Like a NGD but Not

Discussion in 'Other Cool Guitars' started by diamoroso, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    She’d a real beauty with cool inlays. That’s a very hip looking family too.

diamoroso likes this.
  2. JC higgy

JC higgy Friend of Fred

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Beautiful aul geet that,great to see you rescue it diamoroso!:cool:

diamoroso likes this.
  3. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    So what exactly was done to make it a solid player again? I suspect new neck binding and maybe new frets. Did he have to repair any cracks?

diamoroso likes this.
  4. flip

flip Electromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Manchester UK
    Very interesting thread and lovely guitar.

I owned a Vega flat top 6-string guitar in the early 70's. Mine was a blonde, figured maple with spruce soundboard. With heavy D-41 type abalone inlays and gold plated machine heads it was probably the prettiest guitar I ever owned.

I understood it was one of a shortish run made at the Egmond factory in Holland using wood from Levin in Sweden using Martin designs and overseen by Martin supervisors. I seem to recall that by then Martin had bought the Vega Co and Levin's wood stock. Sadly the neck/body joint wasn't a Martin double dovetail and I learnt that the joint became a problem later.

Sadly for me a client dropped mine and broke the headstock off. My dearly missed luthier, Adey Edelston, couldn't match the wood. He did accept the pieces and a few hundred notes and sold me his second (of two) completely hand-built Accujazz guitars, the fastest guitar I ever played but that's another story.

diamoroso likes this.
  5. diamoroso

diamoroso Gretschie

Feb 4, 2019
    San Diego, CA
    Actually the neck binding and frets are original still, although the frets did need quite a bit of work to dress up. The neck was bowed, but no truss rod, so he got that straightened out. He explained the process, but I can’t remember what he said he was going to do to be honest. Fretboard was super grimy, that’s cleaned now. The body had at least 3 major cracks in it, which are fixed and hardly noticeable now. The bridge was bent and leaning forward, and even though it wasn’t the original bridge, he fixed it instead of replacing it because he said it was a perfect fit for the guitar. Tuners were difficult to turn, felt corroded, now they are smooth and hold timing well. The pickguard is also new, the original was gone long before I was born. I’m sure there are a few other things he did that I can’t recall at the moment too.

Merc likes this.
  6. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    That is a killer guitar! I have a rescue Vega myself, it is a bit rougher than yours but i did the best i could with it. It's a '41 C-56 i found dried out in the back of a music store, i made a trade with the owner for a MOTS Hawaiian amp. It took lots of work but i love now. 15963872983841132488846.jpg

diamoroso, new6659 and Merc like this.
  7. johnny g

johnny g Country Gent

Sep 2, 2017
    union, ms
    Great story. The story is as good as the guitar. Thanks for posting.

diamoroso likes this.
  8. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    It looks so good I thought it had been replaced. Thats even better and it looks great for being original.

diamoroso likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.