Meet the new car, same as the old car

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
Okay, not really. This has a lot of improvements over the previous version I owned. I considered a lot of other cars, everything from a Corvette Z06 to a Porsche 718 to a BMW Z4 to a Toyota GR86. I just kept coming back to this. Found a no-shenanigans deal and bit on it. Driving it feels like I'm back home again. Good times.

P_20221129_113747.jpg

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
I'd like to give this a "like" but then I'd confirm that I'm a middle-aged male. LOL Cool ride tho.

Luckily for me, I absolutely couldn't care less what other people think of me, so if people think I'm driving the secretary's car, so be it. 😀 I've had a lot of fun cars over the years, and a Miata is the most fun you can have on four wheels in a public setting.

TSims1

Gretschified
Jun 18, 2013
Atlanta
Luckily for me, I absolutely couldn't care less what other people think of me, so if people think I'm driving the secretary's car, so be it. 😀 I've had a lot of fun cars over the years, and a Miata is the most fun you can have on four wheels in a public setting.

Miata will be my next car. Although I gotta say, my wife’s Mini Cooper S is a BLAST to drive.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
Miata will be my next car. Although I gotta say, my wife’s Mini Cooper S is a BLAST to drive.

I love driving the Cooper S...so much fun. One of the only reasons I went for this instead is the rear-drive dynamics. It's pretty fun to be able to kick the tail out on a left-hand intersection turn and adjust the angle with the throttle, all while being below the speed limit. If you haven't owned a Miata yet, you are going to love it.

afire

Friend of Fred
Feb 12, 2009
Where the action is!
One of the only reasons I went for this instead is the rear-drive dynamics.
I drove a rear-wheel drive car for a short period one time and never will again. It was impossible to get anywhere in the winter. My neighborhood is gently hilly and mean gently. I was constantly getting stuck on just about any incline and had to back my way down and find flatter routes to anywhere I needed to go. Obviously you aren't going to be running into that problem in Arizona, but it was shocking to me how much of a different it makes.

6187LX

Gretschie
Aug 11, 2022
Up Around the Bend
My father had a 2003 Miata and it was a blast to drive. The analog dash was a joy; I loathe digital instrumentation. Best time I had was taking it down Highway 1 from Carmel to Hearst Castle very early one morning. Had the road to myself. But it was best as a good weather car. We get snow occasionally and I saw a BMW Z4 (also rear-wheel drive) that couldn't make it up even the slightest snow-dusted hill..

Emergence

Synchromatic
Gold Supporting Member
May 25, 2022
New York
View attachment 195738
Right companies wrong models. 😊
There’s no more right or wrong to automobiles than there is to guitars. The right car is the one that’s right for you, with maybe one exception. My son told me once that it’s not fair that only geezers can afford the good ones but they’re too old to appreciate them. Not so. This is our toy.
08BD5E68-DEAA-482A-AC70-AF59569A4409.jpeg
It replaced an SLK which replaced a Boxter. It’s a hoot. And it’s amazingly well designed. We had a clear cold day, 29*F, last winter and drove around with the top down feeling perfectly warm with the wind flowing over our heads and around the cabin. I felt like the Red Baron out hunting for Snoopy.

Our other BMW is a nice staid 330i with X-drive. Sometimes it snows.

MrWookiee

Country Gent
Jun 17, 2020
SoCal, USA
I agree that a Miata is fun but the later version just doesn't have enough leg/footwell room for me to even operate it safely. When I need to get my sports car jollies I drive my 2016 BRZ blue spec. Otherwise it's a fifth-gen 4Runner.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I learned how to drive in deep Lake Effect snow in a rear wheel car. 4WD is obviously better, tho, especially when the snow is over the bumper. For fun tho, a small 2WD roadster is the tops. I'd go from Triumphs to four by fours. Now in my old age, I drive a Jeep Cherokee or a little Chevy HHR. Roads have gotten too crowded with idiots.

AZBrahma

Synchromatic
Dec 18, 2020
Arizona
There’s no more right or wrong to automobiles than there is to guitars. The right car is the one that’s right for you, with maybe one exception. My son told me once that it’s not fair that only geezers can afford the good ones but they’re too old to appreciate them. Not so. This is our toy.
View attachment 195743
It replaced an SLK which replaced a Boxter. It’s a hoot. And it’s amazingly well designed. We had a clear cold day, 29*F, last winter and drove around with the top down feeling perfectly warm with the wind flowing over our heads and around the cabin. I felt like the Red Baron out hunting for Snoopy.

Our other BMW is a nice staid 330i with X-drive. Sometimes it snows.

Beautiful car. One of these would have been on the short list if they were available with a manual. After all these years I am still not willing to give up rowing my own gears. Needless to say I don't have a whole lot of choices left. There is a new Supra with a manual, same chassis and powertrain as a Z4, but unfortunately to my eye they are hopelessly ugly and no convertible is available.

Ironically, I'm probably the exact target demographic for all the cars you mentioned, and the cost wasn't a factor. I still find it interesting that I went with the least expensive option I considered because that is the one that genuinely spoke to me. A butt for every seat!