Magnet Swap

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by Intoamartian, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Intoamartian

Intoamartian Electromatic

Feb 10, 2021
    Midwest
    My #1 is a Gibson SG Standard with 490r and 498t. I did a magnet swap between them: the A2 from the 490 into the 498 and the A5 then into the 490r.

It made the neck a bit more clear and the bridge smoother. Overall a relatively easy and simple change!

Anyone else do something similar with magnet swap?

2. BCBlues55

BCBlues55 Newbie

Mar 20, 2021
    Virginia
    I don’t have that set of pickups, so I can’t speak from personal experience, but I understand that’s a very common mod and that people really like it.

I have a set of Duncan 59’s in an old Epiphone les Paul. I didn’t like the A2 magnets that came in the original pickups, so I tried a bunch of different magnets, figuring it was cheaper than buying new pickups. I ended up with an A3 magnet in the neck, which gave it a clearer output, and an Unoriented A5 in the bridge. The UOA5 is like a cross between the A2 and A5 magnets - warmer than an A5 but not as much output. Made a big difference!

Magnet swaps are a lot of fun, and as I mentioned, it’s cheaper than a new pickup!

Intoamartian likes this.
  3. mr coffee

mr coffee Country Gent

Oct 7, 2009
    Houston
    When I was younger I swapped magnets and coils all over the place amongst a drawer full of humbuckers. I didn't document that particular journey very well, it was usually just an attempt to find a combination that worked and sounded at least okay.

-m

Intoamartian likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.