Let's talk the truth about pedals. Are they all really the same ??

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by thunder58, Feb 8, 2020.

1. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Unknown.jpeg I think @larryb swears by it

larryb likes this.
  2. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    To me they are all different. Even if they use the same parts they all sound different. That goes double for ones that use germanium transistors.
    I like the brassiness of the one on "Satisfaction" by the Stones. I love the sound of the fuzz bass on The Beatles "Think For Yourself". The low fi sound on all those 60s records. The way Jimi used a fuzz face and how they sound with a Strat when you back off the volume control on the guitar. I love a Ratt pedal when you have the gain structure setup properly. It's all cool and after 40 years I'm still buying them. I once had a Lafayette Electronics pedal back in the early 70s that I loved but it stopped working and got thrown away...still looking for one of those that still works.

J Bird and thunder58 like this.
  3. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    The Swollen Pickle?...it was cool for about a week...but just wasnt my kind of fuzz...

thunder58 likes this.
  4. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    So what's your thought's on this fuzz lover :p

larryb likes this.
  5. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Really what I posted initially...I dont know anything about quality and similarities of components....but as far as fuzz...watch that vid i posted...I love those tones....
    Big fan of Fulltone: Ultimate Octave or Octave Fuzz
    EarthQuaker Devices make great stuff....The Hoof is a really awesome...useable fuzz. I find some fuzzes to be super cool, but also super-over the top...such as the The Swollen Pickle.

Just depends what you want? Looking for a tone you can keep on throughout an entire song....or something to stomp for a punctuation of manic-swarming bees, that you kick on for that one riff?:cool:

I love this pedal and think it is one of the coolest things out there...but I cant justify buying it for the limited times I would use it for..

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    rob batz and thunder58 like this.
  6. Bertotti

Bertotti Friend of Fred

Jul 20, 2017
    South Dakota
    I don't know if they gave up on this one but it isn't available on their site anymore. Still listed just out of stock but this one is and it is pretty darn crazy as well. Kind of out of the price range in this case thougnh.

7. Merc

Merc Country Gent

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I wouldn’t say all pedals are equal but most will likely get the job done. In a live full band setting and depending on what style you’re playing... I believe the crowd mostly won’t notice the fine differences we as players hear. However if you’re plugged in alone, it’s becomes an obvious experience that some pedals will inspire and some will flop.

If you love the Big Muff style fuzz but not the size, JHS makes a Muffuletta pedal that has seven different style Muffs in one pedal. Although it’s not cheap. A used one runs around $175. But that’s a bargain for a Muff lover with multiple Muff versions in one pedal.

My Fuzz list that I’ve owned:

- MXR Classic 108
    - Dunlop JH1 Hendrix Fuzz Face
    - Dunlop Octavio JH-OC1
    - Nocturne Seltzerado
    - Black Cat Monster K Fuzz (would love to buy another, had a defective pot)
    - MXR Super Badass Variac Fuzz (my current Fuzz).

thunder58 likes this.
  8. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I still got a big-box Big Muff and an old Roger Mayer pedal for fuzz stuff. Both sound totally different. I think that there are many, many drastically different shades when it comes to fuzz.
    And there is a big difference in quality of components and general design.

A friend of mine owns some ancient germanium fuzz boxes. He stores them in his fridge to keep them cool for perfect operation. He usually takes two of them to a gig and changes between them during the break between sets because of the usual temperature problems.
    Modern fuzzes do not have to be babied like that but they do sound very different to those.

thunder58 and Trash Kidd like this.
  9. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I bought a fuzz from a member here that just says Mahoney on it for something like 40 bux, it is so good! It's the only one i've kept out of 10 or so, it just does what i want, think Biker cheeze, Spaghetti cowboy noise.

calebaaron666 and thunder58 like this.
  10. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Gretschie

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin
    Thank you for posting this. As someone with a degree in electronics followed by a chunk of my career designing circuitry to measure real world events (displacement, force, temperature, etc) I am driven nuts (ok, pushed closer) by various claims particularly in the world of sound.

I recently read a book on tube amps that leaned heavy on 'mojo'. In my mind, all I saw was ‘nope’. Poor design and shoddy workmanship aside, aged components, years of speaker break-in, and perception clouded by memory of those players we like have more affect than anything else. A theme that runs through theses forums holds tight to my opinion : ‘Get what sounds good to you.

