Love my Gretsch...time for Tru-Arc?

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by birdawesome, Aug 6, 2020.

1. birdawesome

birdawesome Electromatic

Aug 6, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Hey guys, newbie here...

I recently bought a white Gretsch Electromatic G5655TG (love these names lol) and couldn't be happier. I was a bit hesitant going for this model considering the country of manufacture is China, however after doing some digging I felt assured that the quality control would be there, as you can get great quality from China if you're paying for it.

Well, apparently Gretsch did pay for it because the guitar seems flawless aside from some very slightly wobbly pots. But hey, it's one of those things that I'll only be able to notice. I did, however, have some issues with tuning stability, but after getting the Bricks Biggs Fix that issue is pretty much gone unless I really go to town on the tremolo arm. Still a bit of instability here and there, but I attribute that to the Tune-O-Matic and its edges, as I've lightly sanded and lubed my nut (NuBone) and doubt it could be an issue at this point.

I'd like to get the Tru-Arc for the added sustain/tone, if even incremental in performance, as I feel the bar bridge would allow the strings to glide over them much better than a fixed (albeit rocking) Tuna. I looked into the Compton bridges as well, but I honestly just kind of like the more vintage look of the Tru-Arc.

I emailed Tim at a couple emails I found across Google not knowing which was correct, and it's only been a few days, but I haven't heard back from him yet. I understand he's a busy guy, so I'm not sweating it, but I did want to make sure he still makes the suckers in the first place, as I haven't really seen a whole lot of recent information about them.

Can anyone confirm he's still doing the Lord's work, and can they attest to his product's preceding reputation? Happy to be here.

61803316710__6AA3D2AF-BD4C-4155-8C99-4C93F691BF1E.jpg

ZackyDog, Marv666, Echocat23 and 3 others like this.
  2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, birdawesome! Tim at Tru-Arc is still making bridges, but he is very busy and can take time to answer emails.
    Be patient, it's worth the wait.
    welcome mat 30.jpg

ZackyDog, birdawesome and G5422T like this.
  3. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Synchromatic

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Welcome to G-T.
    Congrats on new the guitar it's a beauty.

birdawesome likes this.
  4. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
    Welcome!

birdawesome likes this.
  5. Gregor

Gregor Synchromatic

Oct 17, 2018
    New Brunswick, Canada
    Welcome to the fold. Great looking guitar you've got there. Bet she really flies.

birdawesome likes this.
  6. jarrodtaylor

jarrodtaylor Gretschie

Mar 14, 2019
    Delray Beach, FL
    The (not clickable) email on the TruArc website worked last I checked: https://www.truarcbridgeworks.com

The product is definitely worth the wait. And talk to Tim about the different metals, too. Aluminum, brass, steel, copper, titanium. They all sound different. Once he gets back to you he's always good about walking you through all of the options and making sure you get one that fits.

birdawesome likes this.
  7. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Tim Harmon is truly a busy guy. He's got a full time job (and then some)in the real world. His Tru=Arc brides are really worth the wait and cost. I don't know if Compton is still going, but they're another bridge worth looking into.
    I'm actually sort of amazed that Gretsch hasn't worked out a deal with Tru-Arc to make all of their bridges.

birdawesome and Echocat23 like this.
  8. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    Compton is still going. OP also stated he looked into Compton but though Tru-Arc was more vintage looking. If that's what the OP is going for, then go with the Tru-Arc. The Compton replacement for that bridge is suuuuuuuuper funky looking. I have one on mine.

birdawesome likes this.
  9. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I'm a bar bridge fan on a Gretsch.

Tru-Arc started out because of the factory bar mismatch radius to the neck. It quickly morphed into numerous metals available, so one can take advantage of each metals tone characterists.

Top quality products that really do make a difference. I've said many times that a guitar with a properly cut nut, and a Tru-Arc is an absolutely inspiring guitar to play.

20200625_170113.jpg 20200307_125123.jpg 20191202_144900.jpg 20200212_114521.jpg 20191107_122833.jpg

As others have stated, well worth the cost, and well worth the wait.

Best of luck.

ZackyDog, birdawesome and wabash slim like this.
  10. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    they just did a brilliant job on a stainless low profile rocking bar for my duane eddy bass.

tim was excellent about guiding me through the process. i highly recommend.

birdawesome and G5422T like this.
  11. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house bird!:)

Congrats on the cool new geet.

birdawesome likes this.
  12. bdub415

bdub415 Electromatic

Jun 29, 2020
    California
    For what it’s worth...I’m new to gretsch and didn’t like the stock bridge at all (it buzzed too much). I picked up a compton bridge which is pretty much the same thing as tru arc (one piece metal bar bridge) and it was a HUGE difference. It not only made my guitar sustain longer but it probably added a few db’s in volume too. I would highly recommend a solid metal bar bridge for a gretsch. Good luck!

birdawesome likes this.
  13. birdawesome

birdawesome Electromatic

Aug 6, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Thanks for all the replies guys! Sorry I'm getting back kind of late, I haven't gotten the whole notification thing set up correctly, since I just saw I had 11 replies here lol.

I appreciate the love and feedback about the Tru-Arc! I'm looking forward to when he gets back to me, as I'm even more excited about getting one of these bad boys now!

14. Marv666

Marv666 Electromatic

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    Besides the looks how different are tru arcs and comptons?

15. MichaelBabs

MichaelBabs Newbie

Aug 8, 2020
    NH, USA
    Just got mine recently, took about 10weeks. Worth it! Tim will ask you about your guitar model and such to help you choose the right bridge for your guitar, and yes, he is very busy.

Attached Files:

audept and Marv666 like this.
  16. birdawesome

birdawesome Electromatic

Aug 6, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Very nice! Was that 10 weeks to make/ship, or 10 weeks from first contacting Tim to then receiving the Tru-Arc?

Either way, from all the feedback I'm getting it sounds like Tru-Arc is a no-brainer, and am more excited than ever to get one. Any Idea what differences a Serpentune vs Hole-Tone vs Original would be? I understand the Serpentune is supposed to have better intonation, but aside from that I really don't know much about the different models offered.

17. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    I started with the original Tru-Arc bar bridges but after the Serpentune came out I switched over to the plain-G compensated version in both brass and titanium. I had one Jet with a shallow neck angle that had been fitted with a Tru-Arc Low-rider by the previous owner. Tim at T-A kindly made me a Low-rider version of the Serpentune so I could upgrade that guitar. I couldn't be happier with these bridges.

G5422T likes this.
  18. birdawesome

birdawesome Electromatic

Aug 6, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Good to know. I think I'll definitely go with the Serpentune bridge.

audept likes this.
  19. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Congrats, welcome and get a Tru Arc :)

[​IMG]

audept and G5422T like this.
  20. sgarnett

sgarnett Gretschie

Apr 14, 2020
    Kentucky
    I’m not sure whether the Comptons is a rocking bar or not. The Tru-Arc definitely IS. I put a Tru-Arc titanium Serpentune on my 6120 Smoke, and love it. The stock Tuneomatic on that guitar was MUCH better than the cheap rattlers on less-expensive guitars, and the Terada factory did an excellent job of filing the bridge saddle string slots. Nevertheless, the Serpentune is still a step up IMHO.

I put an ABM2400 roller on my Streamliner, and it works very well also, but it’s still no Serpentune.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2020
    audept likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.