Level Up+

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by themick, Jun 7, 2012.

1. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    he's a worship leader / band leader already and is probably tired of the U2
    I - V - mVI- IV progression on every song. :)

get this album Mick..

The Violet Burning; Faith and Devotion of a Satellite Heart.. all gretsch content from Mike Pritzl

this is one of those tunes for coming out of set list that has been mostly reflective. Its a slow burn that builds over 3 minutes into a clappy happy stolen bass riff of "Same as it ever was" by the talking heads. I used it often as the "after sermon" closing tune.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwY_e1vAy08

2. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    I took my wife with me to see Tommy. She had no interest in him before hand and was not fussed about going to a guitar show, but we don't get out much without kids, so she indulged me.

She was so impressed with the man, that she was talking about me getting a luthier-built guitar if it "would help you get better" and be as positive about life as he was, BEFORE WE GOT TO THE CAR.:cool:

Last edited: Jun 7, 2012
  3. DId you get the guitar? He is p;laying about an hour from here saturday. The wife and kids will be visiting inlaws, I am thinking of going. Just so I can be put back in my place!

4. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    I've seen the same thing myself. I think my favorite is the guy that can slap and pop an electric bass but can't play a twelve-bar blues.

I couldn't agree more about copying solos note for note accomplishes much more than just learning a solo. I shows you how the solo was constructed. It shows you what works . . . and what doesn't work. One important thing, is that learning to play someone else's solo teaches you to explore fingering options. I can't tell you how many times I've learned a solo and then revised the fingering dramatically after a while as it dawned on me just how the original artist had to have played it. this is an ongoing process. Sometimes you actually find a way to improve upon the original artist's work.

There is nothing lame about copying. Listen to Jeff Beck play all those Cliff Gallup solos on his Crazy Legs CD. He knew that stuff forward and backward. I don't think that he learned those solos in prep for the album, I'd bet my hat that he had been playing them for years and years, that they were part of how he learned to play and that he not only could mimic the solo but that he understood the solos both technically and artistically.

This is not only true with Rock guitar, I've seen plenty of Jazz guitarists that had copied other players solos. Some of these conservative old-school Jazz players could rip up on some Blues and Rock solos. Most of them had copied Charlie Christian and he was a fantastic Blues influence.

I mention this because it's good to reach and learn different genres, even if you never intend to play in that genre. There was a time when I didn't want to play Country but I'm sure glad that I learned how. Not only did it help me to play country but it helped in my Jazz solos. The famous sax solo in Billy Joel's "Just the Way You Are" relies heavily upon Major pentatonic scales. Learning Country music actually helped me to understand that very Jazzy solo.

Likewise, while Major 7 chords are not as common as they were in the '70s they are still part of music and sooner or later you'll run into them. You can't handle them the same way as you handle Majors, Dominant 7ths or minor 7ths. Learning a few old Standards will prepare you for this.

Sent using G-T Forum app

5. sligo ray

sligo ray Synchromatic

Jun 17, 2011
    New Zealand
    I envy you the opportunity. He won't be our way again for some time. And, no, I didn't get the guitar, but a new amp instead!:)

6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Absolutely NOTHING helps more than playing/jamming with others in a laid-back setting and simply learning to LISTEN.

7. Fallen Saint

Fallen Saint Synchromatic

Apr 14, 2010
    Atlanta
    That.Is. Amazing.

8. Uncle Daddy

Uncle Daddy Friend of Fred

Jan 19, 2012
    Maldon UK
    10. Sell your soul to the devil!

9. NeilSt

NeilSt Country Gent

Oct 26, 2010
    Lynnwood, WA
    Well....you don't have to sell...trades are always good!

10. themick

themick Synchromatic

Nov 14, 2010
    Chicagoland
    At the Crossroads.

11. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Yep, they don't get much better than Joel.

Sent using G-T Forum app

12. bobkat

bobkat Country Gent

Jun 2, 2008
    Valparaiso Indiana
    I own two of Joel's albums, Mark and I have also met him and he is very cool. He and his band,"The Modern Sounds" opened for Imelda May. After their set he he hopped off the stage and headed right for me! I couldn't believe it! I had made a strap for Darrel and he had heard about it backstage! What fun, we had a nice talk and after the show I bought two cds from him, I should have had him sign them!!! I am such a dork!

Attached Files:

13. RhineO

RhineO Gretschie

May 31, 2012
    Cologne, Germany
    When you analyze a good guitar part you will find that it's just all in the right spot. I learned a lot from listening to The Beatles and figuring out what they're doing.
    When I contribute to a song or write one myself it is often a process of throwing out the superfluous stuff, I always start out playing too many notes.

Record yourself playing and you will hear your weak spots soon enough. If it doesn't sound right it could be the sound, the wrong chord voicing, the wrong ATTITUDE, maybe the tuning is off. Attitude is so important. When you listen to your playing always ask yourself if this is convincing, if you are really saying something, if the song sounds better with your guitar on it. The right TONE is where it all starts for me, things start falling into place much easier with a good tone.

I tell myself these things over and over again, and I'm sure I will never cease to do so.

Cheers.

14. Synchro

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    He's a heckuva nice fellow and an astounding player. The last time I saw him play was at this year's Deke Dickerson event. He was helping out; playing rhythm behind a steel player whom would have been challenging to accompany. He kept it solid the whole time, bringing order to disorder. I was very impressed.

Sent using G-T Forum app

15. fjr_wertheimber

fjr_wertheimber Gretschie

Apr 1, 2009
    Austin, TX
    That's how I felt the first time I saw Jim Heath and Junior Brown playing up close. It's funny, in both cases you could spot all the guitar players in the rooms 'cause we were the ones alternately with our jaws on the ground or shaking our heads obviously thinking, "I will NEVER be that good..." LOL

16. Crooner

Crooner Friend of Fred

Apr 15, 2009
    Boston
    Everyone's comments are spot on.
    As for myself, getting my chops back yet again, I'm starting out in a couple of ways:
    I'm re-learning as many Beatles songs as possible on my acoustic (and singing along as best I can with my wacko teeth sitch) and learning both whole songs and just cool licks I hear or see on YouTube or other places. I’ve been using the Beatles To A Tee DVD's a lot as they are, by far, the most accurate examples of exactly what was played and how. This is especially helpful as it's instantly obvious that the Beatles didn't play things the "easy" way. They often used cord and note placements that are not the first thing you’d think and can be a bit challenging at first, but striving for the precision they achieved automatically gives one the requisite technique needed for all kinds of other tasks.

Most importantly, play what you love.

17. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    10 minutes? I think it took a month before I even eyed up a guitar again... He makes good medication for reoccuring GAS pains though...lol.

18. WATThouse

WATThouse Synchromatic

Try a different instrument for a while. When I played bass for a while, my rhythm and ability to work harmony increased ten-fold even in the murkiest of chord progressions. I started playing pedal steel about seven years ago and learned so many inversions that it finally clicked and connections became clear. Then I realized I have so much more to learn and it will never end. As soon as you think you've got it and you're "good", stop playing music for a while because you are about to get stuck in a big, boring rut. Enjoy the process. IT NEVER ENDS. Woohoo!

19. Ricochet

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Move away from your comfort zone. Go "outside", learn bitesize managable chunks of information, a weird scale, a few new chords and go back in, and try to make it work with something your comfortable with.

I actually found my time with a band extremely counterproductive. While maybe growing as a performer and building some confidence, my chops never got better. Of course that is not saying much. :)

20. Ricochet

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.