Lesser Known (and Euro) Tape Echoes?

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by BohemianLikeMe, Nov 22, 2020.

1. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Y'all will probably scoff at this but i think the Dano Dan Echo sounds good, check one out.

BohemianLikeMe likes this.
  2. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    The big powder-blue one? Yeah, that was a fantastic cheap delay-- unfortunately the switches were terrible. I still have one floating around in the states. Used it for a while in my first indie band in Chicago until I got some vintage Pearl analog delay on eBay for pennies and then I blew that up and switched to a Malekko and and a range of others.

There's a lot of great affordable analog delays these days, and some great vintage units too. Sadly, most of my favorite analog delays (DOD 680, old MXR big green box delay) don't work in the EU without heavy-duty mods. But those are great for copping a Neil Young/broken Echoplex vibe.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    wildeman likes this.
  3. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I had a Watkins Copycat for many years. I liked it`s sound but it was not easy to maintain.
    The flimsy hard-plastic footswitch got broken very soon and the fixed cable of the footswitch was rather short.
    I sold it as an defect item for about EUR 500 some years ago.

4. lathoto

lathoto Gretschie

Apr 23, 2020
    Ohio
    Every once in awhile I am reminded that you must take the plunge ($$$$) for a guitar or a piece of equipment and hold onto it for dear life. That takes me back to the Fulltone Tube Tape Echo. Yes, I bought one early on and should have held onto it. It was built like a tank and sounded so good that most days it was the only effect I used. Yes, it costs more than a Fender Stratocaster but as my rig has improved over the years I wished I would have held onto it. There is slapback and then there is the Tube Tape Echo. End of rant.

https://www.fulltone.com/products/custom-shop-tube-tape-echo

Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
    BohemianLikeMe likes this.
  5. NJDevil

NJDevil Synchromatic

Jul 9, 2014
    Commack, NY
    My favorite! They are hard to find but the prices I have seen on a Binson Echorec 1 or 2 are in the range of $3,800 to $4,500.

I think I maximized my "buying potential" and grabbed a Catalinbread Echorec a few months ago. I love it and the combinations of everything this pedal can do with the emulation of all possibilities of 4 heads is a great journey that I am still finding new things about. My go-to reference as a usage guide is Andy from Reverb (formerly Pro Guitar Shop) and his 2 youtube clips from 7 years ago. Here is the first one:

tartanphantom likes this.
  6. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Every time I think about Binson, the first thing that comes to mind is Roger Waters' pulsing bass on "One of These Days".

jm99 and NJDevil like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.