Look what I " found " and it came with a jack plate !... but no case

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by thunder58, Jul 28, 2021.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So 2 days ago I had to go to the town dump and toss a few things . I always look inside the dumpster in case theres glass as I don't want glass to shatter back at me when I toss something in . Well I looked as I always do and this was standing up " caked " with dust .

Now some of you may remember that I have an " in " with the guy at the dump , as he always calls me when someone throws away an instrument , any instrument , especially guitars as I give them away on Facebook or to a favorite charity of mine .

So I cleaned this guitar , plugged it in and it's actually not a bad little player . It's actually a little heavy too like a Les Paul heavy . No case but it did come with a jack plate :p There's not really any info about this guitar on the net so I'm hoping you fine G-T's can add some info . Think I might keep this one ;)

IMG_4439.jpg IMG_4440.jpg IMG_4441.jpg IMG_4442.jpg IMG_4443.jpg IMG_4445.jpg

2. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    What's the name on the headstock?
    What'll it cost to get refinished?
    At least the price is right.

thunder58 likes this.
  3. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I say great for free! Wont cost you much to get a sticker to cover up the “Kid Rock” on it, Sweetwater will send em for free :rolleyes::rolleyes::D

4. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    No name on the headstock . Internet says it's a Gibson bit the headstock is Epiphone

5. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    hay @wabash slim @gtttrrr , here's the headstock with no name ...but just look at that plastic nut and truss rod cover IMG_4448.jpg IMG_4449.jpg

Archtops likes this.
  6. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    :):):):):) I haven't had a NGD in so long :):):):):)
    I'm a happy camper ( don't care what you guys think )

7. gtttrrr

gtttrrr Country Gent

Dec 7, 2011
    United States
    I am glad for you! Happy NGD!

thunder58 likes this.
  8. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    I couldn't tell you exactly what it is brand wise but I obviously be a Jim Beam promotional guitar, I see a few of them down here where they alcohol companies will do a win 1 of 50 Jim beam guitars when you purchase a carton of what ever, price wise well I've seen some of the white and black ones being advertised from anywhere between $350-$450, what they sell for though I don't know.

thunder58 likes this.
  9. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I've seen many of these advertising give away epiphones on GC. Rolling Rock etc. Though normally they have epi on the headstock.

If this is another one it's likely $140 guitar new and $80 used.

thunder58 likes this.
  10. panhead6zero

panhead6zero Country Gent

Jan 17, 2015
    The Motor City
    Congrats Rich! What a great find!!

thunder58 and oneforsorrow like this.
  11. jvin248

jvin248 Electromatic

May 16, 2017
    Near Detroit

It's an Epiphone Special HH, co-marketing with another brand.
    Not sure what they sold this as (many were spiff give-aways to retailers and such), but the regular production versions sold $120-$150 with some sales every other year for the holidays as low as $80. Then Gibson owners changed management and the lowest cost Epiphone is now $399.

Do a fret level if it needs it, a good setup including setting pickup heights by ear (generally lower is better), keep the stock pickups but swap the volume and tone pots, the switch, and the jack for the usual brands and these are great players. They weigh half as much as a typical Gibson-complainer says theirs weigh. Some think these are 'too light' and 'feel like a toy' but those are the same ones who complain endlessly about their Gibson cracking their shoulders at an all-night gig.

I've had a lot of these models (no marketing graphics ones though) and they can be great guitars with a little attention. My most often played guitar is the Junior Special H from this same series. Played more often than the Gibsons and Fenders in the fleet. It's a fun guitar.

So treat it like you would any $400 guitar, because that is what it would cost you to get the equivalent new Epiphone now, and have fun with it.

thunder58 and Henry like this.
  12. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Playing guitar
    Bottom of the dumpster, crazy. That is usually banjo territory. :D

13. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    https://reverb.com/item/5858618-epiphone-les-paul-special-ii-2011

https://picclick.com/Gibson-Jim-Beam-Devils-Cut-Electric-Guitar-Kid-Rock-302864112861.html

It looks like the Jim Beam / Kid Rock promotional guitars had the Epiphone headstock. They had bolt on necks so I wonder if someone replaced the neck at some point.

Fun find! These are the kinds of things that you cherish. I have an old espresso machine that a friend picked up for me at a garage sale for $5. Still works great, used it for years until I got a much better one. I love that old machine.

thunder58 likes this.
  14. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Can't complain about a free guitar. Only gripe I'd have is that it's covered with advertising.

...and accordions.

15. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    I'd suspect it's an Epiphone, just on it's cost alone. I doubt they'd cover a Gibson with advertising and just give it away.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
    thunder58 likes this.
  16. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    Still, very cool score!

thunder58 likes this.
  17. oneforsorrow

oneforsorrow Synchromatic

May 15, 2020
    Iowa
    I’ve got a collection I’d be happy to share!

thunder58 and gtttrrr like this.
  18. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    That's just pretty cool.

Shoot, play it, put it on the wall, gift it or whatever you do is a win win.

Your a lucky man. :)

thunder58 and oneforsorrow like this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    The red in the finish matches your eyes. :)

20. wildeman

wildeman I Bleed Orange

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Cool. I have a Epi Junior my friend found while demoing a trailer, he gave it to me and i love it, plays great, sounds great, especially with the Lollar P90 i put in it.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.