Looking for recommendations for an inexpensive delay pedal

coyotezed

Electromatic
Oct 25, 2021
Ann Arbor, Mi
Was wondering if anybody has any recommendations for a decent delay pedal that is inexpensive. I have my eye on the Boss RE-2 Space Echo Delay Pedal ... but I'm looking for a less expensive pedal to play with while I save up for it.

Merc

Friend of Fred
May 6, 2017
Florida
An estimated max price range can help for suggestions. If you’re just looking for cheapest. Just search Delays in Reverb and filter used, and then lowest to highest. There’s a small variety for under $40 to choose from.

oneforsorrow

Country Gent
May 15, 2020
Iowa
I’ve got a cheapo Garagetone Axle Grease that is permanently on my board. Nothing compares to it. I’m about to buy a Deco and I’ve got 2 other delays but that Axle Grease does something no other pedal can come close to.

Edit to add the following:

What I like about this delay pedal is the sound of the repeat. It's a unique degradation that gets a little bit crunchy in the best of ways. I don't know what's out there for samples but I used it on the baritone (center panned main guitar sound) in the song below ...

Last edited:

coyotezed

Electromatic
Oct 25, 2021
Ann Arbor, Mi
An estimated max price range can help for suggestions. If you’re just looking for cheapest. Just search Delays in Reverb and filter used, and then lowest to highest. There’s a small variety for under $40 to choose from.
That's a good question ... at some point I plan on getting the Boss RE-2 pedal so I'm currently looking for something that will hold me over until I can get that pedal ... but who knows, depending on the pedal I may end up forgetting about the RE-2

Londoner

Gretschie
Dec 18, 2020
UK
Don't go too cheap, some cheap ones just sound muddy.
Also do you want clean repeats or more natural tailing off repeats?
The TC Electronic Flashback Mini mentioned earlier can do either quite well, but needs programming via computer to adjust.