Mesa fans...Which and why?

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by pmac11, Dec 3, 2021.

1. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    If you had to choose between the following three Mesa Boogie heads, which one would you pick and why?

1) Mark V 25; 2) Fillmore 25; 3) Rectoverb 25

I love big fat clean tones, edge of breakup chords, and liquid sizzle in the leads. Looking to replace and upgrade my F50 combo with a more portable head + cabinet rig.

The cab is already looked after.

Have at it! Thanks in advance...

Bertotti likes this.
  2. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have played the Rectoverb 25 and think it's one of the best combos out there, certainly when taking into account value. Can do anything up to hard rock (I don't djent so don't ask).

Mesa V I played very briefly, maybe an older version. If you want a Swiss army amp, then it's the one to get. It's It's flagship. If you don't mind the complexity and money is not a factor . . . .

Fillmore I never played.

pmac11 likes this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks @Henry ... I don't djent either, so this helps!

4. Shock

Shock Gretschie

Sep 7, 2020
    Minnesota
    I have heard a Triple Rectifier only twice, but it got my attention. Last month I heard a guy playing a Triple with an SG with P90s. Hard to not want that sound. Problem is, what if I got tired of that sound? Very expensive for something I may get tired of. So I talk myself out of it pretty quickly. But that is the one I would want if I was going to get a Mesa.

pmac11 likes this.
  5. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cuz, Tamales man.

pmac11 likes this.
  6. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    They're all different... I'll suggest for you (not for me) so... Qs for you

a) How much gain do you want max ??
    Do you want F-50 levels - more or less than F-50 ?

b) What flavour of cleans - Fenderish or ???

c) Is weight & size an issue? What's your max

d) Is cost an issue - what's your budget ?

e) where will it mainly be used - home, recording, gigging

7. TubeLife

TubeLife Synchromatic

Jan 23, 2020
    Chicagoland
    Well, I never thought I would cross over to the other side, (from Fender amps) but I have a new Mesa Mark V 90 Head ordered and currently waiting for it to be shipped. It’s been pushed back a couple of weeks already, hopefully soon though. I’m very excited to try this amp out. I got it because I’m a chameleon type player and I’m often playing everything from heavy distortion Metallica type of stuff to Grateful Dead type cleans and everything in between.

I went with the 90 not because of the power, but because of the versatility, the 6L6’s it uses and the ability to get clean, crunch and distortion on 3 separate channels. I’ve also read over and over that it’s actually a more friendly amp to play at lower volumes vs its little brothers, the 35 and 25 due to the way the master volume works. I have heard great things about all the amps mentioned, but I can’t wait for the 90 to arrive.

NJDevil, Bertotti, Henry and 2 others like this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    All Mesa stuff is great.
    As @Waxhead stated it is a matter of your personal requirements which to choose.
    I made very good experiences with Mark-type Mesas. They are incredibly versatile if you are willing to invest the time to dial them in.

Marv666 and Waxhead like this.
  9. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    a) Gain, about the same is fine. I don't djent.
    b) Cleans, I like the F50 cleans..prefer them a bit more mid forward than Fender. I played a friend's Lonestar Classic and it floored me.
    c) Going for a head, small and less than 25 pounds
    d) I'll be buying used, can afford any of the three I've listed
    e) All of the above

But my posted question is, which would you buy and why?

Waxhead likes this.
  10. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    @wildeman I can usually follow your line of thought. This time I'm at a loss...

11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Thanks! That's why I ask people what they'd choose and why.
    People like to talk about themselves, and I just look to see how much their reasons/ situations line up with mine :)

Last edited: Dec 4, 2021
    sgarnett and Waxhead like this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    :D the dough used to make tamales is called Masa....
    Oh yeah, i like the Fillmore outta those amps;)

Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’m in the market for a recto-verb 25 combo myself. I’ve been researching and I’ve decided on that one. How did you like the F-30?

