Learning to respect Boss...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Apr 6, 2021.

1. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    I've always respected Boss pedals.
    For decades they were all you could get in Aust.
    In 1980s/90s they were often the first to innovate and produce a pedal effect no-one else had.
    They're built like a brick and are super reliable/durable.

They were never cheap here in Australia though - often x3 the US price.
    20 years ago I owned about 15 Boss pedals and have played probably everything they've made.
    But today I own zero - sold em all off - no regrets :D

The fact they were all you could get in the 80/90s didn't ever mean they sounded particularly great turned on or off. They were good in their time is all.

I never particularly liked their OD and distortion pedals.
    Plastic sounding, often fizzy and suffered from major tone suck with poor quality buffers.
    Boss still don't do any true bypass pedals.

Boss delays, chorus, time based pedals are their best imo and all of us had the old TU-2.
    But even with their best pedals they've been left behind the past 20 years by many better, cheaper, more innovative competitors :)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2021
    Chet Harrison likes this.
  2. juks

juks Country Gent

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    I have the PN-2 tremolo and that works well. Also DS-1 and BD-2. But on distortion side MXR '78 distortion and Vox Satchurator work better for me.

3. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Some people can never have enough Boss pedals on their board:
    Insane_pedalboard.jpg

4. senojnad

senojnad Synchromatic

Jul 13, 2008
    Lehigh Valley, PA
    Looks like you only have about 90........

5. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Yup, just as tanky as BOSS, imho.

I'm familiar w/ Lone Wolf, but, I don't have any. Their rep is solid from what I've read in the past.

thunder58 likes this.
  6. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    No complaints here.

7. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I don’t understand the “tone suck” people talk about. I literally just plugged into a boss pedal and turned it on and off, then straight to the amp and my guitar sounded the same.

8. MotorCentaur

MotorCentaur Synchromatic

May 11, 2016
    Seattle
    I like boss, and even more so Roland. As others have said built like a tank. I'll never part with my SD-2 mid-drive dirt/crunch. I have experienced tone suck with some of the COSM gear, the power/fuzz wah in particular. I really like the EQ-200 I got recently.

And the old GS-10 is pretty cool for laying down quick tracks, or having a quick jam at your desk. It's surprisingly loud for it's 2x 2" speakers...

[​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I have the Boss ES-5, pedal looper system. It is very well made and works great, although I don't use it any more simply because it does not fit with how I use my pedalboard as I don't have a lot of pedals but do have pedals with many presents (I use the Morningstar MC8 midi controller). It's a great product if anyone is interested in mine.

That said, Boss for pedals is kinda like Fender guitars for me. I have nothing against them, but everyone has one and I'm a little bored of seeing them, so I kinda want something different for myself. And yep, I want the boutique pedals made or designed by specific human beings rather than large corporations. Just like I don't want to hang the same art on my wall that everyone else has.

And the reality is, boutique pedals don't actually cost that much more than Boss pedals.

Boss OD-1x, new is $165. Nocturne Fluid Drive is $199. Analogman Prince of Tone is $148. JRAD overdrives are $200.

Waxhead likes this.
  10. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    A better Boss pedal display than any music store I've been in. If I lived in your country and wanted to try out a Boss pedal I would ring you up and come over....:D.

audept likes this.
  11. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    It's very well documented on many forums and many Boss pedals are infamous for it.
    Depends completely on how many pedals you have in the chain and the length of your cabling.

The longer the cable length the more tone suck poor buffers will cause.
    If you only have 2-3 pedals and a 10 ft cable you won't hear it.

But millions of players have 10 plus pedals and then tone suck can be a big issue.
    I've had tone suck myself on a 10 pedal board with Boss OD-1, OD-2, DS-1, DS-2, BD-2, MT-2 and others.
    Could clearly hear difference when I took the pedal off the board.

Also had many friends with same story.
    I've helped a few diagnose and ID the offending pedal.
    Other makers with poor quality buffers suffer from it also.

When true bypass pedals became popular I just barred Boss completely as I was never sure which of their pedals had tone suck and which didn't. Boss, of course, could have easily resolved the issue by making true bypass pedals - but they never bothered cos they could sit on their decades old reputation with high sales on old gear :)

Chmason85 likes this.
  12. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    That makes more sense now, I only use like two pedals and an average length cable, and actually only a three footer from the pedals to the amp. I could see where the issue is now. I read Setzer likes outrageously long cables, is this what he’s actually aiming for?

13. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    ..... absolutley

14. JeffreyLeePierre

JeffreyLeePierre Country Gent

Pretty handy, easy to grab so that you're sure you'll be able to tune in the right sound whatever comes up at the open mic :D

new6659 and audept like this.
  15. El Marin

El Marin Gretschie

My Boss TU-2 has been with me for ages

My EQ is the best booster

My FBM-1 is the best bassman flavor for my SS amp

My Tremolo is the best too

Chmason85 likes this.
  16. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    The Boss SD1 is still $60 bucks new all day long, and is as classic and solid a performer as anything.
    https://equipboard.com/items/boss-sd-1-super-overdrive--2
    Or in the same vein the DS1
    https://equipboard.com/items/boss-ds-1-distortion-guitar-effects-pedal
    The only drawback is the totally utilitarian look they sport.

Henry likes this.
  17. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Boss pedals don't suck tone. They're buffered, and the buffer is a good one. Too many true bypass pedals will suck tone. Some pedals with poor buffers (Behringer and Danelectro come to mind), can suck tone. Not Boss, or Ibanez for that matter.

18. Waxhead

Waxhead Country Gent

Aug 30, 2014
    Australia
    yeah you'll certainly never have tone suck with 2 pedals.

Long cabling combined with multiple pedals with poor buffers is the whole reason true bypass (and other methods) were developed. I'm sure Setzer would avoid tone suck like the plague and he'll have his own methods of fixing it. Depends on your rig.

My method (which works great) is a good buffered pedal at start (a Wah with good buffer in my case), then all true bypass pedals thereafter. Minimise cable lengths wherever possible and ......... barr all Boss pedals :p

And many Boss pedals are infamous for tone suck.
    I've heard it on many occasions myself and many of my friends have heard it.

There's many 1000's of other players reporting it on many forums over past 20 years.
    There's been 1000's of forum threads on the best methods of fixing it.
    Keeley, and others, have made a business from fixing/upgrading old Boss pedals.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
  19. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Ricochet likes this.
  20. NervousJohn

NervousJohn Electromatic

May 8, 2017
    U.K.
    Only pedal I cannot manage without is my TU-3 tuner. Reliable and accurate with a good buffer it sits at the front of the pedalboard and doubles as a handy mute.

What “tone suck” is, is really badly managed cable capacitance. You need your lower impedance guitar feeding a higher impedance buffer. This reduces the low pass filter effect of the cable (because physics). Similarly a buffer can have much lower output impedances than a guitar so you can feed your high impedance input on your amp with a much longer (higher capacitance) cable.

see also
    https://thejhsshow.com/articles/top-6-pedal-myths

Rmccamey, Maxadur and Chmason85 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.