Mesa fans...Which and why?

Pine Apple Slim

Country Gent
Dec 14, 2011
North Alabama
Way back in the day, early 80s, I lusted after a Mesa 1-12" combo in a local shop. I loved its tone. Thick, rich, and kinda saturated but not really high gain like the modern ones. No idea of the model, and I cant even remember if it was multi channel. But alas I was a broke and had to make do with my old Peavey Artist from a pawnshop, lol.
It looked kinda like this:
315F91A3-5357-4662-BFED-074CD1CACF21.png
If I got a Mesa that would be the tone I'd want, but have no idea what current model is in the same ballpark.

TubeLife

Synchromatic
Jan 23, 2020
Chicagoland
Than
ok congrats - I'll be interested to see your opinion on it.

I have 5 rec's for you on Mark V

a) Read the manual twice :)
b) Always keep the bass dial under 11 oclock on all modes.
c) Decrease bass as you increase gain - 8-9 oclock is good most of the time.
d) Don't even touch the graphic EQ section until you're familiar and comfortable with the normal EQ pots.
e) Use your ears for EQing, forget past experiences with Fender/Marshall/Vox amps and...... experiment with seemingly exteme settings - it'll surprise you :)

Yes Mark V 90w is excellent at bedroom levels too.
Reasons I got the 25W instead were it's much lighter weight, size and cheaper price. Also had plans to gig it often (pre covid) and 25w of Mesa is enough for that.

Thanks for taking the time to write that. I’m definitely taking a new approach with the Mesa and its EQ. I’ve done a ton of reading about the amp before I made the purchase.

I also plan on getting a couple 1x12 wide body cabinets. Either making my own Mesa clone type cabs or Eminence has 1x12 cabs at a ridiculously low price.

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/ext-cab-detail/?model=XTC112_BT

Minor difference with the tolex and grill cloth but I can get two cabs and still be less than one Mesa wide body. I have two EVM 12L’s waiting patiently for a cab.

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
Than

Thanks for taking the time to write that. I’m definitely taking a new approach with the Mesa and its EQ. I’ve done a ton of reading about the amp before I made the purchase.

I also plan on getting a couple 1x12 wide body cabinets. Either making my own Mesa clone type cabs or Eminence has 1x12 cabs at a ridiculously low price.

https://www.eminence.com/speakers/ext-cab-detail/?model=XTC112_BT

Minor difference with the tolex and grill cloth but I can get two cabs and still be less than one Mesa wide body. I have two EVM 12L’s waiting patiently for a cab.

No worries - always happy to help :)

Yes, as with all heads, choice of cab is important.

I don't know that Eminence speaker so cant' comment.
I've used 3 different speaker cabs with my Mark V 25.

2 x 12 with V30's, 1 x 12 with Celestion Creamback and 1 x 12 with Celestion C-90 Black Shadow (all made in UK) - all great and a bit different.

V-30s give you a more agreesive mid range tone.
Similar with Black Shadow but it's smoother than V30.
Creamback is an alnico voiced speaker - smooth and sweet but still growls.

If I had to choose it would be the Black Shadow & Creamback equal no 1 but only by a touch.

Not sure if you're aware but there's a Boogie Board forum for Mark V that used to be very popular but still has good info on EQ settings, cabs etc. See

http://forum.grailtone.com/viewforum.php?f=33

Last edited:

RG7X

Synchromatic
Nov 11, 2018
Los Angeles
I had the Fillmore 25 and current still have a LSS. Fillmore was good but I'd highly recommend going to the 50 unless your just doing quiet jams at home. The 25 just wouldn't get loud enough and the smaller cab didn't allow the big sound I get from the LSS. Mark V's look great too but I've yet to get my hands on one. Best of luck.

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
I had the Fillmore 25 and current still have a LSS. Fillmore was good but I'd highly recommend going to the 50 unless your just doing quiet jams at home. The 25 just wouldn't get loud enough and the smaller cab didn't allow the big sound I get from the LSS. Mark V's look great too but I've yet to get my hands on one. Best of luck.

The gig volume levels of the 25 and 50 have been much discussed in numerous threads on TGP forum. See this is just one of them

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/i...head-should-i-check-out-25-50-or-100.2277787/

Many comments from owners opine any gigging issues in the 25 are negated by using the head with a 2 x 12 cab, or mic'ing the amp to the PA. @pmac11 is looking for a head and has cabs :D

GAMBLER1234

Gretschie
Jan 18, 2018
Henderson Nevada
At 72 when I finally decided that my beloved Twin was just to much to haul I opted for a Mesa Express 550. A full 10 lbs lighter, multi channel and variable wattage plus killer tone on all settings made it a no brainer. No regrets at all.

AM-JKLWqy25t9LoVQz3w8heQ2H6QHSlBKLBsJCuKJgO4Ub8MY8AV3sRL7JcUP2SePvcxlC4S6WQBm84geXUpXaho26IRgnEYJ1GaJDaZd6HkpC5453EpVj_EiMhUvmSNhw1Ohs_34KUphlRFcPpXHejCn0YH=w454-h640-no

AM-JKLUMHP-VckIBE-0Wgp1eH4D4w8HEAGXnAOJhr9z51FdnJHU_KNL_7izdsmv9nqBe1vZ4OVOrK2UXS2LrHFHUFKxl2KiOTJhujeZMYN3gskRUblhdLBvo8TLBLdDFopJ1DAenFTAkf6IYkxZlS6YHUWGk=w682-h894-no

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
1) Mark V 25; 2) Fillmore 25; 3) Rectoverb 25

Well, I'd say none - for me, OK ? Since I still have my Old Anvil Boogie MKIIA...

