Longtime Gretsch owner, a few questions

Discussion in 'New Member Intros' started by Ducksteino, Jun 13, 2021.

1. Ducksteino

Ducksteino Newbie

Jun 13, 2021
    NY
    Hi All,

Here's my first guitar. Serial number says it's 1962. Older than me! My uncle bought this in the deep south in the '70's as a backup/slide guitar. In '83 he gave it to me and my brother to share along with a Hagstrom II. I bumped it off a stand and broke the headstock. I got it fixed by Mel at SIR studios in NYC, around the corner from my apartment at the time. He also put new frets in, but the head of the truss rod broke at that time. Ever since then I keep 11's on there but have it tuned to Eb.

Six months later there was a power outage during a heatwave in NYC, in August. The temp was 100 for a few days outside, and it was hotter in my 5th-floor apartment. I was reading on my couch when I heard a pop ... the glue gave way. Eventually I fixed it myself, but didn't do a great job (see pics)

In the pics here, you'll see a replaced bridge, I sanded down the base on this replacement because it was too high. I still have the original but it was pinching the high E. I replaced it before I knew about the graphite trick. After learning about binding rot from you fine folks I think my summer project will be addressing that chip and the bit at the heel. I'm looking for a case.

Is THIS the right case?
    Thanks for everything, forum friends,
    -OD
    IMG_8632.jpeg IMG_8633.jpeg IMG_8634.jpeg IMG_8636.jpeg IMG_8637.jpeg IMG_8638.jpeg

2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Cracks or no cracks , it's a beautiful guitar . Welcome to the forum @Ducksteino . I'm your neighbor in Rockland County

j.s.c and Ducksteino like this.
  3. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    BTW - where's the photo of the case ?

Ducksteino likes this.
  4. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    oooops .......sorry . Looks like it'll work

5. mrfixitmi

mrfixitmi Country Gent

Mar 20, 2010
    Michigan
    Great guitar, this is certainly worth fixing, thank you for keeping these pieces of history alive. The hyde glue is excellent, but can come apart during spells of intense heat. The heal cap is not a very difficult repair to create a new one for most luthiers.
    I am not sure if that the case you are referring to is the correct case for a model 6119.

I will let others chime in on that, I am certain that other will know.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    Welcome here.
    Nice guitar.
    It deserves a professional headrepair. When done correctly it will be more stable than it was when it left the factory.

7. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Welcome to Gretsch-Talk, Ducksteino!

I don't have much to say about guitar repairs, but there are plenty of people here that either do great work on their guitars, or can give you guidance about how to get the repairs do right.

Again, welcome!

8. Back in Black

Back in Black Country Gent

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Ds,

Very nice piece, in spite of the repaired headstock.

A G5420/22 case may work, what you're looking for is a case for a current model G6119T-62.

The correct part number for your case is, G6241 16, this is a deluxe case which will have an arched top, which allows room for the Bigsby, and higher wood based bridge.

Before you buy, you may want to take your guitar to your nearest authorized Gretsch dealer for a proper fitting.

Gretsch branded cases are important, especially yours with the repaired neck.

Gretsch cases have a foam wedge in the padding, which removes all stress on the neck, when it's lying in repose.

Hope this helps you.

Best,

DSCF1335.JPG
    BIB.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2021
    Ducksteino and rake_ether like this.
  9. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    Hello and welcome. Beautiful 6119 well worth professionally repairing. My new 6119-62 Limited Edition RW is a reproduction of a 1962 Tenny and assuming the same dimensions mine fits in my G6241FT case fine except that the case is for a 2.75" depth guitar (6120 or my 5420) rather than 2". You may have to add padding for best security. Finding the right case can sometimes be a pain.

Ducksteino likes this.
  10. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Ducksteino!
    welcome mat 120.jpg

Ducksteino likes this.
  11. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to the nut house Duck!:cool:

12. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Welcome, Ducksteino - let us know what you do with that.

13. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Welcome to Gretschville. Nice Tenny! Shame about the first headstock repair.

14. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello and welcome to G-T. Good to have you with us. Nice old Gretsch you have there.

15. afire

afire Country Gent

Nice Tenny. But it is not a '62. The plaques were added in '66. The serial number is date coded. Post it and we can tell you the month and year it was made.

16. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    ‘64-ish? Oddly I seem to recall a ‘62 ad showing Chet with a Tenny featuring a headstock plaque but I might be imagining things(see the ghost thread).

17. afire

afire Country Gent

I think there may have been a time when that was commonly believed (I think it might have been in Gruhn's book), but since dates and serial numbers are better understood now (largely thanks to Ed), that's clearly not correct.

Ricochet likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.