Frank_NH, Bertotti and thunder58 like this.
  11. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    They are not the same. But that doesn't mean you can't find a "good sounding/sound you want" in a cheap pedal.
    It just depends on what you want. There are a few name brand pedals I just cant bond with also. Big Muff being one.

thunder58 likes this.
  12. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Kind of me too with a degree . I took electronics for 2 years in high school ( 75-77 ) radio and TV Repair to be exact . I can still read resisters too . The whole thing is a dying art IMO . Teacher use to say " what you learn today is obsolete tomorrow " . All in all , yea , what sounds good is the way to go

DougWheeler74 likes this.
  13. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    THAT is frighenting ... but in a good way :D

larryb likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    You mean a Proco Rat? Do you consider this one a fuzz already?
    Love these ones (especially when running Marshalls) but I would put a Rat in the "overdrive cathegory".

15. johnnybegood

johnnybegood Electromatic

Jan 26, 2020
    Charleroi Pa.
    I bought this used for $50 and sold all my other distortion pedal even has memory channels for different sounds setups. Works for me but I am a novice 20200208_133124_Film1.jpg

thunder58 and rob batz like this.
  16. BatmansGretsch

BatmansGretsch Gretschie

Dec 3, 2019
    Earth
    I love Earthquaker devices range of fuzz pedals and there is some nice vintage gear out there but there is only one fuzz I have ever actually needed and used. It is your one but I spent just a little more on the wicker version to give me more options with it. For the price, I think it pretty unbeatable.

[​IMG]

thunder58 and Trash Kidd like this.
  17. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    If you max it out it can become a fuzzy mess but yeah at lower settings it is an overdrive pedal.

thunder58 and loudnlousy like this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    Makes sense now. I have the Fire cream, didn’t impress me much. Never liked the Big Muff tonality either.

I’d stay away from Behringer pedals if just for the plastic casing. Behringer reworked the entire pedal line for TC Electronics, which they own. Maybe look into those?

thunder58 likes this.
  19. Synchro

Synchro The artist formerly known as: Synchro Staff Member

Jun 2, 2008
    Tucson
    Admin Post
    Rich, Rich, Rich! I can see that the burdens of being a Moderator have driven you to madness. Welcome to the club. :)

For Fuzz, which I never personally use, I would nonetheless agree that Germanium Diodes are the way to go.

As for the rest of the question, are all pedals the same? No! Switch quality, enclosure quality, the quality of the engineering and, if it's a DSP pedal, the quality of the programming, all vary greatly. I have any number of delay and/or reverb pedals and the quality of these is all over the map. Some sound good, but not all of them work well with other pedals. (Buffers are miracle workers for this dilemma.) Personally, I would avoid the ultra cheap stuff and go for something that is of higher quality.

thunder58 and TSims1 like this.
  20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    It's a mixed bag. Quality parts can impact the tone or the durability or both. And even if they're all using the best components, small variations in design make a big impact on how they sound.

With cameras - for the most part, the main camera companies build their own bodies and lenses in house - Nikon, Canon, Fuji, Sony etc. and always have. I don't know of a time when Minolta slapped their name on Nikon etc. And even today, they have their own coatings and glass formulae and even though they mostly buy Sony sensors, the electronics that to around them are their own design. Hence, a Sony A7R and D810 have the same sensor chip from Sony, but different performance. However, some lenses are made by contract manufacturers. Zeiss, for instance, has several of their lenses made by Cosina. And yet, their lenses stand above most because Cosina follows their formula.

With pedals, it comes down to whether or not you like the sound - the noise, the tone, the feel - and the durability. I have this one boutique pedal that I really liked the tone of, but the foot switches went bad quickly and I replaced them with Carling. The pots got terribly scratchy, so I replaced those too. Now it's staying on my board forever because it can.

Maybe the big makers like Boss come out of a contract manufacturer? Maybe Joyo and Danelectro are mostly schlock but there are some that people really like. But if you start looking into old guitar amps, Fender generally stands out because their amps from the 50's and 60's are still working today. You can find 60's fenders with all original components that still work great.

This doesn't feel like an answer. I don't know, I think you were musing.

thunder58 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.