making a decision.

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by MKunie, Apr 3, 2021.

1. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Personally ....me , I'm a Martin guy , you know that .
    Martin makes acoustics , that's what they do . Gretsch on the other hand are more noted for their hollow body guitars .

I once played a Gretsch acoustic 12 string ( Falcon Jumbo G5022CWFE-12 ) an extremely heavy guitar by weight , but I must admit , one of the best sounding 12 string guitars I've ever played . ( unplugged )

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.42.12 AM.png

I've also tried a G5034TFT Rancher which was also a very heavy guitar in weight .

Screen Shot 2021-04-04 at 7.44.41 AM.png

I think you'll be very satisfied with the Martin , but of coarse , go out and try them all if you can

ZackyDog and MKunie like this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    No acoustic-guitar-expert here but I would assume that comparing these two models is not easy because the complete philosphy behind their construction is so different.
    They have very little in common.
    It`s like comparing a Strat to a Les Paul.

MKunie and thunder58 like this.
  4. S.R.Cash

S.R.Cash Gretschie

Aug 29, 2019
    Ontario, Canada
    I tried several Gretsch variations before getting a Rancher. But after too many issues and even some loosening binding, it quickly was resold and I went with a Martin DRS2. Even if I resell a few things here and there, my Martin will stay!

thunder58 likes this.
  5. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Electromatic

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    I think the Martin is the smart choice here. I'm a 'lazy' acoustic owner and don't want to have to worry about humidity, temperature, adjustments, playing it outside, that kind of thing. I like a guitar you can set in the corner and forget about it until you are ready to play it. The HPL, laminate neck, and richlite board of the Martin will allow you that luxury while still sounding quite good.

I know it isn't within everyone's means, but my lazy man's acoustic guitar is an Emerald X-20. In the same vein as McPherson, CA, or Rainsong guitars but I prefer the Emerald. Before I bought it though, I heavily considered an HPL Martin. It certainly would have a left a little more weight in my wallet.

Henry, MKunie and Archtops like this.
  6. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    Your decision for me is pretty simple.

A person can adjust to different neck profiles and a fingerboard radius so to that end the guitars may both be fine.

The problem with acoustics is there is no modifying the tone like you can do with an electric by changing pickups. You are stuck with the acoustic tone forever.

What this means is you have to play both and decide which has the tone you are after.

If your wallet can sustain the hit you can order both from Sweetwater, try them for something like 40 or so days and return the one you don’t want.

MKunie and Archtops like this.
  7. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    As we all know, one acoustic to the next (even in the same brand and model) won’t always sound the same. So by all means, try before you buy. Best of luck on your choices.

8. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Well I canceled the Martin I posted. Went to guitar center. Tried a 1400$ Martin
    I basically had it home for an hour until I went back and got the Gretsch. It just felt right and sounded like I wanted. The Martin guitars are really high end. But. Mainly playing my electric guitars. I couldn’t justify it
    I really appreciate the help and honesty
    This Gretsch is a limited or special run. The wood grain is visible. A beautiful big sound

9. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    I see no guitar......:D

10. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Ahh. I’m really sorry. Been busy today. Gotta get a shot under the light.

Archtops and thunder58 like this.
  11. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    Hopefully you guys get the idea. The top is dark. But can see the spruce up close 4874F497-0537-46A7-ADA6-16EDEAAF4577.jpeg 91595C7F-1717-4A31-9430-CD09EB86FA7E.jpeg 000E0B72-4CA6-4AC3-98DD-6D0F13FE6F68.jpeg 16CB5A14-1B5C-40EA-8656-A16ED26D0771.jpeg

drmilktruck, thunder58, mbkri and 6 others like this.
  12. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Gretschified

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    That's pretty sweet, Mark.

MKunie likes this.
  13. Archtops

Archtops Gretschie

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Wow! That’s a beauty. Congrats!

MKunie likes this.
  14. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yes, beautiful! Looks like a lot of guitar for the money!
    How big is the sound??

MKunie likes this.
  15. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    I have tried many guitars this past week alone and went from a Jim Dandy, To a High End Alvarez, to a Taylor GS-Mini and finally a Martin road series / high end Mexican made. I tried this Rancher in between and kept going back and forth. This Gretsch has a bigger sound to my ears acoustically and plugged in> is does not disappoint whatsoever. I am blown away by the tone. I am going to change the strings to Elixirs and the Bridge pins to Ebony and that will make it even better. But out of the box it is fantastic.

16. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    Congrats. That's sweet.

Enjoy

MKunie likes this.
  17. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, looks great!

MKunie likes this.
  18. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats Mark. Really looks nice in your pictures.

MKunie likes this.
  19. MKunie

MKunie Synchromatic

Feb 8, 2012
    Vegas,USA
    for this color you really need to see it under the sunlight or in person, In a room? It is not as pretty!

20. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.