Marshall VS Bassman!

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by MKunie, Oct 28, 2021.

1. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    There’s one thing to say. Speakers make a big difference on the final choice.
    Put a Bassman head on top of a Rola Celestion Greenbacks loaded cab or a JTM on top of a PN10 Alnico Jensens loaded cab and I bet you’ll be able to get the sound of one close to the other.
    I have a 2x12 Jensen loaded cab to use with my Hiwatt DR504 head, and the results are pretty close to an early Silverface Twin if I’d like to. I’ve played an early ‘60s JPM (one of the first six 100w batch, owned by Pete T.) and the clean tones (through original Rolas) was something to die for. (the one on top)
    73F9774F-1198-4AA7-8199-B39A7CA57406.jpeg

MKunie, j.s.c, ZackyDog and 3 others like this.
  2. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    What @stiv already said: The speaker choice makes a lot of difference.
    I had the honour to own an original JTM45 for decades. A friend of mine has three vintage Bassman heads. When we checked these through one of my 4x12 Marshall boxes they appeared to be really close o my Marshall. Marshall did a good job copying Fender.
    There is some extra-spice in the Marshall-sauce, though.

MKunie, j.s.c and ZackyDog like this.
  3. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    As my mother used to say, 'That's why they make chocolate AND vanilla'

Totally crazy? Nah.... 99% there? Yeah, man, no doubt. :D. I mean, you ARE a Gretsch player....

I prefer my '59 Bassman Ri, but I'm also a pretty clean player... I play older music as well (Blues - West Coast, Jump and some older Eastern styles as well). I like it loose and saggy!

I have tried a few modern Marshalls (By modern, I pretty much mean anything after the mid-70's or so, I guess). I've enjoyed them, but not really bonded with them like I have my big tweeds.

Tone really is personal, though. We all have different influences... I won't judge you for being incorrect. LOL

MKunie and stiv like this.
  4. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    Have you ever tried a Bluesbreaker with low-efficiency Jensens? You’ll be surprised. ;)

MKunie likes this.
  5. Syncro

Syncro Gretschie

Jan 6, 2016
    East of Nashville
    This is an interesting topic due to the fact that Marshall amps originally were loosely based
    off of a Bassman amp circuit (tweed) - please correct me if I'm wrong in part.

I happen to love Bassman amps but of the blackface era - different animal though.
    I'm currently resurrecting a Blackface head and dropping power to around 20+ watts, converting to 8ohm output and putting it into a Combo cabinet.

Yes I have a Deluxe Reverb but the tone circuit and voice of a Bassman is quite a bit different.
    Having both will be great. I do have a Vibrolux for louder venues anyway.
    I'll have to post when I'm done.

Here's way I used it for years at 50 watts with a 15" speaker in a 14" deep closed back cab. Head was pretty heavy and moving the small stack around, although not huge, was still a bit unfriendly for many situations. And boy was it loud.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
    MKunie likes this.
  6. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Remarkably close they were. I think he used a stronger preamp tube and of course Celestions. Maybe another tweak or two.

MKunie likes this.
  7. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    MKunie and loudnlousy like this.
  8. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Firenze, Italy
    The funny thing about the Townshend JMP I played through is that, if you think it was voiced on 4 12” speakers and was 100w power, it was not “that” loud. I mean, it’s no bedroom or bar amp, but I’m pretty sure it could be quiet enough to be played in a small club if you’re not after a Black Sabbath tone. And btw even that Black Sabbath tone isn’t ear splitting. I believe that a Twin at 5 (that’s what I reached on my Pete’s JMP try) it’s much, much more loud and ear killing even with only 2 speakers. The difference it’s probably on the tone stack, loud Fenders really kill more than Marshalls.

loudnlousy and j.s.c like this.
  9. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Another thought to ponder @MKunie ..about 7 guys quit Marshall and started a company called BlackStar

MKunie likes this.
  10. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Would love to own an Artisan 15H myself.

bhatta, MKunie and thunder58 like this.
  11. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Think8ng in terms of the original Marshalls, the transformers were sourced differently and that probably played a role in differentiating the sound, as well. I’m not an expert on Marshalls, but they seem to have their own sonic niche.

One similarity I’ve noted is that both a ‘59 Bassman and the early Marshall circuit seem to have a lot of sag. I played a Bluesbreaker RI a few years back and it was very elastic in its response. It was a lot of fun to play.

12. Axis39

Axis39 Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Beaumont, CA
    Well, I own a 5f8-a, so... Kinda!

In all honesty, I love my HPTT (which has the same internal circuit as a Bassman... Just bigger iron and two more tubes!). I love my Twin... But, I really love the way an open back 4x10 explodes sound around the room!

13. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    My first amp was a Carvin copy of some Marshall . . . 100w 4x12. Stupid purchase in hindsight but I loved it. I played it in my mom's apartment and it only left my room twice. Yet I played that as a bedroom amp.

14. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    That’s astounding. By all medical logic, you should be deaf. :)

I remember once thinking that a 50 watt amp was small. In retrospect, 50 watts is pretty beefy; I play gigs with 15 watts, all the time. If I’m mic’d through the PA, I may use a 5 watt amp, and that’s more than enough for adequate stage volume. The Beatles played many of their gigs with Vox AC-30s and only went with bigger amps when the screaming of the crowds made them inaudible. (In all fairness, an AC-30 is probably approaching Fender Twin levels of volume. 30 watts in an AC-30 is deafening.)

MKunie and TSims1 like this.
  15. birddog

birddog Electromatic

Apr 12, 2016
    NC
    Had a few handwired Fenders and loved them all. My favorite was a '68 Twin Reverb- it was the real deal.....then I went to Marshall and never looked back. They cover all the bases for me and my style. 20210828_173555.jpg

16. hogrider16

hogrider16 Gretschie

Oct 18, 2017
    charles town wv
    I think we get way too caught up on labels and don't pay enough attention to sounds. I think the goal is (or should be) to actualize the sound in our heads. Who cares if you get that sound through a Marshall, a Fender, a Vox, or a whatever?

17. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    The DSL serie from Marshall is really close to be a steal... you can do almost anything with them and they sound really good. I had the DSL1H for bedroom playing and it was awesome, for a cheap little amp it sounded really good.

Never played a bassman, but I do like the Princeton Reverb, but it is just a pedal platform.... its definitely not as versatile on its own, especially compared to a DSL

bhatta and MKunie like this.
  18. WingZero

WingZero Electromatic

Oct 21, 2021
    Québec City, Canada
    That's why I'm all digital now, playing in a cover band makes this much more simple

hogrider16 likes this.
  19. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    My favorite Marshall clones and maybe I like over actual Marshall is / was Mojave. They made the best sounding and most amazingly well built Marshall clones. I passed up a chance to get one of their Coyotes and wish I hadn't. If luck strikes again, I'll have to take the plunge. Too bad they closed shop. Another great maker is Germino.

Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 09.14.12.png Screen Shot 2021-11-02 at 09.13.08.png

20. crcarner

crcarner Electromatic

Jul 20, 2020
    yes.....yes you are :)

MKunie likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.