"Make An Offer"

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
“Make An Offer”

I often spend time on various online guitar sales sites looking at what is up for sale and usually I find something at a good price that piques my interest. I think: “I’d love to get that, but by the time I add in the shipping costs and customs taxes it’s out of my range”. Then I notice the “Make an Offer” button. I feel uncomfortable making a stupid low-ball offer, but usually the seller will make a counter-offer or propose to meet me halfway. I had been looking at a particular guitar and calculated how much it would cost if the shipping and customs charges were removed. I saw that the guitar had been on sale for over a month already with no previous offers at all. Just on a whim I made an offer that was the basic asking price less all the considerable additional charges. I went to bed thinking: “there’s no way that they will accept such a large discount, but it will be interesting to see their counter-offer.”

I woke up the next morning to see a text on my phone: ‘Offer Accepted”. Wow, I didn’t expect that. I suppose the moral is: “nothing ventured, nothing gained.” So another guitar is flying halfway around the planet to live with me, all the way from the UK to Sydney via USA.

For the record: there was no Pinot Noir involved in this process!

Stefan87

Country Gent
May 20, 2019
Brisbane, Australia
The 'Make an offer' button is a great thing, my theory is at the end of the day the seller can only say no so it's at least worth asking the question as long as I'm not rude about it.

That button is actually how I ended up with my 6120, threw an offer at the seller over ebay thinking he'd say no but he ended up accepting it.

Early congrats on the new guitar, can't wait to see what it is.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
OK, the guitar has made it to Honolulu on it's journey downunder. The freight company just contacted me to pay the import charges and taxes which I did over the phone. The shipment will now be released as soon as it arrives in Sydney so I'm hoping it will be delivered by Friday Oz-time.

Last edited:

juks

Country Gent
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 26, 2020
Fremont, California
OK, the guitar has made it to Honolulu on it's journey downunder. The freight company just contacted me to pay the import charges and taxes which I did over the phone. The shipment will now be released as soon as it arrives in Sydney so I'm hoping it will be delivered by Friday Oz-time.
That's a nifty system you have there. Granted, I've never imported anything to the US so I don't know if they have equally efficient system.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
That's a nifty system you have there. Granted, I've never imported anything to the US so I don't know if they have equally efficient system.
It's actually an American company - UPS local office in Australia. They tend to be the shippers of choice for sellers on the Reverb site.

Falconetti

Synchromatic
Sep 18, 2012
Bagsville, Oxford UK
Congrats on your NGD….just don’t tell me that it’s an ES 330 in Beale Street Blue. I couldn’t bear missing out on another one.

Have you ever noticed that you see hundreds of great low price deals on fine guitars when you aren’t looking but as soon as you start GASsing on a particular guitar the number of examples available dives and prices go through the roof. Seems the answer is to only buy guitars that you don’t actually want but get them cheaply and hold them in storage until you start to GAS for them. It’s crazy but it may work.

audept

Senior Gretsch-Talker
Platinum Member
Dec 1, 2010
Sydney, Australia
Landed at Sydney airport 40 minutes ago, it may get delivered tomorrow. I wish I could track it like a food delivery app on my phone. ;)

Latest posts