Kurt’s Martin just broke all the records

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by mbkri, Jun 21, 2020.

1. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    BorderRadio and pmac11 like this.
  2. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Big bucks that's for sure

3. Yukimajo

Yukimajo Gretschie

Nov 4, 2018
    Exeter UK
    There goes another guitar to a glass case, never to be played again, just used as some sort of talisman to swell their ego and impress no-one. Who is going to be impressed that they spent that sort of money on a guitar? I think the price for some signature guitars is obscene, but this eclipses all of that. It makes me sad really.

drmilktruck likes this.
  4. BohemianLikeMe

BohemianLikeMe Gretschie

Apr 18, 2020
    Prague, CZ
    Hot take alert: Unplugged was a great album with good performances and song choices, but man, the guitar tones on that album are crap, and not in the interesting harsh way that In Utero was.

Scott and pmac11 like this.
  5. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Many of those guitars are in glass cases in Indianapolis. Jim Irsay has spent many millions of dollars on "famous" guitars. When you inherit a NFL football team and get a free stadium, you've got a few extra bucks laying around to spend on these kind of things.

Jeff67, drmilktruck and pmac11 like this.
  6. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Its one beatup guitar in a glass case. There are millions of other guitars out there, all more affordable and most would be better. It's not like this is the last guitar on earth or the last source of music.

Kurt Cobain made music without a $6MM guitar, so can everyone else.

Nothing to waste a good worry about.

gtttrrr, new6659 and Bertotti like this.
  7. Stefan87

Stefan87 Synchromatic

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Wow that is a heap of money for a guitar that was played by someone, it is crazy how much someone will pay for something someone famous owned.

Jimmy Shine's 1934 ford pick up comes to mind here, that pick up was cool but was only a cab, bed, frame and an engine so really 3/4 of a car that anyone could have built and he sold it for an absurd amount of money, I guess when you have heaps of dollars you have to spend them on something.

I personally don't have an issue with someone putting a guitar behind a glass case on display, yeah guitars were made to be played and this one was, I would be more upset if I paid $6m for something I used and broke or left it somewhere while taking it to my mates house for a casual jam.

Tadhg likes this.
  8. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa cruz
    Dang, I’m shopping for a D-18. I missed out his guitar. I guess I will just have to find another used D-18. I wonder if I can find one for a bit less...:cool:

Scott, Jeff67 and drmilktruck like this.
  9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    Wow, that is amazing. I wonder what the Eric Clapton MTV unplugged guitar will sell for in the future.

Reverb has an article on their most expensive guitars sold on their platform in 2019.

https://reverb.com/news/gallery-the-most-expensive-guitars-to-sell-on-reverb-this-year

top of the list sold for like $320,000:
    "We're delighted to be offering for sale without doubt one of the most stunning, original '59 Les Paul Standard's ever made. Widely known as the Richrath Burst, 9 0614 was formerly owned by Gary Richrath of US band REO Speedwagon."

Screen Shot 2020-06-21 at 2.41.20 PM.png

I still have a mental block at spending more on a guitar than my first car, like $1500 back in the day,
    but that one is way more than my first house!

At least Martin continues to make reasonably priced affordable guitars for the masses who can't afford these museum prices.

(oh wait, never mind,
    I had you going there for a minute, though, right?)

drmilktruck likes this.
  10. DennisC

DennisC Synchromatic

May 11, 2017
    Germany
    According to Hans Rosling, who is ... was ... interesting anyway, the number of playable guitars per person is growing with no end in sight.

The buyer, as I read somewhere, wants to tour with an exhibition of Nirvana-stuff, and is said to use part of his money to help musicians in need in those times ... won't judge therefore, but the amount is quite stunning...

And ... as I was born in 1982, I may confirm that Nirvana brought a lot of people of my age (likely more slightly older ones than younger ones - Nirvana had come to my knowledge before he killed himself, but not for a long time before ... I was 11 then) into making music, playing guitar, ... therefore at least they deserve credit - and I have a heart for the beat-up, wrecked and wasted ... hm, well, and In Utero really is a great album. I never got why people said Nevermind was better. It wasn't.

11. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    It's no better or worse than similar guitars. I'd call it an example of rich people overpaying. But what do I know?

Scott and calebaaron666 like this.
  12. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    And what do I know?
    But I'm going to go out on a limb here and proclaim that I'll never spend that kind of money on any guitar! ;)

Jeff67, new6659, drmilktruck and 2 others like this.
  13. capnhiho

capnhiho Synchromatic

Feb 16, 2013
    California
    And you guys can hold me to that statement!!

drmilktruck likes this.
  14. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    I do not even consider this guy to be a guitarist. Sorry for hurting anyones feelings here. A pop icon for sure..
    Maybe Madonna`s pyramid Gaultier bra could fetch the same ammount on an auction.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2020
    Scott likes this.
  15. Randy99CL

Randy99CL Synchromatic

Feb 17, 2020
    Albuquerque
    Yeah, I have a lot of hobbies and would find it really hard to spend that much on a guitar.
    We're talking high-end original Cobra, Ford GT, Ferrari, Lambo money. Actually, a few really special cars. And houses. And more stuff than I can imagine, LOL. But how many of us are actually at that financial level?

I get it; one-of-a-kind guitar because it was played on TV by a famous musician no longer with us. Put it behind glass and don't touch it. But that's not what the Martin wants, it wants the human touch that releases those beautiful tones it's holding inside.

16. mbkri

mbkri Country Gent

Sep 22, 2012
    Chicago
    I think we are talking about a piece of Rock history, an artifact whose provenance makes it of great cultural worth. Obviously it is a stupid amount of money to pay for a guitar if you wAnt to sit around The campfire and play kumbya, and obviously there are better sounding guitars out there, and none of them are going to cost that much. But its the significance of the moment, the artist, the album, the larger than life story of the band’s rise and sudden decline, the death of an idol etc.
    It is evidence of a vast amount of wealth in private hands but sometimes it is used for the benefit of many. Perhaps the travelling exhibition WILL raise funds for musicians or the arts. I cant imagine anyone liking Cobain THAT much and not having some sympathy for Artists in need of some financial encouragement.
    I have no problem with someone spending that much on a historical artifact. What i think about people having that much disposable income is dangerously close to a political thread and has no place on this forum.

17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Maybe guitars are like humans. Some are meant to smolder for a long time, some are meant to burn brightly but briefly.

SAguitar likes this.
  18. Ricochet

Ricochet I Bleed Orange

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I don't give a hoot how anyone spends their money on items I don't care about. I do realise it's not just a guitar, it symbolises much more.
    If they auction off the American flag raised at Iwo Jima or the Reichstag(both WW2 for you youngsters) noone is gonna say well it's just 3 dollars worth of cotton...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2020
    wabash slim, Jeff67, mbkri and 2 others like this.
  19. Teledriver

Teledriver Gretschie

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    Wonder what Dave Grohl says about that dollar amount?
    Curt's "Unplugged" guitar always sound like tin to me, an issue with a pup on an acoustic. Shoulda miked it.
    Pat Smear's guitar sounds so much better than Curt's on this stuff. No offense to Nirvana fans, but I always consider Curt (and he would too??) a songwriter, then a singer, then a guitar player. This kind of $$ for his guitar is outrageous. If part of that sale is going to charity then I'm all for it. Hope it is!!

20. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    If someone has enough money to pee away on toys that they want, all the power to them.

His money, his reason for wanting it, and his business.

I'll be the last to judge someone for spending money on something that they want.

Bet he's not financing it! Lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.