Let's see your modded Streamliners

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by section2, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Double_A

Double_A Electromatic

Nov 13, 2018
    California
    “Found 2 vintage gold G knobs for the master vol and tone, and I decided to go with ‘72 Telecaster Custom style dial knobs for the pup volumes.”

I’m pretty sure you have the bridge vol and tone control switched. Unless you had it rewired that way.

Jobin85 likes this.
  2. Jobin85

Jobin85 Electromatic

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    do you have pics of that? I would love to see it

3. Double_A

Double_A Electromatic

Nov 13, 2018
    California
  4. advid

advid Gretschie

Mar 5, 2017
    London UK
    ..Just modded my 'newish' 2420 Streamliner (amber finish)
    Gretsch 'V' cut Bigsby, Blacktops, Pickguard and knobs. Rocking Bar Bridge....
    GRETSCH-2420-mod.jpg Plays great, very pleased....
    Recently sold off a G6120 ..just didn't play right for me ? This 'cheapo' plays like a dream..these Streamliners are worth every penny....Can't see what you're geting with the Pro stuff for seven or eight times the price...?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
  5. davenumber2

davenumber2 Gretschie

Nov 1, 2019
    Columbia, MO
    Wow! That looks great.

6. Jobin85

Jobin85 Electromatic

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    Screenshot_20200724-073615_Gallery.jpg 20200725_100059.jpg 20200725_095925.jpg 20200725_100038.jpg 20200725_100108.jpg 20200725_100155.jpg FB_IMG_1595686103950.jpg

Update: I was inspired by this group and decided to make some changes. Tuners: Grover imperial
    Straplock: Gretsch Chrome
    Toggle switch: Chrome
    Jack plate: Football style
    Poker chip: chrome by hellparts
    Pickguard: Quickguard

Knobs: Chrome (painted black and red)
    Strap: Diamond themed
    Custom vinyl decals by local print shop.

Attached Files:

7. Jobin85

Jobin85 Electromatic

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    View attachment 143458 View attachment 143459

8. Jobin85

Jobin85 Electromatic

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    Now it is 100 percent complete. By fluke, I found the strap at a local music store today Screenshot_20200731-224132_Gallery.jpg FB_IMG_1596310529044.jpg

9. TXFlatpicker

TXFlatpicker Electromatic

Aug 2, 2020
    Denton TX
    Sir this is amazing, and the first original streamliner I have seen.

knavel likes this.
  10. photodude

photodude Electromatic

Aug 7, 2020
    Midwest

That finish is just too damn nice! I can't stop looking at it.

11. Humpblock

Humpblock Electromatic

Jan 28, 2020
    Australia
    Bigsby, silver knobs and tip, nicer pickguard and a horseshoe sticker. Living by the beach ages them too, that cheaper metal doesn’t like salt.

Attached Files:

12. TXFlatpicker

TXFlatpicker Electromatic

Aug 2, 2020
    Denton TX
    2018 2622T bought new old stock at a discount, looking to make a late 60's Viking vibe. New PowerTrons, TV Harness, ABM bridge, rev spring, Quick pickguard, Grover milkbottle tuners, and G knobs , oh and a headstock sticker . There were a lot of fitment issues to resolve, but all done cleanly and final product is perfect.

Attached Files:

Jeremiah_S and ALS57 like this.
  13. andreww1962

andreww1962 Gretschie

Apr 30, 2019
    Toronto
    Did you bind the F-holes?

14. Letsch

Letsch Electromatic

Mar 9, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Hi everyone, I finally finished modding my streamliner today, so after a bunch of playing the next thing to do is take some glamour photos and post them online!
    Here it is. A picture perfect version of my 'dream Gretsch' - dark sunburst with dynasonics and a V-cut bigsby.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    IMG_1416.JPG
    • The Mods:
    • DeArmond Dynasonics. (These are the currently made Korean ones). I love all types of dynasonic. I had to learn how to 3d model so that i could print the risers, posted in another thread. The files are now up on thingiverse, go grab em if you want / need em.
    • Wiring harness with 500k CTS pots and Switchcraft Jack. Wired up like a les paul. I don't like master volume knobs, especially as I use a pedal anyway for swells and pedal-steel effects. Sacrilege, maybe? Sorry...
    • V-cut Bigsby & Gretsch roller bar bridge, Reverend soft-spring
    • Hand-made pickguard out of some perspex and some gold paint
    • G knobs from a notorious chinese reseller. I don't think they're knockoffs, but if they are, they're very very good ones.

Yes, it would have been (a tiny bit) cheaper, less effort, and less time-consuming to just, say, buy an electromatic, or try to find a G512x and mess with that a bit instead; alternatively I could have saved up and bought a double anniversary. But this is almost exactly the guitar I've always pictured, at a price I could afford, and I'm very happy - plus I learnt a few new skills in the process.

Finally just wanted to say a big thanks to everyone who posted on this thread in particular for providing me with the inspiration to get this done. Very happy to finally be able to add mine to the list.
    The full build album is here

Last edited: Nov 12, 2020
    scootyp, Jeremiah_S, David_GS and 5 others like this.
  15. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    That looks awesome - and I bet it sounds that way, too!

16. Flouswa

Flouswa Country Gent

After much great debate and a good discussion with someone who works on a ton of guitars, I decided to take the plunge and have Garnet switched around. Knowing what I know now, I should have bought the version of the 2655 without the Bigsby. I knew that selling a guitar I bought new was going to be a losing proposition on the money end, plus I really really liked the neck on this particular guitar and didn't want to take a chance on getting a newer model that wasn't the same. So...here she is, minus the Bigsby, with a cool G-tailpiece instead!
    upload_2020-11-13_21-16-56.png

The guy who did the work did a fantastic job of filling in the holes/marks left behind from the removed Bigsby. All tuning issues have been completely resolved with this change, I actually let her sit for over a week without playing through an assortment of weather changes (ah, life in the Great Lakes region!) and I was surprised to find every string still in tune when I picked it up to play again! Now I'm tempted to look for some different knobs, think something brighter than the standard transparent black would be cool. We'll see.

Attached Files:

David_GS, DHart and Letsch like this.
  17. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    Looks fantastic! Nice job. Dream guitar.

Letsch likes this.
  18. Jonno69

Jonno69 Electromatic

Feb 18, 2021
    Wales
    Hey advid...that looks beautiful.
    Can you tell me where you got the pickguard from?

19. Ted Keane

Ted Keane Electromatic

Mar 19, 2016
    Ft Collins,Colorado
    Nice.Rockin' the HellParts.They do great truss rod covers for Gretsch.That looks beautiful.

Jobin85 likes this.
  20. Tubes99

Tubes99 Electromatic

Apr 1, 2020
    U.K.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.