19100510321425019416443826.jpg

... But : I recently entered a MESA MKV 25W head for repair - for the 1s time - so when finished, I'll be able to compare that MKV-25 to my MKIIA and have a detailed opinion then. ;)

A+!

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
The Mark five 25, so I can live vicariously through you! You can tweak with it for a long time and not get bored!
If you had to choose between the following three Mesa Boogie heads, which one would you pick and why?

1) Mark V 25; 2) Fillmore 25; 3) Rectoverb 25

I love big fat clean tones, edge of breakup chords, and liquid sizzle in the leads. Looking to replace and upgrade my F50 combo with a more portable head + cabinet rig.

The cab is already looked after.

Have at it! Thanks in advance...

Whoa! Now I’m dreaming of the 90! Congrats!
Well, I never thought I would cross over to the other side, (from Fender amps) but I have a new Mesa Mark V 90 Head ordered and currently waiting for it to be shipped. It’s been pushed back a couple of weeks already, hopefully soon though. I’m very excited to try this amp out. I got it because I’m a chameleon type player and I’m often playing everything from heavy distortion Metallica type of stuff to Grateful Dead type cleans and everything in between.

I went with the 90 not because of the power, but because of the versatility, the 6L6’s it uses and the ability to get clean, crunch and distortion on 3 separate channels. I’ve also read over and over that it’s actually a more friendly amp to play at lower volumes vs its little brothers, the 35 and 25 due to the way the master volume works. I have heard great things about all the amps mentioned, but I can’t wait for the 90 to arrive.

pmac11

Country Gent
Mar 4, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Well, I'd say none - for me, OK ? Since I still have my Old Anvil Boogie MKIIA...

19100510321425019416443826.jpg

... But : I recently entered a MESA MKV 25W head for repair - for the 1s time - so when finished, I'll be able to compare that MKV-25 to my MKIIA and have a detailed opinion then. ;)

A+!
I look forward to it. Mark IIs show up on here the used market now and then, but are usually priced a few thousand more than a used Mark V 25.

hcsterg

Friend of Fred
Feb 13, 2012
France
I look forward to it. Mark IIs show up on here the used market now and then, but are usually priced a few thousand more than a used Mark V 25.

Beware @pmac11 o_O : old MKIIA and B will certainly need quite serious wiring improvements in order to become silent (no hum / hiss / buzz) if you are picky about noise like I am... And also some mods to make the controls (particularly the Volumes and Masters) more easier to set up ! Once done, the MKIIA is truly unrivalled by its successors, with the exception of the IIB that come close (once modded too).

That said, it is not an easy task at all to achieve :confused::mad:, so if you're not ready to go that way to reveal the true hidden potential of the MKIIA (or B), a MKV-25 is a better choice, clearly ! :cool:

A+!

NJDevil

Country Gent
Jul 9, 2014
Commack, NY
I love the FX loop in the Recto-verb and Fillmore. I could easily get to where I wanted with both but would need 50W to gig with.

The Recto and Fillmore take the pedals I like extremely well so really would just flip a coin. It's Mesa Boogie and the Lonestar was my favorite but it might just be an "ask me what mood I'm in for" case for the Fillmore and Recto......each day might bring a different answer. I don't know much about the Mark V but have no doubt that it is killer!

Final decision? Fillmore for tone, and FX loop.

Waxhead

Friend of Fred
Aug 30, 2014
Australia
I love the FX loop in the Recto-verb and Fillmore. I could easily get to where I wanted with both but would need 50W to gig with.

The Recto and Fillmore take the pedals I like extremely well so really would just flip a coin. It's Mesa Boogie and the Lonestar was my favorite but it might just be an "ask me what mood I'm in for" case for the Fillmore and Recto......each day might bring a different answer. I don't know much about the Mark V but have no doubt that it is killer!

Final decision? Fillmore for tone, and FX loop.

Yes a good FX loop is an essential requirement for me.

MB typically does a great job on serial loops and the 5:50, 5:25 and Mark V one's are A1 quality :D

O Riley

Synchromatic
Jun 2, 2018
Beautifull Tennessee
Way back in the day, early 80s, I lusted after a Mesa 1-12" combo in a local shop. I loved its tone. Thick, rich, and kinda saturated but not really high gain like the modern ones. No idea of the model, and I cant even remember if it was multi channel. But alas I was a broke and had to make do with my old Peavey Artist from a pawnshop, lol.
It looked kinda like this:
View attachment 171930
If I got a Mesa that would be the tone I'd want, but have no idea what current model is in the same ballpark.
Looks like a Boogie Mrk.1
Maybe a reissue, not that that matters. 100 / 60 watts of pure Mesa tone.
And the hardwood cab is beautiful. I wanted that same cab on my Mark 1 .
But didn't have the $500 for the upgrade. So I just went with the basic black.
My thoughts were, I could always switch cabs later on down the road.

Latest posts