looking for a slightly overwound TVJ Classic

Discussion in 'The Pickup Place' started by ModPopRumble, Mar 10, 2021.

1. ModPopRumble

ModPopRumble Electromatic

Mar 10, 2021
    Romania
    I realize that I ought to email Tom V Jones, but do any of you know if he winds custom pickups..I am looking for something in between a TV Classic and a Setzer for the bridge of a Black Falcon. I've had TVJ Supertrons before, in a Fano, and they are cool, but I'd like more clarity than that higher inductance blade set up can offer.

I'm looking possibly at getting a bridge Lollar Filtertron (the Filtertron one, not the full Humbucker), or possibly a Creamery from the UK..or I think Mojo UK, or MojoTone in the US makes these too. When I looked I remember the resistance suggesting that they are wound with a bit more turns than a TVJ Classic, which is almost there for me, albeit too thin, and maybe without the horsepower to balance well with a Setzer Neck that I have.

Just thought I'd see what the Gretschies had to say about it. Thanks!

2. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Friend of Fred

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    If TV won't do it, you might try Brandonwound. He gets good reviews, and his prices aren't exorbitant like some of his competitors.

ModPopRumble and thunder58 like this.
  3. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    Have you considered the TVJ Classic+ ?

That's what I have in the bridge position of my Falcon, and well, it's sure bright and clear. It will drive a distortion or fuzz just fine too.

Waxhead, ModPopRumble, Outlaw and 4 others like this.
  4. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Yes, TVJ custom winds.

ModPopRumble likes this.
  5. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    That was my first thought too.

ModPopRumble and audept like this.
  6. Mr. Lumbergh

Mr. Lumbergh Country Gent

May 14, 2013
    Initech, Inc.
    I second that this was my first thought.

ModPopRumble likes this.
  7. calebaaron666

calebaaron666 Friend of Fred

Aug 15, 2018
    Portland, Maine
    Another recommendation for a TV Classic Plus.

Waxhead and ModPopRumble like this.
  8. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    What about the Tv Jones Setzer?
    It sits in between the classic and classic plus.
    A bit more Power than the classic but more traditional than the classic plus

ModPopRumble and nickurso like this.
  9. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    hmmm. Good point.
    A custom wind on a TV Classic may be the way to go.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2021
    ModPopRumble likes this.
  10. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    From the original post it’s not entirely clear to me if OP has tried the Setzer bridge pickup(says he has a Setzer neck PU).

ModPopRumble likes this.
  11. Marv666

Marv666 Gretschie

Jul 26, 2020
    Germany
    I personally Think the setzer bridge is a good Compliment to a neck setzer.
    A classic plus is not what i would call a slightly overwound classic, rather a more modern even more overwound take on the classic

Henry and ModPopRumble like this.
  12. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The Classic bridge is 4.8K. The Classic+ is 7.8K.
    The Setzer bridge is wound to 6.3K and has mis-matched coilwinds. I’m not sure it’s just a coincidence, but 6.3 is exactly what you end up with if you combine one classic with a Classic+ coil.

I’d get either a Classic or Classic + and have a European winder rewind one coil to the specs of the other.

ModPopRumble likes this.
  13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Agreed. I love mine - have it in my 6128 along with a Super'tron in my neck position and it's a nice combination.

TV Jones' Description:

"Like a TV Classic but with more attitude, the TV Classic Plus is wound with thinner gauge wire providing slightly rounder top-end and touch of more output. Many players wish for a Filter'Tron that has "more" to it's sound...this pickup fills that need very well."

ModPopRumble likes this.
  14. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    MC,

I have a satin finish TVJ Classic Plus in my MY build, bright/clear/concise...works for me!

When I built the guitar last summer, I used a Setzer Sig, the Classic Plus is much better, remains sharp/clear at high volume.

BIB.

DSCF1307.JPG DSCF1308.JPG

15. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    Have you thought about tv Jones setzers they have more bite when you dig in

audept, ModPopRumble and Marv666 like this.
  16. ModPopRumble

ModPopRumble Electromatic

Mar 10, 2021
    Romania
    Sorry for being so late with my response, but I've been dealing with the aftermath of shoulder surgery to fix an injury incurred on the slopes on a ski bike of all things!

But Many Thanks for the very useful and practical thoughts everyone!

I haven't been able to do much typing, although now I can, easing into it anyway, but I did email TV Jones. They denied doing any custom winds unfortunately.

From the TV Jones line up I have tried the Setzer bridge, and I think it is a great pickup, but for my current application I'm looking for more clarity, and the Setzer bridge has this oomph in the lower mids, like maybe in the 400-800Hz range, maybe..it seems like it is a pretty wide Q type of thing, which can be wonderful to add "power and punch" but I want something with a lot more jangle and clarity. Sorry was that redundant?

And the Classic + just on paper seems too hot...but how is the clarity between the Setzer Bridge and the Classic + btw! What additional mids does the Classic + have compared to a Classic?

In any case, I think I'll need to look outside the TV Jones universe and get something in the 5.2k I think...
    On that note the Setzer neck is 4.5K...maybe it would pair acceptably well with a regular TV Classic at 4.8K..but then there is the whole inductance thing and I'm afraid that the TVC will be overpowered.

Anyway, I may even just ditch the Setzer neck and go full on TV Classic neck and bridge, or with some Lollars, etc.

Outlaw likes this.
  17. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    Maybe you're being a bit too picky about these K values. :D

I've got the TVJ Classic/Classic Plus combo in 2 Greatch.
    They are perfectly balanced together and were designed that way.
    It's the best pup set $$ can buy imo.

I've tried Lollar, and other brands of Filtertrons, and think TVJ does them by far the best.
    I would not match a TVJ classic with any other brand of Filtertron other than a Gretsch made one.
    Every other brand I've heard sound too much like a standard PAF to me :rolleyes:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.