Marty Stuart last nite

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by swivel, Sep 18, 2021.

1. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    Well, after waiting almost 2 years and through 3 cancellations, Marty Stuart & His Superlatives came to town last night.
    It was a great show with much more diverse music than I thought.

-There were songs that were very early 70's British invasion type of sound. Like some of the one hit British wonders songs. But they were not those songs, just sounded like that Genre.
    -There were a few songs of old guitar instrumental rock, like "Apache" (which they did)

The players were all amazing.
    -Marty and his cousin (the other guitarist) both played Teles a lot and both Teles had Strat pickups in the neck. Not that it mattered much as they played almost entirely on the bridge pickups.
    -Marty is an animal on that Mandolin!
    -Both were using Deluxe Reverbs.... I think. Marty's was a drip edge SF and could have been a Vibrolux, not sure, the faceplate was so reflective.

At any rate, great show even though it's not the type of show I would usually go to. I originally bought tickets in 2019 just to see the musicianship.

gretschbigsby, NJDevil, r0de0 and 5 others like this.
  2. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Good deal.

Love these guys and can't wait to see them again.

One heck of a tight band, always a great show.

3. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Cousin Kenny Vaughn is Marty's equal on guitar.
    I don't think Marty has an equal on the mando.
    Chris Scruggs (Earl Scruggs grandson) on bass.
    Can't remember the drummer's name, tho.

Fabulous Superlatives is a quite appropriate name for this band.
    Kenny was using a Princeton Reverb for a long time.

Check out their Bluegrass version of Tom Petty's "Runnin' Down A Dream".

4. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Great musicians , all of them . I use to watch The Marty Stuart Show right after Larry's Country Diner , back to back until my cable provider took away the country station . Miss them . Thanks for posting

wabash slim likes this.
  5. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    RFDTV? They had Mollie's Polka Party, Barnwood Builders and Tractor Fever, too!

thunder58 likes this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    That's the one

wabash slim likes this.
  7. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Good stuff. Is that a rickenbacker on the left? Hard to tell as the light reflects off it.

8. JAP09

JAP09 Electromatic

Nov 12, 2019
    Atlanta, Ga
    So good! I think Clarence White’s old telecaster with the b-bender is the coolest tele in existence. Marty and the superlatives are awesome. Haven’t seen them live yet but I always try to catch them on the Opry live stream when they’re playing the opry.

9. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Aye juks,it's a 370/12 with a harp tailpiece fitted,much better than those R tails.

Tele295 likes this.
  10. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    For a moment I thought the thread title was "Marty Stuart Late Rites" and I thought, "Oh no! Not another one." :eek: We were supposed to see him with Steve Miller last year but it was canceled. :( Glad it was a great show. Hope to see him someday. Kenny Vaughan is a great guitarist too. (I'd didn't know he was Marty's cousin.)

11. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Probably the tightest band I've ever seen. Well, TIED for tightest- with Los Lonely Boys, who are 3 brothers who have been a band since diapers. And that includes vocals- BOTH bands.

MS&TFS really are an American Treasure, it's sad more people don't think so.

G5422T likes this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Yes indeed.

Tightest band on my list too, not to mention their vocal dynamics. Loud and raw quartet to pin drop soft, live.

Ah shoot. Throw in the just how they do it all.

wabash slim likes this.
  13. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    Handsome Harry Stinton. Played with Steve Earle and is also a producer (and fine vocalist!).

wabash slim likes this.
  14. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    YES, HE PLAYED IT A FEW TIMES ON THOSE FAUX BRITISH INVASION SOUNDING SONGS!
    oops I'm shouting...

juks likes this.
  15. wabash slim

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Marty tells the story of how Clarence White's wife gave him the Tele. You can find it on yootoob.

swivel likes this.
  16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    Cousin Kenny's got an el pescadoro, any chance you got a peek at his rig closely?

17. Redliner

Redliner Electromatic

May 7, 2011
    Fleetwood, PA
    They are great. I remember the first time we saw them in a little venue. Marty gets out the mandolin and said "Here is a song by one of the old great bluegrass pickers Willie Dixon." Then he bust out into My Babe on the mandolin. I started laughing, my wife asks what is so funny. Told her would explain later. When he was done he told us that he loves playing these small venues because he can get away with things like that and people would love it. Have seen them several times. Would love to see Cousin Kenny sometime, have his album V. Good stuff.

wabash slim and oneforsorrow like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.