Like or Hate the G Brand on a Gretsch Guitar?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by cubby121, Mar 25, 2011.

1. WhoJamFan

WhoJamFan Synchromatic

Jan 20, 2011
    Los Angeles, California
    I think it's pretty cool to have the guitar themed out like that. In a world of dayglo multicolored guitars with handles on them and ones painted in truckbed lining with diamondplate pickguards, I think this scheme is much more classic, tasteful, and timeless.

I don't think I am gonna put one on my list of must haves, but it certainly wouldn't be a deal killer on a great priced guitar.

If I did get one, I would definitely need a custom Nocturne pedal with a matching brand.

2. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    I like it on the knotty pine, but just that.
    it just seems to suit the guitar.

Mr Marlin

3. MrVanDango

MrVanDango Gretschie

Sep 24, 2010
    Hemel Hempstead, Britain
    In other words you like what you like... Nothing wrong with that!

4. JohnnyRingo

JohnnyRingo Gretschie

Jul 13, 2008
    Georgia
    I'm gonna burn a big G on to my Lester just to watch it's "Coolness Factor" shoot through the roof.

5. spooky

spooky Gretschie

Oct 27, 2010
    space
    See what happens when you disagree

6. vulture

vulture Banned

Jun 26, 2010
    Tucson, AZ
    Easy there Dear one. My snaarky comment was not even directed at you.

I meant to express my general irritation at threads that begin with a premise intended only to cause disagreement or conflict.

See OP.

I mearly feel that posts should be subfects that will be universally harmonious... like politics, religion, or your favorite Marx brother, mines Margaret Dumont.

7. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    I've already seen this one! :p ;) :D

Tom - Stingker

8. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Frankly, this thread is from 2009. and I think most of the forum already spat out their opinion a long time ago. . .

So I guess I need to point out who this post is directed @ so no one gets offended too easily about harmless words over their false sense of pride and entitlement. So to clarify its for everyone to read, not directed at all, but this trend of petty arguing needs to end.

Everyone has an opinion, Everyone is allowed an opinion. but some people are A$S holes and remain outspoken about their opinion over others no matter what, and will keep re-asserting it in a defensive manner when people state their own opinion. Some people just cant accept that people around them are different, or make their own choices.

If you cant objectively just say what you like and leave it at that, or hear what someone has to say without having some comment which question's their PERSONAL reasoning based off of your personal choice, or ever feel the need to re-assert your opinion in a thread, you should probably lose your password, and stop coming.

Once your opinion is on here, if someone cares about your opinion, they will look for it.

Just get used to it, the world doesn't really care about what you like or what you choose to do with yourself, and you aren't going to be more or less correct for choosing anything different than someone else, and its stupid for someone to think that they've ever made the "best choice" for anyone else, but yourself.

Everytime one of these subjective question threads comes up this happens. The people that ask them are usually looking for comparative advice, its not an invite for everyone to come and give the 'best' opinion...

We're adults, we should be able to just say "this is how I feel about this, while others make a different choice. They will be along soon to comment."

but instead we keep getting "assert my point over this one as I THINK this is the better choice, also if I'm outspoken people might agree with me, and then I will feel more correct."

This is the downfall of modern society, too many people, too many individual opinions, not enough objectivity and self esteem/emotional security.

9. Stingker

Stingker Country Gent

Aug 31, 2010
    California
    Thank you very much, Lizardkinged!

I believe that among the Wisest Words ever spoken or written are these:

"And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain."

Just what does this mean? - I'll tell you that for me it means that you should fully listen and explore any and all ideas that any one else would have you hear, discuss, and consider fully, practically twice as much as the other one(s) required!

If everyone Really did that Peace on Earth would be fully achieved.

The 'problem' enters in when, do to unresolved internalized denial of past trauma in an individual's life, people get irritated and angry, which they then blame on the person they're dealing with. - That's what leads some to say things like, "You're getting me upset!" - A person saying such a thing is not comprehending that actually no one else can make you get upset! - Getting upset comes from within one's own being, from some unresolved issues from the past.

So, if instead of letting the anxiety arising within oneself to be blamed on another, if each of us, at such moments, would just hold on to our 'Better Judgement,' and insist that we stay calm and kind, and just stick to the objective meaning of the discussion, greater comprehension of all pertinent issues becomes resolved, including previously misunderstood and unresolved problems from one's own past!

If and when a person learns to do that well, instead of reacting negatively towards others, he will learn to solve all of his own problems, fully!

It's extremely easy for anyone and everyone to just blame others for their own problems. Generally it's much easier than earnestly seeking out the internal causes of one's own anxieties and problems.

One needs to have an earnest desire to understand the Real Truth, in the first place, in order for this stuff to work!

"A failure of True Sincerity toward the True state of things, dooms the progress of useful Understanding." - Davey Draven

Tom - Stingker

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  10. wilhite

wilhite Synchromatic

Feb 13, 2011
    Texas
    I've liked the G brand since I first saw one. I was really surprised to see so many people dislike it. I agree with Tom about the fake f holes though. Don't really care for them. To each his own I guess.

11. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I like G brands because they cause dissension in the ranks and needless quibbling among friends.

12. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo

exactly!! lets start another one on gold hardware or lacquer vs poly :D

13. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Love my G branded, western-kitschified 6120DSW and wouldn't have it any other way. As a fan of Gretsch history and lore, it fits my aesthetic about what Gretsch guitars mean to me - at least just one of many aspects of Gretschitude.

I used to dislike the faux F-holes, until I understood why there is a need for them. I got educated with my 6122ii Chet Atkins Country Gentleman - a real feedback beastie. Sold it off and I humbly gained respect for those who have faux F-holed guitars.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
  14. Nobody

Nobody Gretschie

Feb 25, 2011
    Vancouver BC
    i got a dsw and i like how it all looks. a real cowboy guitar! kinda cool. but brand or no brand, it wouldn't make a difference to me.

15. collared_dove4

collared_dove4 Gretschie

Apr 13, 2010
    florida
    I don't mind how the G brand looks.
    Though I wouldn't ever be interested in owning a gretsch with the G.

16. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    faux holes eh?

17. Snorre

Snorre Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Walkersville, MD
    Exactly! :D

18. Dan C

Dan C Country Gent

Mar 20, 2011
    London
    Agree :)

19. Strummerson

Strummerson Country Gent

Jul 15, 2010
    Ann Arbor
    I love cowboy-kitsch guitars all dolled up in G-brands and western decorated humpblocks...by "real Americans"...in Willamsburg, Brooklyn NY!!!

20. the_undecided_one

the_undecided_one Electromatic

Mar 4, 2010
    Sandpoint, ID
    Best. Python. Ever!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.