Lots of used guitars on the way. just wait for them!

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by The Box, Oct 26, 2020.

1. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    Hey there!
    Hope you are doing well these days.
    So, guitars are being sold like never. All the companies are selling great amount of guitars because of the pandemic. seems that everyone is bored with staying home and people are trying to learn playing guitar.
    This will lead to two things in the future I assume:
    1- We will have some great young guitar players in the future.
    2- There will be massive amount of used guitars in the market after the pandemic era!

Both of these results are good. maybe the guitar hero era could come back again and much more better; we could buy good guitars for a good deal! lets be hopeful and wait for it.

What do you think?

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I like the way you think ;)

mrfixitmi, MKunie and The Box like this.
  3. Gretschmen65

Gretschmen65 Synchromatic

May 20, 2016
    QLD Australia
    Depends how long the pandemic era lasts.

I'm getting to the point where if it doesn't end soon I'll be too old to enjoy the glut of guitars you allude to. ;)

Lately I've actually been reflecting on the cost of the Guitar era in terms of other instruments lost as a result.
    If I sit and listen to music it is very often jazz saxophone. Coleman Hawkins, Art Pepper, Frank Morgan and others of the pre-guitar era.
    I really miss the quartet of sax, piano, up-right bass and drums.

Sadly I think there is as much chance of a guitar revival as there is one for the sax led jazz.

More people are spending time on their computer based music generating systems which I'm pessimistic in believing that is where music is and where it is headed.

But, I'm too old to care. :)

Rmccamey and The Box like this.
  4. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    As soon as the pandemic hit I bought my Penguin. I am a better guitar player for that as the instrument inspires me to play more each day. I won't be selling it though. I only hit shaky ground when I see a used custom shop Falcon.

mrfixitmi, SAguitar, Jeff67 and 3 others like this.
  5. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Well, all within reason. It still costs a certain amount to make the guitars, so unless we suddenly have a rule that all companies have to lose money for the sake of the consumer, there is only so low these prices will go.

sgarnett and The Box like this.
  6. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Since the '50s many millions of guitars have been sold. What happened to most of them? We should be drowning in old guitars but we aren't.

new6659, Rmccamey, mrfixitmi and 2 others like this.
  7. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    I was talking about new guitar players. the ones who just started to learn it.
    I love Penguin! I wish I could afford to buy one. I am stuck with my electromatic ;-)

mrfixitmi likes this.
  8. The Box

The Box Gretschie

Feb 9, 2020
    Iran
    That's right but as companies like fender said, this year they have sold more that ever. and most of them, I think, are new comers who want to learn guitar. I don't expect to see custom made guitars in the used market, but we will find lots of mid range price guitars for a good deal. because there would be lots of guitars waiting for sale, the price can come down in used market.
    Seriously I love to think like that. being hopeful to come out of this situation. :D:D:D

mrfixitmi likes this.
  9. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

I only have to look at the number of guitars that inhabit my house (more than I actually require for my skill level), the numbers that others here have in their own collections, and the incredible amount of gear, including guitars, that some artists have in their own collections. I think it's unlikely that we will see a flood of used guitars any time soon. That's not the same as saying that there won't be any, but I don't think it will be a flood.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    mrfixitmi, The Box and Henry like this.
  10. HypotenusLuvTriangle

HypotenusLuvTriangle Country Gent

Oct 27, 2010
    Whittier, Ca
    I dunno. It will be glut of quantity not quality. Not a lot of beginners buying prolines or the high end guitars that I want and selling them for cheap.

The Box, Duo Slinger and Henry like this.
  11. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I agree. Even getting an electromatic rig with an inexpensive amp means a start up cost of around $1000 - that is a lot of money for someone to try a hobby. And I think beginners who can afford to start on a proline are less likely to need to sell something to raise cash.

In the USA, at least, the saving rate has actually gone up, at least early on in the pandemic.

I am very curious to see how the pandemic will affect the American X(cessive)mas shopping culture.

mrfixitmi, The Box and drmilktruck like this.
  12. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Gretschie

Aug 16, 2019
    United States
    That will be interesting. I know that my wife and I are going to keep it simple this year. That's not because of any financial stress (we're very lucky, and the good livings we each make are not in jeopardy at all). It's because spending all this time at home has given us a chance to really clean up and clean out, and neither of us wants much more in the way of just "stuff."

I suspect I'll order her some consumable treats (she has a sweet tooth), and I might just ask for some music or some e-books.

I think there might be a glut of used guitars, but I really can't be sure. I am fully loaded with guitars (and amps, and pedals) as it is, so even if it does happen, I'm standing pat.

