Let's talk about Butts...see what I did there?

Discussion in 'THE Gretsch Discussion Forum' started by Drock2k1, Sep 27, 2020.

1. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    I have looked at both of the Gretsch forums and at other resources online but honestly, there doesn't seem to be a lot of user reviews on these. I think I am in the minority but I have never cared for TVJ classic pickups. They just had too much of a Tele twang for me, this is why most of my guitars have kept their HS filtertrons in them. Curious now that they have been out for a bit what folks think of these after they swapped.

2. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    @TV the Wired Turtle is a great source of info on TV Jones pickups and Ray Butts pickups in particular. I hope he will grace us with his knowledge and insights.

Drock2k1 likes this.
  3. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I love the RB's that I put into my -58 Gent.

That said, if you think Classics are too twangy, the RB's are too, maybe even more so, at least to my ears.

A little more open on the top end, a little tighter on the bottom. Pretty much the way TV Describes them on his website.

20200107_170427.jpg 20191216_153846.jpg

If you're looking for less twang, these aren't it.

Drock2k1 likes this.
  4. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    Scratchin my noggin here a bit because HS Filtertrons have a more strident treble and somewhat softer low E and A than Classics that bring forward a more pronounced response from the lower wound strings while keeping the High E and B a bit smoother... Now, if you are talking about that upper mids "snark", then yes definitely that is evident in the Classics over the stock HS filtertrons. That said if you are a fan of the HS Filters, that rock a bit less than Classics, the Ray Butts are the ticket for taking your instrument more towards Chet Atkins meets Harrison and get drinks w early Straycat's Setzer tone.. Much of this comes from the construction of the bottom plates on the Butts as well as no wax potting.

Because Tom has such fine tolerances for production of these Butts pickups, its almost head shaking at how resistant they are to feedback and undesirable microphony (a certain element of microphony is beneficial towards a more open and dimensional "air" about the plucked notes). Because Tom stuck to the spacing that was spec'd on the Ray Butts pickups, by nature where the polescrews fall beneath the strings seems to bring an element of warmth on the unwound strings that can feel almost strident on hs filtertrons. Again because of the special (original spec) baseplate and extented polescrews the inductance is affected on the lower wound strings (Tom could elaborate) that keeps the picking dynamics well placed for finger pickers. And like I mentioned about such tight tolerance on these butts pickups (even though the tops are not soldered to the plates like most modern builds (again vintage butts specs) you can get away with medium gain overdrive pedals.

I cant say enough about them for the clean and roots/indie player as well as the chicken pickin honky tonker and bro country player. Now all of this is through MY filter of finding the Butts pickup to be a solution for Trestle Braced Gretsch hollowbodies, because I prefer my Setzer Sigs on my 99' tone post gretsch. The Butts smooth out the irritating treble twang I cannot dial out of my rig w my trestle braced guit. I dont use blackface amps, rather blondes and vox amps that have a well defined mids section that is blasphemously scooped out on blackface amps. :) dont hate me... I'll at least concur that Blackface amps sound righteous w gibson humbucker guitars . My next conquest is a set of Ray Butts in Soapbar mounts that I have sitting here ready to install into a Bo Diddly Im putting together, sooner than later.

I wouldnt be true to myself if I didnt mention that the ray butts in my setzer smoke w my brain preamp into blondeshell amp and get me a desirable dynasonic vibe with rounded top end and leaner bass. Two things Dynas need into blonde and vox amps IMO.
    The T-armonds in my tele will slice your head off w the stock tone control all the way open so i keep a 250K tone pot and 300K gibson taper vol pot on that guitar.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2020
  5. Drock2k1

Drock2k1 Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2013
    Indiana
    Sweet mercy, that’s a ton of incredibly useful information. The smoothed upper mids certainly peak my interest. I do realize that the body size can change the tone and that could have played a role in what I was hearing. The Classics I have owned have all been in Setzer Hot Rods. I love how other people can make them sound, just not me.

6. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Told you Tavo was the right guy to ask.........;););)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.