Line 6 Pod HD/ Pod HD 500

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by NWAttorney, Dec 25, 2012.

1. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Does anybody use a Line 6 Pod HD? If so, what are your thoughts?

2. johnnyguitar

johnnyguitar Country Gent

Jul 10, 2009
    Canada
    Fantastic for recording or laptop use. Live.....eh....

Sent from my iPhone using G-T Forum

3. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    Can you add mp3/backing track with it? (the HD POD)

4. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Hi,
    I've had a Pod HD 500 for about 18 months.
    I bought it to use with my duo so I wouldn't have to take out an amp.
    I own a 1965 Vox AC 30, a Fender Deluxe reverb as well as several other nice amps so I'm kinda hard to please when it comes to using a modeling pedal as oppose to the real thing.
    That said I get some pretty decent results using the POD in the Duo setting.
    I wouldn't use it in my full band setting and prefer the real amps in the studio but the Pod is capable of getting some good sounds.

One thing I will suggest - forget about the stock sounds - they suck and are mostly unusable in a live performance setting.
    I started with a blank slot and created amps & effects by sitting in front of my real amps and tweeking the Pod HD 500 until I got close to the sounds coming out of my vintage Vox, Fender & Marshall amps.
    Do my patches sound exactly like the real thing? No but they are close enough to fool most of the listeners in the venues I play including some of my musician buddies and long time fans of my touring band.
    I also use a Variax guitar on about a dozen songs - nice being able to switch from an acoustic guitar to an electric lead guitar with one foot switch hit.
    I also use it on a few songs that require open tunings.

The HD 500 or for that matter any modeling box or software will never replace the sound of a really great tube amp but they are capable of getting some really good results under certain conditions.
    That said most people will be under whelmed with the factory patches.

P.S. You can play back tracks through the HD 500 and you can also plug a vocal mic into it and sing along as well.

5. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    I've got a good tube amp. I'm just wondering if it would be a good way to get a bunch of pedal effects since I only play at home, and if it can take mp3 input of any type.

6. BarryMClark

BarryMClark Country Gent

Apr 4, 2011
    Atlanta
    I heard some wonderful sounds from a fella named Jim Soloway on the Jazz Guitar forums. For me? Too much to fuss with.

7. MMike

MMike Gretschie

Nov 3, 2011
    Holland Mich
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012
  8. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    It would work nice as an effects unit but Line 6 makes a pedal with over 100 effects in it for using with an amp - it would be cheaper then buying an HD 500.
    No need to pay the extra money if you're going to be using a real amp unless you want to use the HD 500 for it's amp models as well.

9. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    What pedal do you recommend?

10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    If you've heard the HD 500 & like the effects you should try out the M 9 or M 13 pedal board.
    They have a really good selection of modeled effects - some of them are very good.

11. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    They are probably great. Just about the same as the HD500 ($499).

12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Man I didn't realize they cost that much.
    If that's the case you might as well get the HD 500.
    It has 100 effects and a bunch of really good sounding amp models.
    Like I said in another post you're better off building your sounds from scratch because the factory presets are over blown and most of those patches you wouldn't use in the real world.
    Good Luck with your decision.

13. NWAttorney

NWAttorney Country Gent

Feb 27, 2010
    Idaho
    I should probably just concentrate on getting better at PLAYING guitar first anyway :)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.