Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Looking for a little input on used 6118 vs PE 6118

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by rytar, Mar 16, 2017.

1. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    Hey all long while since I posted anything but I am often lurking and really appreciate all the regular posters around here and their stories and experience.

I should probably change my avi as I sold the 5620, got a 5420 added some Tv's then traded that for a boatload of pedals (I know..I know. Please suspend judgement for now). The 5420 was great but it just wasn't getting the attention it deserved and a proposition came along that suited me quite well given the quality and value of the pedals I received outweighed the guitar.

So my only Gretsch right now is my Vette which isn't going anywhere ever. I have always loved a 6118 although I've only ever tried out a Jr in shop while on holidays when I was traveling. I loved it. You see we only get to play Electromatics or Streamliners where I am from unless you blind order a proline. Let's just say I live in the land of Marshall amps and PRS guitars..yuck. Personal biases aside, it's story time!

I am traveling in the coming weeks to a far away land where there is a 2005 6118 Double Anniversary sans bigsby (boo) for sale and I am keen to meet with the individual who has it and yes the gas is growing. I was considering saving for a new Players edition 6118 but this guitar is selling for about half of what that would cost me. So what would you do?.. I am fully aware of the differences between the 2 models for the most part I think and nothing is a deal breaker either way although I do like the new PE color scheme a touch more than the 2 tone green but a minor quibble.

You might be thinking and you would be justified given I traded a perfectly wonderful 5420: This guy should not get another similar guitar if he has the potential to trade it later. Fair. However after playing many single cut semis (Epi Dot, 5422's, Ricks the Jr Anni) I now know where my heart truly lies as far as size preference, plus everyone seems to love these things.

I am wondering how much a Bigsby + install will cost with the 05 but maybe I could live with out it.. I own 4 other electrics: 2 have trems and 2 have licensed bigsby's. Sorry for the novel but I am known to carry on and I like it! Experience, advice, tips, ridicule?.. Let me have it. Thanks in advance.

2. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    A B6 with install probably around 200 bux.

rytar likes this.
  3. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    A 2005 Anni will be a fine guitar if it fits. So you're very lucky. You can try it out before you buy. If you like it, then I would go for it unless there is some feature of the newer guitars (all my Gretschs are old prolines) that you really need to have.

You can buy a Bigsby from Darren Riley's or Angela's and install it yourself.

rytar likes this.
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    In 2005, 6118s were made in both Terada and Fuji-Gen Gakki factories. You can't really say one is better than the other, but you should be aware of the differences. The Fuji-Gen Gakki build will have a floating fretboard extension - in other words, it hangs over the top; it's not glued to it. I owned one of these and I can say it definitely has a little something extra in terms of resonance. The second letter in the serial number will tell you which factory that guitar was made in: JT = Terada; JF = Fuji-Gen. If you were originally planning on the PE, I'd say save up. Otherwise, you'll always wonder "what if..."

rytar, ZackyDog and audept like this.
  6. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I think the 2005 might have ebony fretboard, the current PE has rosewood, if that matters - ebony generally demands a higher price.

I also have an anni Jr and its my #1.

rytar and dilver like this.
  7. Tony65x55

Tony65x55 Friend of Fred

Sep 23, 2011
    The 'Shwa, Ontario, Canada
    Are you looking at the 6118 that's being advertised in Toronto on Kijiji and Craigslist?

8. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    No, I am traveling to Phoenix and a friend of mine there tipped me off about one that has been sitting there for a while. That one looks similar.

9. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    Great point and thanks for the factory information. Torn but I think I will just go and play it and if I get that "special" feeling I will pull the trigger. Nothing saying a PE isn't still in my future. Wish I could find a Jr at a decent price. Those are just always unreal. Smaller similar guitar with a black finish will cost you roughly double of a new Anni..go figure. Maybe it's my ignorance but does anyone know why they are so pricey? I mean I know I loved it when I played it but at $4500 jeeze.

10. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Are you referring to the 130th anniversary black and gold one? They seem to run new in the mid $3000s. $4500 is probably the gretsch msrp, nobody charges that. They also have tvj powertrons and ebony fretboard and bridge base.

Here's one, if we are talking about the same Jr.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/192109837846

11. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    That is the one and that guitar would be over 4500 for me in CND funds/shipping. Dollar..lame.

12. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    Were the 05' bridges pinned on these?

13. dilver

dilver Country Gent

Feb 16, 2009
    NJ
    Nope.

14. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    I am guessing that rytar is pursuing a guitar like this 2005 G6118 which, was made in the Fuji-Gen factory.

6118.jpg

benjwri likes this.
  15. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    Yeah. Ideally I would get that bridge stabilized and add a bigsby. Pretty torn now between these 3: 05' which would need a bit of work but the price is certainly right. The 130th anniversary Jr which I played once for about an hour in Kelowna through a crappy demo room solid state mustang. Ebay has some better pricing on this one. PE 6118 which I have not played but for the strangest reason feel it would somehow be a safe blind buy (cardinal sin I know).

16. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    Cello rosin is a great, and inexpensive, way of securing the bridge, without drilling, glue, pins or tape.

[​IMG]

It's OK to buy blind, as long as there is a return guarantee if the guitar doesn't meet your expectations.

17. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    Well I want to thank you all for your advice and help with this decision.

To make a long story short I played the green 6118 and while I really liked it I kept thinking that I would likely regret it as the Jr was where my heart truly was.

So story wrapped, he got the Jr right?.. Well no. I am holding out for a deal on one which could take some time so if it's meant to be then great.

Likely you have guessed what I did based on my Avatar. I got a Firebird Powerjet!

I played a black one in a store while I was away and it was instant love. I have only ever felt this kind of immediate attachment with a guitar then when I first played a J Marr Jaguar. Which I now own. I immediately set out to find a used Powerjet thinking I was due for my first black guitar. You see I tend to purchase reddish guitars. TVL Jazzmaster, Gretsch Corvette, JM Jag. Even my acoustic and semi are rosewood. I do like red but it honestly has just been kinda the luck of the draw so to speak so I have just started owning it.

This time however I decided that I would finally be able to change my color fortune with a black Powerjet. Well not so.. I won an ebay bid on a 2014 Firebird. Go figure. Oh well I did get it for half of the price I would pay at my local L&M ($3700!) so I am pretty jazzed about that, as is the wife.. Don't get me wrong I think the color is really cool, the universe just obviously is saying the Jr 6118 will be my first black guitar right?.. ;)

Brown truck comes today! Update to come..

18. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Congrats on the jet! Have you seen the black/gold anni jr? It is pretty sweet, and seems to be easier to find than the smoke green jr.

19. rytar

rytar Electromatic

Apr 28, 2015
    Canada
    Thanks! No I have not seen that model. Where I live I have never seen a pro-line for sale and L&M will never likely bring any in. Just Electro's and Streamliners.

When I do eventually find one it will likely be an educated blind buy as I have played the standard Jr in a shop in Kelowna.

20. Henry

Henry Friend of Fred

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    To feed your gas ;)