Marshall VS Bassman!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by MKunie, Oct 28, 2021.

1. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Sold this one for EUR 4.000 last year:JTM45 built in 1965, Yes, it`s true.
    IMG_2788.JPG
    It had a new skin and very vew new parts but a bit damaged chassis..,otherwhise dead-original.
    Factoring in that I originally bought it for DM 200 in 1985(that was less than 100 USD back then) it was an incredilble deal in hindsight. What makes me happy is that I sold it to a veritable Rockstar from the Netherlands.

This was an integral part of my recorded documentary over the last 35+ years.
    But to be totally clear: There are better amps around for me and I needed the money desperately.

Besides this one I used to own an incredibly rare Marshall Major, a 1987 in bright red, another 1987 that was originally owned by Rudof Schenker of the Scorpions, a 1959 Super Lead from 1970, two white Anniversary JCM 800 Double Stacks , four really old 1960 Boxes and three 1960 Boxes mostly from the JCM900 series that I still own today. All at the same point of time.
    Vintage Marshall is in my DNA.
    I used to be a serious collector and I sold most of them during the last years because I had no serious reason anymore to be a "curator". You cannot play those gear anymore in public without the fear of getting it stolen or damaged.
    It is generally too loud to get along and too expensive to get properly maintained if you are an "originality fanatic" like me.
    Are you able to pay more than 1000 EUR for original NOS tubes per year plus the same ammount for general maintainance for something that is not played every day? Me not. So I had to make a decission.

I settled for other manufacturers that are more suitable for my personal needs and wallet.
    I deeply regret selling these icons but that`s what I had to do for keeping the family business running.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021
    wabash slim, Waxhead, Marv666 and 4 others like this.
  2. budglo

budglo Electromatic

Feb 26, 2019
    Ohio
    My 59 Bassman turned my dsl 40c into a closet queen. To be fair, it’s half the price,so some of that is to be expected.

3. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Sorry you had to sell most of the collection Frank. I can only think of one or two veritable rockstars in the Netherlands who might be interested in a JTM45. Either A.V or A.L, and I think it’s the first. Am I close?

loudnlousy likes this.
  5. Ktone

Ktone Electromatic

Oct 31, 2021
    SE PA USA
    I am in agreement. I have a DSL40CR which I think is one of the most versatile amps out there and has some of the best tube-overdriven tones as well as great cleans (to my ears). It is absolutely one of the best values in quality tube amps. When I play out, I've used the DSL and gotten everything I need. I also have a DSL5CR that is my go-to home studio practice amp. Not as versatile as the DSL40CR and lacking a master volume but still a great little amp.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2021
  6. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I’ve only played on ‘59 Bassman, but it was a sublime experience.

budglo likes this.
  7. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    image.jpg 62 is in a silver face head cab.. I pulled it from the Blonde to preserve the tolex. Fake 64.. ha and 63…
    Looking for correct Oxblood grill material…
    Probably gona end up using steer head embossed leather…

8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    No, Rich. (He`s D.v.d.E.)
    He is originally a drummer who -besides his band- is running a completely analog vintage -recording- studio.

T Bone and Ricochet like this.
  9. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

63 should be wheat cloth, not Oxblood. Oxblood was used in 61 and 62, and on a few rare 60 specimens I think. A friend recently sold a 3/10 Bandmaster combo with Oxblood, think is was a 60, very rare and sweet, still kicking myself for not buying it.

10. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Imo comparing Marshall to Fender tube amps is apples & oranges.
    Prefence is dependent on what music styles you play.

If you primarily use clean tones for rockabilly, surf, country, funk & pop styles you'll probably prefer Fenders. Most people seem to prefer Fender cleans & reverb.

But if you're a player with more varied tastes, and a more versatile player who also wants tube driven overdrive or even......distortion ......then Fenders don't cater for that.

Fender doesn't do distortion and only very light overdrive if you crank their amps. And they generally do light overdrive poorly too imo. Fender Corp doesn't have much experience with overdrive/distortion and doesn't understand it imo.

Marshalls do fantastic overdrive and many of their recent amps do great distortion too. And they've always had excellent cleans & reverb too imo. Marshall players generally are into mainstream rock, drivin blues, hard rock, punk & metal.

So it's a choice between the classic 1 trick pony and a much more versatile amp. If you only ever use the 1 good trick and are happy to rely on pedals for dirt then you'll likely be a Fender man.

Some Fender guys like to use them as clean pedal platforms and get their dirt from pedals. That's what I did with the Fender Twin I used to own but it's a non optimal solution imo. Most Marshalls do excellent cleans, overdrive and crunch and that's why I happily sold my Twin for a JCM800 years ago.

I've found clean players don't understand, or appreciate, overdrive or distortion cos they have little to no experience with it. They generally don't listen to it either, don't understand how to EQ it and have no need for an amp that delivers it.

For me the Twin I owned, and all the other Fenders I've played over the years, were heavy 1 trick ponies that restricted/limited my options and creativity. But that's just coming from a guy with varied tastes and a versatile playing style.

Either way it's all good imo as people have different needs and desires :D

Last edited: Nov 26, 2021 at 3:34 PM
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I think it’s in the ear of the beholder. I’ve heard Fenders that drive pretty hard. There’s a variety of tastes, but plenty of sonic space to accommodate all tastes.

T Bone likes this.
  12. slickfaster

slickfaster Country Gent

Dec 29, 2009
    USA
    Hear ya.. my 63 “wheat is solid.. looking for 62’s g cloth…

T Bone likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.