Look what I " found " and it came with a jack plate !... but no case

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jul 28, 2021.

1. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    I guess one man’s trash really is one man’s treasure.

thunder58 likes this.
  2. T Bone

T Bone Country Gent

Well they can say what they will, I sorta like the finish. While I wouldn't buy it, if it came into my possession as it did yours, no way I'd refinish it. Kid Rock, like his music or not, is in many ways a pretty cool guy. Met him on Christmas Day 2006 in Baghdad Iraq. He was there to entertain the troops and on Christmas Day he went to serve the troops lunch.
    standard_zpscfyspcsv (1)a.jpg

thunder58 likes this.
  3. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    thunder58 likes this.
  4. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Country Gent

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2021
    thunder58 likes this.
  5. DennisC

DennisC Country Gent

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    For free, this is more than nice!

Jackplate included ... that, I'd consider a sign that it was for you. I don't believe in signs of that kind, but that's besides, it was a sign that it is for you.

Sadly, this is pretty over-regulated in germany. When that one old lady still lived here, I repaired her bicycle multiple times (she's one of those people who succeed in braking everything they have), and one time, she had broken that switchbox outside of the hub, inside which the motion of the cable is translated to a motion directly applied on the shiftrod. I found a bike in the trash at the trash-collecting facility round my corner, having the exct same fivespeed hub she had. Asked if I can have it, so that I could repair her bike for free ... "no, and now that you've asked, I'll get it moved further right away!" - so I couldn't even steal it. Never got why insisting on trash being thrown away, although something still is useful, is even a thing, I mean, wasn't there, like, some kind of issues with limited ressources, and retired widows not being that rich, I've heard of all of that ... she lovingly would have used said switchbox. I bought one then, lied to her, said it was free so she wouldn't insist on paying.

Anyway, it seems, in the US the approach towards whose property the trash is, is a little less overregulated than it is here. Sometimes, what the germans are famous for, is what is really bad about us. Like this.

I'm pretty sure I'd be excited as f ... excited as something, would I find something of that kind in the trash. + learned my lesson - find something useful, just sneak it out. Don't ask, for then, there is no answer, so there can't be an answer that sucks, like the obligation to let perfectly usable stuff go to waste.

Kikstand and thunder58 like this.
  6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    I actually like Kid Rock myself . I watched the " Crossroads " concert series in the past and he played with Hank Williams Jr.
    Kid is a really talented musician . I guess he found his " nitch " in the music industry as many do and succeeded from there . I know one thing for sure ... he's not 62 yrs old getting up at 3 am Mon thru Fri getting ready to got to work and being on a guitar forum before he takes a shower .......:p

T Bone and Kikstand like this.
  7. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Congrats, great find Rich. Can’t beat the price!

thunder58 likes this.
  8. Robbie

Robbie Friend of Fred

Jun 17, 2013
    Sarnia Ontario Canada
    You’ll have fun with this, nice one!

9. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Congrats on cool dumpster find. I kind of like it.

10. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Good excuse to buy a bottle of Jim Beam!

thunder58 likes this.
  11. Sabato

Sabato Country Gent

Mar 22, 2019
    Massachusetts
    Thunder searching for another guitar:

12. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ah , ya caught me :p

Sabato likes this.
  13. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Why would someone throw a guitar like that into the garbage?

JC higgy, DennisC and thunder58 like this.
  14. nasonm

nasonm Gretschie

Nov 3, 2010
    New England, USA
    hey nice score!

thunder58 likes this.
  15. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    People do it all the time . That's why I have an " in " with the guy at the dump . He's given me clarinets , guitars , drums , keyboards and violins . I always try and give them away to someone who would appreciate them or wants to learn an instrument

Kikstand and loudnlousy like this.
  16. capnhiho

capnhiho Country Gent

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    My thoughts too!
    I say crack open a bottle of JB and ROCK ON!!

17. toddfan

toddfan Country Gent

Mar 12, 2012
    Kansas
    It says "Kid Rock" on it....I can see why someone would put it in the dump. :eek::D

Aside from that...it looks to be in great shape. Congrats.

You mention that you like to clean them up and give to charity or kids in need....Todd R. has a foundation that gives musical instruments to schools. When I shop on Amazon (which I often do) I always shop through Amazon Smile, and I selected the Spirit of Harmony foundation there as the recipient for all of my charity portion of sales. It's not a huge amount, but every little bit helps.

Sabato, thunder58 and DennisC like this.
  18. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Cool find sir!

I'll never understand anyone throwing something like that in the dumpster,what a waste.

19. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    A late friend worked as a handyman for apartment complexes in a college town. End of the year, the students would leave tons of stuff behind. The foreign students would leave big screen TVs, stereo gear, and lots of furniture as it wasn't useable, or feasible. to take it home. Dad will buy them all new stuff next year---including 700 series BMWs. The week students left was a dumpster diver's gold mine.

thunder58 likes this.
  20. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    For low value things, it is often easier to toss than try to find a home. For example a guitar like that might not be accepted as a donation at a thrift store here because it will be too hard to sell and take up real estate.

That will change as it will be increasingly expensive to throw anything away. We recently purged after about 10 years and paid someone to haul stuff away. They repair and reuse what they can, recycle what they can, and then dump the rest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.