Master Tone Knob issue?

Reject423

Electromatic
Jan 4, 2022
Kentucky
So I just joined the Gretsch club as my first electric guitar. I have a few basses so I have some experience in the field.

Anyways I got the G2215-P90 Streamliner Junior Jet Club for $250 “brand new” from Musicians Friend last week which seemed like a killer deal.

It just came today and I got it all set up. However I have a few issues. One minor is there is some warping/cracking damage during production but it’s only noticeable as a bump on near the 1/4” jack, the finish itself appears to be fine.

The major issue is the knobs. The master tone seems to “not work” at all, one direction or the other it sounds identical, I also had my singer/songwriter wife check it out and she agrees.

The volume control knob “works” but it’s completely silent until you turn it to about 3/4 of the way to the right. Then sound will start coming out… so it gives maybe a quarter turn from a little volume to max.

I realize I did get a low end Gretsch but it’s feeling a bit like a B-Stock item and from my understanding Musicians Friend makes you pay for shipping and handling on returns. I just want to exchange it for a working one, or figure out what I can do to fix it. The quality control card is signed off by Gretsch on 6/18/21.

Randy99CL

Country Gent
Feb 17, 2020
Albuquerque
I wish that Gretsch spent more time sorting out the wiring and electronics in their less-expensive guitars.

Try the volume in all three pickup positions and see if you can live with it. Some companies use audio taper pots while others are linear and what you are getting may be normal for that model.

You may not know that you can return MF merch to any GC store and save return shipping costs.

twangmanster

Gretschie
Dec 29, 2021
Long Island
Send it back before the time expires and get another one. They tend to be good about that. Its very inconvenient, but why keep something you paid for thats flawed.

Reject423

Electromatic
Jan 4, 2022
Kentucky
I wish that Gretsch spent more time sorting out the wiring and electronics in their less-expensive guitars.

Try the volume in all three pickup positions and see if you can live with it. Some companies use audio taper pots while others are linear and what you are getting may be normal for that model.

You may not know that you can return MF merch to any GC store and save return shipping costs.

Oh thanks I did not know you could do that. There is a GC here in Lexington. I will get MF a call and see what they can do. Thanks for the tip.

Reject423

Electromatic
Jan 4, 2022
Kentucky
Send it back before the time expires and get another one. They tend to be good about that. Its very inconvenient, but why keep something you paid for thats flawed.

Yeah I don't mind the wait but the cost of paying shipping + handling cost that's almost 1/4 the price of the instrument is a bit.

I agree I don't want to be repairing a "brand new" unit out of the box if I can avoid it.

stevo

Friend of Fred
May 1, 2012
Atlanta
Are you handy with a soldering iron? I’d be inclined to sort that myself with new / good pots.

Reject423

Electromatic
Jan 4, 2022
Kentucky
Are you handy with a soldering iron? I’d be inclined to sort that myself with new / good pots.

I am decent and I heavily thought about that but decided to call their customer service first. Since the issue was electrical/mechanical, they offered to honor the discount price I got it at for a new one in what I think is a better color ( Barrel Stain vs. Sahara ), plus they are paying for shipping back.

I am pleased with that service and look forward to receiving the new order, hopefully in better condition. If I experience the similar things though I will resort to opening it up and fixing.

kdm1218

Electromatic
Jun 17, 2021
TX
The volume knob issue sounds like it is a cheap linear pot. My 5435 did the same until I changed it out for audio taper pots.

PCollen

Electromatic
Jan 11, 2021

THAT is valuable information that I didn't know after all the years buying from MF. Luckily, I have never had to return anything to MF......yet.

Latest posts