this:
    315F91A3-5357-4662-BFED-074CD1CACF21.png
    If I got a Mesa that would be the tone I'd want, but have no idea what current model is in the same ballpark.

j.s.c, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  2. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Than
    Thanks for taking the time to write that. I’m definitely taking a new approach with the Mesa and its EQ. I’ve done a ton of reading about the amp before I made the purchase.

I also plan on getting a couple 1x12 wide body cabinets. Either making my own Mesa clone type cabs or Eminence has 1x12 cabs at a ridiculously low price.

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/ext-cab-detail/?model=XTC112_BT

Minor difference with the tolex and grill cloth but I can get two cabs and still be less than one Mesa wide body. I have two EVM 12L’s waiting patiently for a cab.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    No worries - always happy to help :)

Yes, as with all heads, choice of cab is important.

I don't know that Eminence speaker so cant' comment.
    I've used 3 different speaker cabs with my Mark V 25.

2 x 12 with V30's, 1 x 12 with Celestion Creamback and 1 x 12 with Celestion C-90 Black Shadow (all made in UK) - all great and a bit different.

V-30s give you a more agreesive mid range tone.
    Similar with Black Shadow but it's smoother than V30.
    Creamback is an alnico voiced speaker - smooth and sweet but still growls.

If I had to choose it would be the Black Shadow & Creamback equal no 1 but only by a touch.

Not sure if you're aware but there's a Boogie Board forum for Mark V that used to be very popular but still has good info on EQ settings, cabs etc. See

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=33

Last edited: Dec 5, 2021
    pmac11 and TubeLife like this.
  4. Tele295

Tele295 Country Gent

I’m considering selling my Mark IIC+ for a MarkV:35 with a Neo speaker. The weight difference is huge, 35 watts is more manageable than 100, and the v:35 has nicer cleans

pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  5. RG7X

RG7X Synchromatic

Nov 11, 2018
    Los Angeles
    I had the Fillmore 25 and current still have a LSS. Fillmore was good but I'd highly recommend going to the 50 unless your just doing quiet jams at home. The 25 just wouldn't get loud enough and the smaller cab didn't allow the big sound I get from the LSS. Mark V's look great too but I've yet to get my hands on one. Best of luck.

NJDevil and pmac11 like this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    The gig volume levels of the 25 and 50 have been much discussed in numerous threads on TGP forum. See this is just one of them

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...head-should-i-check-out-25-50-or-100.2277787/

Many comments from owners opine any gigging issues in the 25 are negated by using the head with a 2 x 12 cab, or mic'ing the amp to the PA. @pmac11 is looking for a head and has cabs :D

7. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    At 72 when I finally decided that my beloved Twin was just to much to haul I opted for a Mesa Express 550. A full 10 lbs lighter, multi channel and variable wattage plus killer tone on all settings made it a no brainer. No regrets at all.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, I'd say none - for me, OK ? Since I still have my Old Anvil Boogie MKIIA...

[​IMG]

... But : I recently entered a MESA MKV 25W head for repair - for the 1s time - so when finished, I'll be able to compare that MKV-25 to my MKIIA and have a detailed opinion then. ;)

A+!

9. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    The Mark five 25, so I can live vicariously through you! You can tweak with it for a long time and not get bored!

Whoa! Now I’m dreaming of the 90! Congrats!

TubeLife, pmac11 and Waxhead like this.
  10. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Original Boogie Mkll of course!

pmac11 likes this.
  11. gjohnson441496

gjohnson441496 Gretschie

Jan 2, 2018
    USA
    Fillmore 25. I have one and like it a lot.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2021
  12. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I look forward to it. Mark IIs show up on here the used market now and then, but are usually priced a few thousand more than a used Mark V 25.

Waxhead likes this.
  13. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Beware @pmac11 o_O : old MKIIA and B will certainly need quite serious wiring improvements in order to become silent (no hum / hiss / buzz) if you are picky about noise like I am... And also some mods to make the controls (particularly the Volumes and Masters) more easier to set up ! Once done, the MKIIA is truly unrivalled by its successors, with the exception of the IIB that come close (once modded too).

That said, it is not an easy task at all to achieve :confused::mad:, so if you're not ready to go that way to reveal the true hidden potential of the MKIIA (or B), a MKV-25 is a better choice, clearly ! :cool:

A+!

pmac11 likes this.
  14. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    This one is on my wish list, WITH the graphic EQ, of course. These are great amps

GAMBLER1234 and Waxhead like this.
  15. NJDevil

NJDevil Country Gent

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    I love the FX loop in the Recto-verb and Fillmore. I could easily get to where I wanted with both but would need 50W to gig with.

The Recto and Fillmore take the pedals I like extremely well so really would just flip a coin. It's Mesa Boogie and the Lonestar was my favorite but it might just be an "ask me what mood I'm in for" case for the Fillmore and Recto......each day might bring a different answer. I don't know much about the Mark V but have no doubt that it is killer!

Final decision? Fillmore for tone, and FX loop.

16. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Yes a good FX loop is an essential requirement for me.

MB typically does a great job on serial loops and the 5:50, 5:25 and Mark V one's are A1 quality :D

pmac11 and NJDevil like this.
  17. GAMBLER1234

GAMBLER1234 Gretschie

Jan 18, 2018
    Henderson Nevada
    You won't regret it. Very versatile as well.

gtttrrr and Waxhead like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.