Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Lose You - Original Tune featuring my Falcon Acoustic & Double Cut Penguin

Discussion in 'Gretsch-Talk Music' started by fraz, Mar 20, 2017.

1. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    This song was written back in the late 80's/early 90's, and it has always been one of my favorites. The original recording of this song is trapped on a cassette tape that no longer functions properly, so I thought it was time to record it again. This video is my first attempt to add additional parts to the video, so in addition to my usual acoustic guitar/bass/vocal recording, I have added a tambourine part, AND A GUITAR SOLO (which is unusual for me to do).

Please check it out. If you can make it to the solo, you will see my Double Cut White Penguin in action. I would say that the guitar delivers "That Great Gretsch Sound", even in my moderately capable hands.

Hope you like it.

2. StJohn

StJohn Country Gent

Jun 5, 2008
    North Louisiana
    That was good stuff, fraz....very catchy!

3. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    That was great Joe,it sounds very 60's to me,like The Searchers ,an electric 12 string on there would sound great to my ears.

Cool solo too sir!

blueruins and wildeman like this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Nice work, Joe! Love that DC White Penguin.

6. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks! I am a big fan of pop music and a well crafted song. Don't know if I pulled that off, but I think it is definitely "catchy".

7. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    I agree with you on the 12-string, and I've got just the Ric to do it. Rickenbacker 1993 Plus 2 mod.jpg

Thanks for your kindness regarding the solo. In the end, I think it fit pretty well, but could benefit from someone with more skill.

JC higgy likes this.
  8. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Thanks for the kind words. Do you still have your Penguin? I believe we both have the same model.

9. audept

audept I Bleed Orange

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Still have mine, it was the FSR model from Rocky at Streetsounds. I'm currently waiting on T-Armonds in the Filter-mount to turn up so I can turn it into a single-coil monster.

10. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    I love single coil pickups including Dynas, but when I went to record the lead, I reached first for my 6120 DSW, then the G6121 - 1955 (both with Dynas). I wasn't quite happy with the tone I was getting until I used the Penguin with filters.

I'm sure that your guitar will sound great with the new pickups. How could it not.

audept likes this.
  11. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Good song. All kinda great Gretsch tone! That acoustic is cool too, i may have to get me one.

12. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Beautiful Rick 1993 plus,sir!:cool:

13. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Don't you know it!

Don't know if you have one, but this model has the old headstock with the closed back channels, not the open channels (which would be easier to restring). Can't understand why they did that.

14. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    I know what you mean,cause this isn't a reissue they could've done the open channels,doesn't come with a silver vintage case either i believe.

Sadly i don't own one ,i do have a 360/12V64 that i bought new back in 1989,so i've got use to the narrow neck and long string changes!:D

Would love to try the wider neck though,i did get to try the 660 back when it was the Tom Petty model,but i like the bigger guitar myself.

15. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey

The guitar came with the "standard" black plastic case.

I used to have a 360/12 in Jetglo, but got rid of it because it was so hard to play it cleanly (and I have pretty slender fingers). I traded it for a Fano JM12 which was much easier to play, but just didn't have that Ric sound (it had Fralin P90 pickups and was strung the standard 12-string way). I traded the Fano for the Ric 1993 when it showed up at my favorite music store. The neck is wider than the 360/12, but it is still pretty narrow.

JC higgy likes this.
  16. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    Since we all like pictures of guitars, here are the two beauties that were used in the video.

IMG_1021.JPG

Henry, JC higgy, wildeman and 2 others like this.
  17. JumpinJagFlash

JumpinJagFlash Gretschie

Apr 26, 2016
    Tabernacle NJ USA
    Very 60's vibe to your tune, Joe, which I enjoyed very much. I also really enjoyed the sound/tone of the acoustic Gretsch, as this was the first time I have ever heard one. Very pleasantly surprised. And your electric solo was clean and uncomplicated, just how I like them. Nice work, my friend. Keep on rockin.

18. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    @JumpinJagFlash,
    Glad you liked the song. I think the Gretsch Acoustics sound good, even though there is much debate about this on the forum. They certainly don't sound like a Martin, but still pretty good. I like them because of their appearance. That's why I bought them.

19. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Totally gassin for a Falcon Rancher! Thanks Fraz:D

20. fraz

fraz Gretschie

Nov 21, 2010
    New Jersey
    I have to admit, it is a beauty. So many people comment on not only the appearance of the guitar, but also it's sound.

21. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I played one the other day and was impressed, it played like my 5120 and sounded great. Not real loud but just a beautiful balanced sound. Its beauty is worthless to me if it dont play which it did quite well. I can totally see one in my future, just gotta move something else first.