Let's see your modded Streamliners

Discussion in 'Streamliner Gretsch Forum' started by section2, Jun 12, 2018.

1. Jobin85

Jobin85 Electromatic

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada

goldengleids likes this.
  2. Jobin85

Jobin85 Electromatic

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    Daaaaaaaaamn!!! That's absolutely gorgeous. If it's 95% what is left to add to it?

goldengleids likes this.
  3. Jobin85

Jobin85 Electromatic

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada

Absolutely stunning guitar. It is jaw droppingly beautiful. If it's 95% done, what left needs to be done? Also, what size of tusq do nut did you need for it?

goldengleids likes this.
  4. goldengleids

goldengleids Electromatic

Feb 11, 2019
    Miami, FL
    Not really add, more like take away. I'm not sure how happy I am with the treble bleed and grease-bucket tone circuit. I might just use a no load tone pot instead. I might change the treble bleed to just a parallel resistor. I love the sound and feel, tho. I'm just experimenting I guess. I don't know if anyone has ever used that tone circuit or treble bleed style on a Gretsch. Its interesting, my guitar never gets too dark. Anyway, the other things to take away - I need to cut the pick-guard to fit around the pickup rings. I'm also planning on sanding the gloss off the neck and round the fret-board. I'm just scared of messing it up. :eek: Anyone else take the gloss off of a neck? I love a satin finish.

Oh and whatever size I bought for the Tusq nut was the wrong size. I had to sand it down to fit. I bought one that was for Epiphone guitars. =/
    I don't recommend all the stuff I did. It is a huge pain in the butt to rewire these kind of guitars especially semi-hollows and especially ones with small f holes. All of the mods I made to the nut, the bridge and the Bigbsy help with tuning stability but not as much a professional set up did. I don't know if anyone else here had as much trouble changing pickups and pots as I did. It's not fun.

ALS57 and Jobin85 like this.
  5. Jobin85

Jobin85 Electromatic

Jan 29, 2019
    Canada
    I know the second I got my streamliner, the first thing I thought was, there is no way I am rewiring this thing. It looks like a pain. I think for me the cosmetic changes are perfect for me

goldengleids likes this.
  6. hollowbody_gus

hollowbody_gus Electromatic

Aug 30, 2016
    San Antonio, TX
    Latest mods aren't exactly groundbreaking. :D
    I replaced the stock truss rod cover with this 8-ball one from Hell Guitars (the switch washer also came from Hell Guitars some time back).
    Also, I've never really been happy with the overall sound of my G2420T.
    I replaced the stock pups with TVJs, a normally sonic upgrade, but the overall sound has sounded very mid-sounding with not enough top end. So I threw a couple of extra bucks at the strings budget, yesterday, & got some Cobalt Ernie Balls, mainly because the PR on the wrapping promised a higher tone (and it was $3 cheaper than the D'Addario NYXLs). Haven't plugged her in to see what the results are. At this point she's definitely more of my rehearsal Gretsch than stage guitar. Last time I used her on stage, giving my Anniversary a break, I went right back to the Anniversary after just ONE song, lol!

streamliner.jpg

ALS57 and Jobin85 like this.
  7. ALS57

ALS57 Gretschie

Jun 17, 2019
    London
    Driving me nuts waiting for my hand wound pickups. Wiring is mostly done and ready to go in 15834787330073485441810612345810.jpg

John Drummond likes this.
  8. Tg-59

Tg-59 Electromatic

Dec 12, 2019
    Vasa Finland
  9. m_brum1905

m_brum1905 Electromatic

Mar 19, 2017
    Manchester UK
    where did you get the scratchplate? Looks brilliant

10. m_brum1905

m_brum1905 Electromatic

Mar 19, 2017
    Manchester UK

That’s an amazing job, is it a standard fit pick guard? I’m struggling to find one in the uk!

11. m_brum1905

m_brum1905 Electromatic

Mar 19, 2017
    Manchester UK

beauties!! Is that a standard fit pick guard?

12. BootlegGreacer

BootlegGreacer Electromatic

Feb 27, 2020
    Sweden
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here's my G2420T, i wanted a clearer, brighter sound so i swapped the pickups for some filtertrons, i also swapped the pickguard and added dice knobs just for the looks. I included a midway photo too.

