Just ordered my 5420t!

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Nathan Bryant, Feb 1, 2015.

1. Nathan Bryant

Nathan Bryant Electromatic

Feb 1, 2015
    Fresno
    Hey everyone! Just ordered my Gretsch 5420t at Guitar Center today. Cant wait to get my hands on it this week. I went with the all white with gold hardware :D. Any advice for new electromatic owners? I am planning on having GC set it up for me. I will be playing it through a fulltone full drive, a Boss DD 20, and a fender Hot rod deluxe amp. Im planning on using the guitar to lead worship at my church. I would appreciate any input!

-Nate

2. stserif

stserif Electromatic

Nov 6, 2014
    South Carolina
    I have the new 5420 in Aspen Green. I just adjusted the truss rod to get rid of some fret buzz and all is well. However I plan to replace the nut and bridge in the future to get rid of some slight binding and for added sustain.

It's a great guitar with a good feel. Congrats.

3. Nathan Bryant

Feb 1, 2015
    Fresno
    Aspen Green is also so cool! Can't really go wrong with any of the colors. Thanks for the input. From what I've read a compton bridge makes a big difference as well as an upgraded nut of either brass or graphite.

4. rockape

rockape Gretschie

Aug 12, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Congrats on your new white 5420!
    You'll love it!

I have one myself, and had also planned to get a Compton bridge and a brass nut for it, however, I am a bit stumped on the bridge, because the aluminium version I am after, does not come with a gold finish (C'mon Wayne C, give us a gold anodised version!?), so it will probably look a bit odd. The copper or even brass versions are a better match, visually, but I need a brighter sound than they can provide.

Here's mine:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:)

5. blc45

blc45 Country Gent

Aug 23, 2011
    nc
    Hi, I have the 5420 in Aspen green. Its a fantastic guitar. I would have to take it to a highly experienced guitar tech to find anything wrong with it. I certainly can't! It played great right out of the box!

6. rockape

rockape Gretschie

Aug 12, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    Yes, mine was also great out of the box, but I'm just up for a bit of experimentation

There is usually no NEED to change anything on these guitars.

7. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Hi Nate and welcome . I always recommend a jack plate on any hollow body . Best of luck and enjoy

8. brownie

brownie Country Gent

Oct 29, 2013
    Spain
    Hi Nathan,
    I also have a 5420T in aspen green. I agree with blc45, wouldn't change anything.
    Will post a song feauturing it shortly.
    Cheers, Brownie

9. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    It seems as if the quality of setup by Guitar Center varies greatly, so bear that in mind when you get it. I would feel better having them skip that part and take it to a trusted tech.

10. Adl842

Adl842 Gretschie

Apr 26, 2014
    Illinois
    I bought my 5420 at Guitar Center also and from my experience I'd skip having them do the setup if you have anyone else local that can do it.

11. Armygirl

Armygirl Country Gent

Mar 14, 2014
    Edinburgh
    Yayyy. Well done!

12. jacodiego

jacodiego Gretschie

Mar 24, 2011
    california
    Congratulations on the new guitar!

Unless Gretsch has changed this element of the guitar's construction, there is one issue. The angle of the neck is a little steep and the guitar requires a slight mod in order to get the bridge pickup to the optimum height. Obviously, the guitar will function as from the factory, but the bridge pickup will have more power and fuller tone if it is raised closer to the strings than factory specs allow.

Luckily, it is a cheap and easy mod and has been covered in this forum before. Here's the link:
    http://www.gretsch-talk.com/forum/e...82123-54xx-51xx-pickup-height-adjustment.html

Again congratulations, you're going to be very happy.

13. Nathan Bryant

Feb 1, 2015
    Fresno
    Thanks for the replies and advice guys. I will take the guitar home without getting it set up at GC and if a problem arises then i will try to deal with it myself (such as fret buzz or intonation) or take it to a better tech. Im slowly learning that the guys at Guitar Center aren't the best experts around.

14. rockape

rockape Gretschie

Aug 12, 2009
    Dorset, UK
    I have a TV Jones FSR 5420, and the string to pickup pole gap is very close to that of my white 5420 (close enough IMO), so maybe that issue has been fixed?
    Both have the plastic bezels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. englishman

englishman Gretschified

Apr 5, 2014
    Detroit
    Some GCs have perfectly competent techs, it's a bit of a roll of the dice.

16. Nathan Bryant

Feb 1, 2015
    Fresno
    Some concerns i have with the guitar are the potential feedback issues and the floating bridge. I plan on running overdrive with this guitar. With it being a hollow body will it feedback to much? Or is it a manageable thing. With the floating bridge does it stay in place pretty well? It freaks me out to see such a vital piece of the guitar be able to move around so easily.

17. Lithsp

Lithsp Electromatic

Nov 24, 2014
    STRAYA!!!!
    Does yours definitely have a floating bridge?
    Early G5420T's did, but now they don't.
    I ordered mine very late last year, and it doesn't have a floating bridge (thankfully).

Feedback only happens for me when I want it to happen - i.e - I place the guitar in a spot where it will feedback, deliberately.
    I haven't had any trouble with it feeding back out of nowhere at all.

The pickups on mine were in good spots stock.. they were balanced.. I wouldn't want the bridge pickup totally outpowering the neck - I like them to be same volume when switched over.. some people might not, so perhaps raising the bridge pickup is a good idea for some.

Hopefully you like yours - I love mine.

18. stserif

stserif Electromatic

Nov 6, 2014
    South Carolina
    I don't think you should worry prematurely. Wait and see how you like it and just send it back if you don't. The feedback can be an issue, however. I don't care for much distortion and such so it's not a problem for me. I've heard about people stuffing their f holes with foam or cloths or other such material in order to better manage feedback issues.

19. stserif

stserif Electromatic

Nov 6, 2014
    South Carolina
    Also, I've seen plenty of demos on youtube where they have been played with some pretty impressive high gain/distortion. Perhaps it has a lot to do with the amp? I have a pretty cheap vox valvetronix so maybe that's why I can't.

20. Nathan Bryant

Feb 1, 2015
    Fresno
    this is one of the videos that really sold me on the guitar. i love the clean spanky tone of it ,but that bright overdrive tone he gets with the fulltone full drive is what I'm hoping for.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S61TgAu0DRM"]Worship Guitar 101 - Gear - YouTube[/ame]

sounds great to me! I'm going to be running a very similar set up. just wanted to voice my concerns.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.