Learning to respect Boss...

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by stevo, Apr 6, 2021.

1. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    For the longest time, I had an arm's length attitude about Boss pedals. Though I could always get something better for the same price or just a little more.

But I'm looking at my collection and two of my most used pedals are Boss - DM-2w and OD-3. And after a long period of buying and selling chorus pedals, I still own and use two Boss Chorus pedals - CE-2b and CH1.

I still go for great pedals, but I've learned to respect Boss pedals. I really should always have respected them. I've never had trouble with their footswitches, the OD-3 is a unique overdrive that I really love and I don't think I'll ever get rid of the Chorus pedals. And there is something really magical about that DM-2w that I didn't expect. The older Boss pedals could used upgraded buffers and some tweaks, but none of mine have been nor will be modded.

What are your favorite Boss pedals? I'm betting that some of you have a ton of Boss pedals.

Rob Williams, Merc and thunder58 like this.
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Boss pedals are great- they are Uber-reliable, the footswitches are very positive (unlike for example Ibanez- always had issues stepping on it hard enough to know for sure if it was on or not), their tuner remains an industry standard for live boards. I don't have many Boss pedals... but it's only because I took a deep dive into boutique world years ago. BUT: I can tell you this: I'm so tired of boutique stuff (and other brands, like EHX and TC) giving me ISSUES over time, that the next tuner, tremolo, and several other pedals I buy will be BOSS (or Dunlop/MXR). You buy them, plug them in, and stop worrying about them.

I prefer Ibanez and Maxon analog delays, but Boss rules for pretty much everything else.

Good enough for prince!

Prince_Pedalboard_01.jpg

Merc, Runamok, stevo and 1 other person like this.
  3. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Boss / Roland ....great products IMO . I've often said ..." when it comes to a green board amp , go with Roland , it's what they do "
    Same goes for Boss Pedals ...." it's what they do "

Boss / Roland as we all know go hand in hand , same company ... same quality ;)

4. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    My old board ....time to take another look ......

IMG_0086.JPG

5. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    They’re so vanilla-y standard in their function and almost boringly dependable. Best of all they are available in the most obscure corners of the world.

I think the Boss DM2 was the first pedal I ever bought and stupidly sold it to a friend so I had to look for one again. I still have an SD1, GE7, PQ3b, PQ4, and LM2. And even after a few decades there is still nothing that completely blows them away at their respective price points.

new6659, stevo, ruger9 and 1 other person like this.
  6. Highroller

Highroller Country Gent

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    I've still got one of those molded plastic "pedal boards" from back in the '90s too, except mine was for DOD pedals. I used to gig with it on a regular basis. Looked like this ...

[​IMG]

Dumb thing worked pretty well actually. I never had any problems with it.

Boss pedals are A-OK in my book. I've got a few, some purchased fairly recently.

7. rake_ether

rake_ether Gretschie

Aug 24, 2019
    Athens, GA USA
    I always gravitated to boutique pedals but had a need to add a simple looper and reviewers always recommend the Boss RC-1 so I purchased one a couple of weeks ago. Although I haven't put it through its paces yet I'm impressed with the build quality. It's solid as can be.

stevo likes this.
  8. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I also think the Waza stuff has been getting good reviews. JHS Josh thinks they have better sound than their originals due to upgraded input buffers.

I remember noticing several rig rundowns of big name players having a lot of Boss. They don't like touring with things that can't be easily replaced. But I hear ya on the boutique stuff having issues. I have never had a Boss pedal fail and I've owned more than the four. But I've had several Boutique pedals give me pot and switch issues. My Analogman Chorus isn't always reliable, so I usually leave it at home when gigging and take my Boss instead.

Merc and ruger9 like this.
  9. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    Somebody loves distortion!

thunder58 likes this.
  10. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I had a couple DOD pedals back in the day (late 80's)... some kind of distortion, I'm sure. Was never a fan of those footswtiches either. I also had a Digitech Digiverb, that thing rocked.

11. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Only 2 I've ever needed, both are 15+ years old. I paid ~$100 for the Boss, (discontinued, going for ~$200 on Reverb), & I think ~$30 for the Donner.

IMG-20210406-01189.jpg IMG-20210406-01191.jpg

Les Pedals, new6659, Archtops and 2 others like this.
  12. Merc

Merc Friend of Fred

May 6, 2017
    Florida
    I really view Boss as setting the standard of expectations for pedals (quality, durability, etc). They likely get overlooked sometimes because they’re so big. And by nature I feel many players today want something more unique. Sort of like satisfaction of having a secret ingredient. That being said, Boss today goes to great lengths for great sound and to keep the noise down. Check out the crazy suspension in this chamber for testing around 6:30 minutes in.

Attached Files:

stevo and ruger9 like this.
  13. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    I have a lot of Boss and Roland gear but I’ve only owned one Boss compact pedal, the LS-2, which is very useful. I’ve used it to fix the tone-suck of a wah, switching amps, as a mixer, etc... I’m going to try using it to add effects to a delay loop.

Of the other gear I have, the VF-1 is very dated, difficult to navigate, has not great distortions or reverbs and is only 44.1khz, but it has unique abilities.

My most fun Boss experiment was using Roland DP-10 damper pedal as a spring-loaded expression pedal. A bit hard to master, and works better in some applications if you reverse the wiring.

If I won a lottery I would try to assemble a complete Boss collection.

14. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Donner's are darn good pedals ....BTW ....are you familiar or use Lone Wolf Pedals ?

Jerzey Bob likes this.
  15. AZBrahma

AZBrahma Gretschie

Dec 18, 2020
    Arizona
    A lot of people have swung to the boutique side of the house with the pedal resurgence going on. But it always pays to remember some Boss pedals were the archetypes that sprouted many of the boutiques in the first place.

These days I build my own effects (except analog delay, too complicated, use the incredible Seymour Duncan Vapor Trail for that). Some of them are boss-based, like my chorus - it's an original-spec CE-2 but with better components and true bypass. I also built a Slow Gear clone, and a modified FA-1 clone. They are great circuits and some of their designs really can't be beat.

16. thunder58

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    lil' bit ;) although TrueTone Jekyll & Hyde is about the best I've ever heard ( Overdrive and Distortion in 1 pedal )

stevo likes this.
  17. Rob Williams

Rob Williams Country Gent

Jul 5, 2014
    SE QLD
    I love Boss pedals. They're like Yamaha and Toyota - it just does what it says on the box, without complaint. Sure, they're not hand crafted in a vineyard by virgins using only single-source-ethically-farmed-whatever, but that's what's great about them. I own Boss pedals from the 80's that still operate without complaint. Sometimes I think people who go boutique do it to be cool... I'm not cool; I'm reliable.

manunk, ruger9, new6659 and 5 others like this.
  18. Chmason85

Chmason85 Synchromatic

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I love boss pedals, they cannot be beat, especially if you care about playing and not just showing off some boutique pedalboard. Nobody in the crowd can tell nor do they care if you’re using a boss overdrive or a klon centaur. Let’s also not forget that the magic of Brian Setzer’s tone, aside from his skill, is the Roland space echo.

stevo likes this.
  19. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    My experience with Boss pedals begun with the OD1 as early as 1982. Although I always considered them to be middle-of - the-road I always felt that they are nearly indestructible and super-relyable.
    The Roland GP8 rack-mount served me very well during the "refrigerator-rack-size-times" and it mostly consisted of analogue Boss pedals.
    There is somthing very convincing about the over-all construction that holds their place in time.

I have only one Boss pedal left in my drawer for occasional use: The -quite noisy- PS harmonizer pedal that I sometimes use for the shivaree-ray-gun-effects in a show.
    Totally cool.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2021
    Waxhead likes this.
  20. stevo

stevo Friend of Fred

May 1, 2012
    Atlanta
    I just checked them out after seeing your post. Pretty cool stuff.

Jerzey Bob and thunder58 like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.