Locking nuts and my Gretsch

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by cosmicCowboy, Feb 21, 2021.

1. cosmicCowboy

cosmicCowboy Electromatic

Feb 11, 2021
    Texas hill country
    So it’s a beautiful Sunday and what is a glam rockin cowboy supposed to do after the week we had here in the Texas hill country...

So break out my trusty Gretsch, plug into my JCM8OO and 4x12 cab nothing but an mxr distortion plus and a phase90.

I start off with some Dolken Alone again and it was beautiful but just didn’t sound quite right. So I break out the other 4x12 cab. Now I’m definitely feeling the vibe.

so I’m on to some Crue and kickstart my heart... ohhhhh the glorious roar coming out of the speakers as I started off with some dive bombs introducing the deer and goats to the glories of the sunset strip.

this is where things started to go sideways. The sucker wasn’t staying in tune with the heavy divebombs and I thought to myself... I need a fix for this and that’s when it hit me... locking nuts..

2. amp360

amp360 Gretschie

Oct 21, 2012
    Maryland
    I have locking tuners on my Sparkle Jet and it stays in tune fine. I just really worked on the nut a lot over the years.

I also have a non locking nut guitar with a really old Floyd Rose without the fine tuners that is a great trem and it works fine.

In my experience using 3:1 and some graphite powder (you can get it for about $3 at Hobby Lobby with the pinewood derby cars) on the saddles and nut along with a properly cut nut and saddles will work pretty well. Add in locking tuners if you need them. The tuners can change the feel of the guitar so it's kind of a compromise (sometimes!).

Also, while I'm on the subject of graphite, adding a bunch to some of that Hobby Lobby arcylic paint that's about $1 a bottle makes great shielding paint, which ScrewMac and many others sell for $30+.

Anyways, as long as you bought a Floyd Rose #3 nut and have a modern Gretsch the locking nut would work fine if that's what you want to do. I believe a lot of the new Gretsch guitars have a 12" radius. Simple install.

Fun fact for you **** rocking cowboys. C.C. DeVille played a 6120 on the solo for Something to Believe In.

I was prob in 8th grade or a freshman when that came out and was kind of bothered by that because I had been collecting old Gretsch and Gibson guitars, which were kind of affordable at the time even for a kid mowing lawns and I had always hated hair metal.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2021
  3. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    It has been done before. French guy, I think he was still on the forum when I joined a decade ago.

4. cosmicCowboy

cosmicCowboy Electromatic

Feb 11, 2021
    Texas hill country
    I loved watching CC Deville growing up, he wasn’t the best most technical guitarist but he sure had fun and that is what it’s about...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.