Looking for parts

Discussion in 'The Great Bigsby forum' started by Cullen29, Jan 12, 2021.

1. Cullen29

Cullen29 Newbie

Jan 12, 2021
    Minnesota, USA
    Hey there,

Brand new to the forum. Thanks in advance for your help.

I recently acquired an Epiphone Swingster on the cheap. These come equipped with a Bigsby (licensed) Chet Atkins style wire arm tremolo. Of course, mine was cheap because it did not have the trem arm included. I'm looking for 2 things:

-An affordable option to replace the tremolo arm

-anywhere i can find the barrel shaped set screws that hold the arm in place.

Took it to my local repair shop and he was clueless.

May the internet remain undefeated! Thanks!

2. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Welcome, fellow Minnesotan!

Cullen29 likes this.
  3. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Welcome

I’m a bit lost. I was not aware that there was ever a licensed Bigsby with a wire style Chet arm. Your best bet for a replacement arm of any kind that cost the least is searching Reverb for used ones.

If you want to buy new there are lots of places, AllParts, etc.

The Barrel set screws? Take the fitting to a good hardware store, they should have a section with just nuts, bolts, screws, etc. chances are good you can find what you need in the metric section.

If you post some photos showing what you are after or putting it on you might get better responses.

good luck.

mrfixitmi likes this.
  4. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Maybe contact Epiphone?

Replace the Chet wire arm(and cheap) with any metal bar with the right diameter. Provided you still have the original bracket.

Import Bigsbys have always been metric. Afaik the Chet Atkins wire arm + bracket have always been Imperial sized and I sincerely doubt Epiphone had a metric sized wire arm + bracket specifically made for their Swingster models.

5. Wayne Gretschzky

Wayne Gretschzky Country Gent

Aug 27, 2008
    East Coast
    Welcome to the forum... best of luck on your quest to source a vibrato arm!

6. Cullen29

Cullen29 Newbie

Jan 12, 2021
    Minnesota, USA
    Thanks for all the tips. I will try contacting Epiphone directly. Couldn't hurt to ask!
    20210116_152524.jpg 20210116_152541_HDR.jpg 20210116_152550_HDR.jpg
    I don't really want to take the hardware store route. The fitting doesn't remove easily and I don't really want the stares bringing my guitar in the store

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Welcome to the forum and best with the search . Nice guitar BTW

8. GVDobler

GVDobler Synchromatic

May 15, 2011
    Las Vegas
    Hobby shops also sell set screws. The RC cars are all metric. Nobody would think it strange to bring a guitar into either a hobby shop or a hardware store.

9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Ace Hardware is the only place I know of where you can buy just one screw. Service Supply Co. can get you any screw you can think of in lots of 50 or 100.

10. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Sorry to hear of your dilemma.

You may have better luck searching for an Emperor Swingster tremlo arm. The Emperor Swingster used a different arm than others. I don't recall seeing any spares out there. For some reason these do end up getting lost.

The set screws may be able to be found at a local hardware store as advised. If both are missing, then try a screw that will thread in and take that with you to obtain the correct diameter and pitch.

11. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    For sure it is metric. Try an assortment of metric fine thread bolts and find one that fits perfectly. Take that bolt to the hardware store and find a nut that fits it. Stay with me. Either read the thread dimensions and go find a set screw with the same dimensions or find a set screw that screws into the nut you just found.

Easy peeze

mrfixitmi likes this.
  12. DonArcher

DonArcher Gretschie

May 29, 2014
    Ca
    I don't know about affordable, but when I bought one the cheapest I found was on eBay. It was genuine and came with the mounting bracket.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.