Mesa Boogie Transatlantic TA-15 Review

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Waxhead, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    thanks Stefan - yeah a guy from Canberra A$1100 including shipping and a new complete set of JJ tubes.
    Took me about a yr to find one in Aust - as rare as hens teeth here :eek:

Stefan87 likes this.
  2. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow that was a good buy, worth the wait no doubt.

Waxhead likes this.
  3. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Nice write up!

Waxhead likes this.
  4. rcboals

rcboals Country Gent

Nov 21, 2008
    Springfield Oregon
    Both TA15's Vox normal set clean. The Les Paul 1x12 with the Mesa Black Shadow speaker. I was playing through the 2x12 Laney cab with a Celestion Vintage 30 60 watt and a Celestion G12H 30 Watt 70th anniversary.

Waxhead likes this.
  5. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    ok still very jangly/chimey thru those speakers :)

6. hcsterg

hcsterg Friend of Fred

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Rmccamey, Henry, pmac11 and 1 other person like this.
  7. colchar

colchar Electromatic

Oct 5, 2020
    Southern Ontario
    Nice review, but your claim that Vox AC amps don't mix well with distortion and fuzz pedals and are famous for that is completely false. I own an AC30, and have previously owned two AC15s and they all worked just fine with pedals.

8. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    There's many threads on TPG on exactly that and most have many pages of responses from AC owners. I've seen posts from any AC owners advising people not to buy that amp if they use distortion/fuzz pedals.

Plus I've got 4 friends who've owned AC30 and struggled for years to find a distortion pedal that matched well with them. 2 of them sold the AC for that reason.

Distortion and fuzz (overdrive is a different beast).
    If you've found great sounding distortion pedals with your AC30 excellent :D

9. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
  10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Well another month has passed since I got this TA-15 and I continue to be impressed.
    Honeymoon is over.
    I'm playing it for hours every day and it's versatility is very impressive.

It's Vox tones on 2 voices are certainly the equal of an AC30 re-issue - a touch different but equal in quality imo. But on the 5w and 15w settings it sounds better than AC30/AC15 due to it being easily adjustable at low volume with its Master dial. TA-15 Top Boost voice also has considerably more gain than AC30. So channel 1 is much more versatile than an AC30 imo. And it weighs 12 pounds :)

Channel 2 does Fender Tweed, JCM style Marshall and Mesa Boogie mid gain.
    TA-15 does not do metal tones.

Fender Tweed voice is very impressive, sounding the same quality as the best Fender Tweed amp but again it's better at low volume due to 15w, 5w and Master dial options.
    Again it has more gain at top end than a Fender.

The Marshall voice ranges from low gain JCM overdrive to a Marshall on steriods.
    On 25w it's as great as a real Marshall imo but better on 15w or 5w.

Mesa Boogie have shown Fender, Marshall and Vox how to do bedroom volume.
    Being so versatile TA-15 does require re EQing for each channel but its independent EQs cover that.
    Reading the manual and experimenting is essential.
    I've got bass on zero for the Marshall and Boogie voices.

Ironically the least impressive voice for me is its channel 2 Boogie gain voice.
    It's similar to the Mark IIC+ voice on my Mark V and not the equal of it imo.

While Mark V bottom end is tighter and smoother that's no criticism of the TA-15 as Mark V has the best mid-high gain tones ever produced in an amp imo. If you didn't already own a Mark V you'd think the TA-15s Boogie voice was fabulous :D

Rmccamey likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.