The Box and drmilktruck like this.
  13. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Yeah... I mean, unless you guys are dying for some Epiphones/Squiers and a buttload of Fender Champs, it really isn't going to be that impressive. There's only so many rich idiots who buy Penguins as their first, because "it'll make me sound good".

The Box likes this.
  14. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    I don’t think it will really make a difference either way.. guitar playing and songs played on a guitar has its niche now ... like everything else ..but will never be like it was in the 60s and 70s.. so in the realm of everything it’s going to help the companies sell more guitars but really .. I don’t think there is going to be this big resurgence that all the kids will get rid of their social media and multiple styles of music.. to run out and buy a guitar and listen to guitar infused music.. Maybe I could be wrong.. I wish I was but I doubt it.. times are different today

The Box and Gretschmen65 like this.
  15. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    Well yes, but no. Speaking as a real-life "kid" with "social media" and "multiple styles of music"... Really, it's a net positive. You gotta realize, with the internet and with social media, it is so much easier to listen to things that aren't the blander-than-boiled crap you hear on pop radio. If it wasn't for streaming, I probably wouldn't be here. Social media allows people to share niche genres that they may have not been able to hear in other circumstances. And as for selling guitars... that bland but widespread pop still has guitars, and the guitar's cultural presence has led many average pop-listening-kids to buy a Strat, Tele or no-name acoustic and try to play along to their favorite Harry Styles songs. From there, they can go on a musical journey, and discover better, different music. As for better music, and better guitars, rock ain't dead. Rock and roll, good rock and roll, is rebel music, which by definition isn't mainstream. Rock and roll is for the "other" kids, regardless of its form: rockabilly, punk, metal, grunge, you name it. It's rebel music, and rebel's are always a small band against a large group of lame-o squares. It couldn't be rebel music if ALL the kids were listening to it. And I can tell you that rebel music ain't dead. I'm around, my friends are around, we can't stand the lame-os with their Strats and Harry Styles so we play rock and roll. We have Gretsches, we have Schecters, we have Dean's and we have Jacksons (we can't afford Gibsons, what are we, old men?). There's still new rebel music, but it's rebel music so you won't see it on TV, or hear it on the radio. We discovered the good old stuff from our parents, and the good new stuff through streaming. There's new metal, there's new punk, there's new rockabilly, psychobilly and rock and roll. And there's still kids to play it. So, if this has a meandering point, I guess it's rock and roll ain't dead, kids with guitars are a good thing, and don't go looking at pop radio for the good stuff; that's always been the case.

Tadhg, mrfixitmi, The Box and 4 others like this.
  16. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Yes, I imagine we'll be hearing from a new wave of younger guitar players, and probably more of them will be women than in the past. As they grow out of their first, second, and third guitars some of them may be looking to buy more expensive professional style instruments, so there may be a sustained market for the proline Gretsches and the nicer Electromatics.

mrfixitmi and The Box like this.
  17. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    I agree it is a good thing.

I may be out on a limb, but looking back at music stores, some catered to all people, rich poor, the talented and the dreamers.

Unfortunately, some did not.

I remember collecting coins as a kid, going to coin shows only to be snubbed because I was a kid with a small budget. Some dealers had the 3/$1 box, you could go through and find some hobbyist grade, or starter pieces. Later on, these disappeared, because they were not money makers.
    Similar things happened at train shows. I did not have the money for Lionel, so I collected Marx. I was told on several occasions to look in the garbage, not a train shows, we only carried the good stuff.
    I took my niece to a coin show three years ago, it seemed that there were no kids.
    My brother and I went to a train show, last year, it was sad, there were only a handful of kids.
    What these wheeler/dealers did not realize was that they could have been investing in their future collectors, and kept their industry alive.

I applaud the guitar industry to get the people interested at all price points.

18. Andrew Griffin

Andrew Griffin Synchromatic

Oct 22, 2015
    Perfectly well stated, and my experience with the coins too.

mrfixitmi and The Box like this.
  19. MikeSchindler

MikeSchindler Synchromatic

Feb 3, 2014
    Pennsylvania
    DuoSlinger .. you gave me hope that the guitar will be around for many of us ..in some form for sometime. Your post was nice to read and was refreshing

mrfixitmi, The Box and Duo Slinger like this.
  20. Duo Slinger

Duo Slinger Gretschie

Sep 11, 2020
    California, USA
    It's not leaving anytime soon. The guitar has imbedded itself in popular culture: What's a recipe for instant American badass other than a guitar and a leather jacket? Have hope, and look around: pop will always suck, the good will always starve, and the rebels will always rock.

MikeSchindler, mrfixitmi and The Box like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.