Marshall DSL 40 CR

Discussion in 'Guitar & Gear Reviews' started by MKunie, Jun 16, 2021.

1. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I was always a Fender amp guy with the Gretsches, But recently made a few changes and I still have the Bassman, But got a Marshall DSL 40 CR. The Filters sound AMAZIING through this amplifier. I never thought the cleans with a little hair on it would make me so happy.
    The heavier distortion which is so sweet through the amp works VERY well with them also. It is a homerun for anyone who is trying new sounds. So much different with the EL34's and in a nice way!

2. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    Marshall makes some good stuff, and the DSL40 gets a lot of love from unlikely places. Enjoy!

MKunie likes this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    @MKunie , just wondering . Have you ever tried the BlackStar amps ? I think 7 guy quit Marshall to start the BlackStar Company . I had one , great amps

MKunie likes this.
  4. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I know of the Blackstar story. Upon research, I just liked the Marshall better for the low end options and I was not wrong. And the Blackstars that were available that day I was in store were nothing that I wanted, I would have had to put an order in, and you know how we all cant wait for anything anymore? Especially when they had a new marshall in the box!!!!!!

thunder58 likes this.
  5. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I had the same Marshall about five or six years ago, DSL40 with a creamback. They are killer sounding amps! At the time I was using a 50s strat with a Dimarzio Area 61 at the bridge and it was an ass kicking sound, I have no doubt filtertrons sound great through it.

BFTmarshall and MKunie like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    :p Oh I hear that .... enjoy the new amp

MKunie likes this.
  7. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats, enjoy that new Marshall.

MKunie likes this.
  8. Freshy

Freshy Synchromatic

Sep 30, 2017
    Homosassa FLA
    What a growling beast.
    A few years back I bought new one on a closeout (previous years model) at a super low price. Its been many years since I played live (80s) and I forgot just how powerful a Marshall 40 watt tube amp is. Even at the half power option I couldn't push it in my studio (Just too loud). Put it out on my screen porch and had some fun for an hour. Sold it a few days later for what I paid for it. And I had a Twin Reverb in my studio in the 80's too. Probably partially explains my hearing loss now.
    Now this is my Marshall
    [​IMG]

MKunie likes this.
  9. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I am glad that you like it.
    The Marshall voice is something classic that is worth to dig deeper.
    It seems to work best with humbuckers of various kinds. But even single coils , like P90ies or Telecaster`s bridge pickups work magic with them.
    I am raised on vintage Marshall tone and I feel it to be very addictive.
    There are many more variants of that to be explored. Germino, Alessandro, Friedman, Metro etc.
    It is a rabbit`s hole but worth the trip.
    I personally landed on Reußenzehn`s Reu ò Grande amps after three decades going with my vintage plexi Marshalls and I really encourage you to try one with a Gretsch. They sound like a fist-fight.

MKunie likes this.
  10. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Congrats on the new amp, I'm a marshall guy, its hard to beat them for overdriven amp tones IMO, the cleans are very underrated though, i love the clean chanel on mine.
    Enjoy and happy playing.

MKunie and pmac11 like this.
  11. pmac11

pmac11 Country Gent

Mar 4, 2018
    Toronto, Ontario
    I had a DSL15 head a while back...loved the clarity and voicing of the clean channel, but the red channel was nothing I could get along with. I understand that the DSL40 has two green channels and two red channels, maybe I should try it next?

MKunie likes this.
  12. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Congrats, i love me Marshalls. I have a DSL1 head, Haze 15 head and a 4203 Artist Combo thats 30w with EL34s and will peel paint when cranked.

pmac11, MKunie and Chmason85 like this.
  13. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats!

MKunie likes this.
  14. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    The DSL 40 really is a great amp. For some, they can benefit from clipping the treble cap on the drive circuit, but others like them just as they are.

MKunie likes this.
  15. MKunie

MKunie Country Gent

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Yes! Next to the Bassman this amp really shines, It has 2 clean and 2 driven channels. I like the red clean channel.
    The PRS 85/15's are amazing and the Butts and Classics are a punch in the throat!
    I am really blown away everytime I turn it on. !

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.