13. BeerGolfGuitars

BeerGolfGuitars Electromatic

Apr 2, 2020
    Baltimore
    My first Gretsch and loving it. Swapped out to the “G” nickel knobs and put on some nickel Grovers (not that it needed new tuners, I just like to fiddle with things). Also put on a cream toggle switch cap I had in the drawer - big time mod.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. lordhelmet

lordhelmet Electromatic

Apr 5, 2020
    Germany
    Here's my 2016 G2420T. Like a lot of Streamliner-owners I changed the knobs after one year (I really like the fact that they have their place in Gretsch history like other features of the Streamliner, but I just could not get used to the look). I also added HS Filtertrons, a treble bleed circuit for the master volume and locking tuners. IMG_20200401_140143.jpg

Dyna likes this.
  15. m_brum1905

m_brum1905 Electromatic

Mar 19, 2017
    Manchester UK
    Hi Advid, that pickguard finishes the guitar off beautifully. Which one is it?
    Did you have to cut to fit?
    Looks amazing mate. Exactly what I’m looking for!! Please could you email me some details m_brum@icloud.com

cheers from Manchester uk!!

16. Ianuk1972

Ianuk1972 Electromatic

Apr 7, 2020
    Nottingham
    Wow, that is beautiful.

17. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    I haven’t finished all the cosmetic work on my Streamliners, but I recently swapped some pickups in a couple of them, as well as in a 5420, and I thought you modders might be interested in how they sound in case it helps you pick out your pickups.

I posted some recordings to YouTube of two 5420s and two modded 2420s, plus a stock 2420 with BT-2S Broad’trons.

Mind you, these recordings are very home grown—not quite as bad as pulling out your double tape deck in 1986 and recording your first demo for the high school talent show—but close. Still, they will give you a picture of the sound of the different pickups through similar guitars with similar amp settings.

I organized the playlists with one larger one that has all the guitars and pickups, but also with some of the same videos sorted into different playlists by pickup type—in case you are only interested in hearing one specific type of pickup.

The videos are mostly of the same three songs so you can hear each guitar playing nearly the same stuff. I did a full loop of the rhythm and then played lead over it, so feel free to skip ahead if you want to get passed laying of the rhythm loop. I tried playing through different neck positions and pickup settings.

I also added some late night sketches on a stock 2019 G2420 with Broad'tron BT-2Ss so you can hear how they sound by comparison. Another thread was focused o the v1.0 vs. 2.0 Broad’trons, so Inthought someone with an older Streamliner might want to hear these for comparison. These recordings don’t have the same material or setup; they were just recorded on my phone sitting on the piano that I don’t know how to play but aspire to—and especially these—were never really meant to be anything but something to help me remeber some ideas—but there you have it.
    I hope these are helpful! When I finish the cosmetic mods of the Streamliners I will add some pics.

Pickups comparison several guitars:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RtVzhVfkhR9LHQ4Wpj6_nhOR2LjlkKW&feature=share

Gabojo Ray-P P90s on G2420:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RtVzhVfkhSlDZZ7DqsmRgMcr9yrL4Co&feature=share

G5420 with Gabojo Mr.2000FT (Filtertron size Dynasonics):
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RtVzhVfkhQbor2jzXZT-ETK99o-gpiY

G5420 with Gabojo Ray-P P90s:
    https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL2RtVzhVfkhTkYOFleLcIUuBvwNoWK91t

RomanS likes this.
  18. RomanS

RomanS Gretschie

May 26, 2010
    Vienna, Austria
    Thanks!
    Man, thoseMr2000s sound great - definitely my favorites (have a pair of HB-sized ones in a Tele myself).
    First time I heard a clip of the Gabojo P90s - surprisingly open/bright for P90s, like them.
    Classics sounded OK, still better than that Broadtron, but they wouldn't be my first or even second pick amongst these clips...
    But man, those 2000s, love them, such piano-like clarity!

Dyna likes this.
  19. Dyna

Dyna Electromatic

Nov 16, 2016
    Portland Or
    I actually like the sound of the Broad'tron BT-2Ss too. I am exploring new sounds because of them. But I am not looking at having them do the things that my Dynasonics do. Still, with a touch of chorus (a small touch!) which I normally never use, and the right delay, they get more depth and presence, and start to sound a little more like the fullness of the single coils, still with a humbucker quality. They are certainly less bell-like and chimy than the TV Jones, but I really dig their sound.

If anyone on this thread has done some pickup upgrades and has a Broad'tron BT-2S bridge pickup (or the set) sitting in a parts box that you would be willing to part with, I would be interested. Send me a message. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  20. thunderbaas

thunderbaas Electromatic

Sep 22, 2019
    groningen,netherlands
    20191001_190240.jpg 20191005_132941.jpg 20191001_190007.jpg Posted these pictures allready in the "change pick guard" thread But can't resist to show 'm in this thread as well. Only modification is changing the switch for a black one .Black screws around the pick up ring, black arrow knobs (inspired by the new 2420 sunburst look) & removing the pick guard. I just love broadtron pick ups. Maybe a bit off the well known Gretsch rockabilly "sparkle". But oh so nice for jazzy pieces. Especcially with Thomastik strings. My go to guitar for clean playing

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Dyna likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice