Looking for Danelectro info?

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by nickurso, Jul 8, 2020.

1. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I’ve lived here 20 years and none of my family have visited me. My wife’s sister used to come here often and only my best friend from oak park Il comes here regularly to visit

2. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    What part of Nola do you live in? I’m in Kenna brah

3. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Nice guitars

4. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    That’s exactly what I’m
    Looking at. The 56 U2 reissue. Love the king biscuit picture

Merc likes this.
  5. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    That’s a good recommendation. I trust your opinion. I’m definitely picking one up. I’m hooked on the idea of one of these and I’ve always wanted one and don’t know why I never bought one

6. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Are you old enough to remember Frazier Thomas and Garfield Goose?

dougmon and nickurso like this.
  7. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Oh yes I am. And remember he also did family classics on Sunday , they ran older classic movies

wabash slim likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I remember the time when you could buy a vintage copper-burst longhorn Danelectro for less than 300 EUR in today`s currency. And it is not that much long ago...

nickurso likes this.
  9. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    I agree. I used to go to guitar shows in Chicago every year and I just never picked one up. Also I remember going into vintage guitar stores in Illinois and seeing teles all day for $400. I’m kicking myself now

loudnlousy likes this.
  10. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    lower marigny, right across esplanade from the quarter. my new best friend lives in kenner. greenwood, but louisiana.

nickurso likes this.
  11. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Maybe we can play when things get better

mister rain likes this.
  12. SAguitar

SAguitar Gretschie

Jan 17, 2020
    Oregon
  13. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Who me? Yeah you are probably right about that

14. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    There is funk in that wood saddle, fyi. Those U2s really are cool, ive had 3 reissues and one real '57, also had a '57 U1 and a reish U1 and a Bari,if i could I'd jump on that brown one.
    Theres a Silvertone on my local CL for 300.00 right now too.

Merc likes this.
  15. mister rain

mister rain Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    new orleans
    sure, hit me up

nickurso likes this.
  16. DaddyDog

DaddyDog Country Gent

Sep 18, 2011
    Mississauga, Canada
    Funny, I’m eyeing the 59 NOS this week. Wish I could play it first. But just $800 Cdn sure is tempting.

nickurso likes this.
  17. BorderRadio

BorderRadio Country Gent

Mar 6, 2014
    Phoenix, AZ
    For me, a Danelectro is glorious shabby chic. It sounds good, but you gotta fight it or cuss at it. I don’t own a vintage one, but I’ve played a few 90s MIK reissues, owned a few U-2s. I love them because they are little hollowbodies, cheap Masonite, funky and light. I wouldn’t mess with the ‘formula’— aluminum nut, rosewood saddle on a steel or aluminum bridge plate, and the low-wind A6 lipsticks, with the middle position in series by default.

I sell them eventually, dunno why, I regret it. I don’t like to say this about anything, but they do feel a bit cheap in my hands. The white wallpaper binding peels, the neck is a bit thin, and concentric knobs are a PITA. But I still love em. Go figure.

The high end Dano looks good but that six saddle bridge is a no-go. Spruce? That’s not cheap at all ;)

I’m getting some Novak lipstick for my CP Jag, better playability but a Dano type sound. AFAIK, SDs are A5, and GFS is A2. I’d stick with A6, for what it’s worth. These pickups are unique in that the coil is wound on the magnet, and is semi related to the double coil Firebird pickup. I think only some mid-60s Melody Maker single coil pickups are made the same way.

2FECE7F3-3997-49F8-A3A8-6F0117C5DFE5.jpeg E6DB2437-B423-4128-ACB3-843F9EAE8785.jpeg

thunder58, RomanS and nickurso like this.
  18. Buckyboy

Buckyboy Gretschie

Had a Jerry Jones Longhorn bass for years that was my main gigging bass. It was awesome. In terms of the current Danos I had a six-string single-cut bass that was nice. I like this one but wish it had the old school wood bridge.
    [​IMG]

19. Scamp

Scamp Electromatic

Feb 22, 2018
    California
    I had a Dano12 string a couple year ago. Didn't really care for it, don't know why, just didn't bond with it. Sold it to a friend and he loves it. Saw Joe Walsh playing on recently, sounded great, has that 12 string sound you hear in acoustics.

nickurso likes this.
  20. Henrytwang

Henrytwang Synchromatic

Feb 28, 2010
    teignmouth uk
    I’ve got a 1990s reissue U2 which I paid £25 for used a few years ago. It’s a really nice little guitar to play and sounds great. Recent reissues have more sophisticated bridges with metal saddles and hotter pickups, I prefer my older guitars tone and basic rosewood bridge, believe it or not The intonation is dead on with a set of 10/46 strings.

nickurso likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.