LR Baggs M80

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by GlenP, Jun 12, 2021.

1. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    F767BE6F-1A6A-4858-8D15-1A71527146E6.jpeg Not sure if they call it that because it is hot like a firecracker? This one is for my acoustic 12 string Breedlove, which already has a built in UST, so this is for blending with or as an alternative. I will probably just drape the cable externally since the piezo UST is already wired through the end pin jack. I will be installing this and using it next week at a Farmers Market, first public show since shutdown.

also, I was intrigued by the vibramate string spoiler for my Gretsch, so I picked up one of those, because I like GOLD!

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    CousinWarsh, MrWookiee and thunder58 like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    best to you and the band my friend

GlenP likes this.
  3. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Thanks! I just got a Fishman NeoD humbucker passive pickup for my Takamine and it sounded great at practice, so I decided to try out a different system for my 12 string, so I don't have to swap that one out to change guitars during the show.

It is just me and another guitar/singer acoustic "unplugged" style. Last summer we did a few happy hour socially distanced shows out of his garage for the neighborhood, we started to get a little bit of a following, lawn chairs and coolers across the street and in the yard at appropriate distances. We called ourselves:
    Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 3.53.34 PM.png

thunder58 and MrWookiee like this.
  4. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    4AB22282-0AFC-48E5-8C9C-5C682454F44B.jpeg Pretty easy to install with the cable hanging out the sound hole. I think the included jack is switched so the battery is disconnected when unplugged. This stacked humbucker has a flexible mount for the lower coil so it can respond to the vibration of the body. It can be used in either active or passive mode with the flip of a switch on the bottom.
    7C648BD3-40A9-4F37-BD3C-CD99B4B40BB6.jpeg

the built in preamp for the piezo UST is by Fishman

Last edited: Jun 12, 2021
    sgarnett and thunder58 like this.
  5. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    first clip just posted from today. My Takamine with a similar Fishman NeoD humbucker pickup in combination with the stock UST piezo. Will post some more later. Sorry, no Gretsch content.

thunder58 and radd like this.
  6. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Here's one with the M80 in action on my 12 string. I ran the M80 into a solid state amp with XLR out to the PA, and ran the piezo via wireless bug into a stereo chorus into the PA, just very light chorus. I am still kind of working on this one, but decided to give it a try anyway.

thunder58 likes this.
  7. Rock Lajoint

Rock Lajoint Synchromatic

Nov 16, 2014
    Sussex, England
    Nice. I don't like piezo pickups and prefer a soundhole pickup.

I have a Fishman Rare Earth humbucker in my backup acoustic, a Blueridge BG-40. That's coming out and going in my new Guild F-40 jumbo.

I got a Neo-D humbucker from Amazon warehouse for £35, which is half price, that'll go in the Blueridge before I sell it.

On consideration, I have an afternoon solo gig next Sunday at my local British Legion club, where I am a member. I may fit the Neo-D in the Guild and use that rather than my Martin. I don't have time to get the Guild 'properly' electrified with endpin jack etc.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
    GlenP likes this.
  8. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    Nicely done sirs!

GlenP likes this.
  9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Trivia question, does anyone recognize the tune I whistled after the "whistling tunes that you know and love so" - it is just a short snippet of the song, so can anyone "name that tune" in five notes?

10. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I tried to fit in a few notes from the theme to the Andy Griffith show, not sure if you can recognize it from the short bit I whistled there.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.