Waxhead and pmac11 like this.
  14. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I have the F50 combo and it's awesome, but a bugger to move around at 50+ pounds. So I'm looking for something comparable in a head.
    The F50 clean channel is heavenly, although I can't get edge of breakup tones out of it. The preamp has loads of headroom. The drive channel is the opposite...a fire breathing dragon of liquid fury, with far more gain on tap than I'll ever use. But with the gain dialed way down, and the guitar volume rolled back, it's a great tone for leads in the vein of Larry Carlton/ Robben Ford. Heck, maybe I'll just make a head shell for it and save myself a few bucks :)

nickurso and Waxhead like this.
  15. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well I've made my choices and am happy with all of em.

Started with Express 5:50 and then to Mark V 25 and then added TA-15 :)

I strongly recommend you test all the amps your considering before buying used.
    And read the manual on these amps before testing and go in with some manual recommended settings to test. Otherwise you could get caught (like so many others) not liking them cos you didn't know how to dial them in right.

A couple of things to note....
    Fillmore 25 is a fantastic Fender style amp and much better than any Fender imo. But may not have enough gain for your needs. Doesn't have enough gain for me either and also no variable power scaling. So I'd not buy it for those 2 reasons.

Ditto Lonestar on the gain issue. Lonestar Special does have variable power scaling but.... Lonestar cleans and reverb were cloned into Mark V, Rectoverb and Express amps. It's the Fat Clean mode on Mark V.

But if I was exclusively a clean and edge of breakup player Lonestar Special and Fillmore 25 would be my top picks.

For F-50 gain levels you'll need to stick to Mark V, Rectoverb, TA-15.
    All the Mesa's mentioned in this thread are excellent amps imo.

But for incredible versatility, low weight (16 pounds), lunch box size and consistently great tones thru whole gain range nothing beats Mark V 25 imo. Edge of breakup tones can easily by found by cranking the gain and mids dials on the 2 clean modes or by keeping gain very low on the crunch mode.

Mark V 90w is clearly the best amp ever made imo and the 25 is the best low watt amp ever made imo.

Honorable mention also goes to TA-15 for being even lighter (12 pounds) and almost as versatile in a different way to Mark V. It covers both Vox AC modes, Fender Tweed, Marshall overdrive and Boogie lead tones. A little gem that is cheap if you can find a used one...

But I say go direct to the top - Mark V 25 for you sir :D
    Like me you may not ever use the Extreme mode on Mark V but doesn't matter cos even minus that it's still the most versatile amp ever made.

What speakers do you have in your cabs ??

ZackyDog and pmac11 like this.
  16. Waxhead

Waxhead Friend of Fred

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok congrats - I'll be interested to see your opinion on it.

I have 5 rec's for you on Mark V

a) Read the manual twice :)
    b) Always keep the bass dial under 11 oclock on all modes.
    c) Decrease bass as you increase gain - 8-9 oclock is good most of the time.
    d) Don't even touch the graphic EQ section until you're familiar and comfortable with the normal EQ pots.
    e) Use your ears for EQing, forget past experiences with Fender/Marshall/Vox amps and...... experiment with seemingly exteme settings - it'll surprise you :)

Yes Mark V 90w is excellent at bedroom levels too.
    Reasons I got the 25W instead were it's much lighter weight, size and cheaper price. Also had plans to gig it often (pre covid) and 25w of Mesa is enough for that.

pmac11 and TubeLife like this.
  17. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Given what you're describing, I'd also look outside Mesa too. But if it's gotta be a Mesa, try out a Fillmore. But even that doesn't excite me like a Lonestar Special. That would be my top Mesa choice.

pmac11 likes this.
  18. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I've got an widebody 112 by Veteran Guitar Cabinets here in Ontario. It currently has a 70W Tone Tubby GMC Alnico, although I could also use either a Jensen C12N, or an Eminence Swamp Thang.

Loving this advice man! Thanks.

Waxhead likes this.
  19. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    More of a burrito man myself. And tacos. Mmmmm, tacos....

wildeman and Waxhead like this.
  20. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Screenshot_2021-12-04-17-32-17-1.png

pmac11 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.