Just got a new G5222

Discussion in 'Electromatic Gretsch Forum' started by Todd123, May 15, 2021.

1. Todd123

Todd123 Electromatic

May 15, 2021
    WV
    Went out looking for a simple, affordable, small, light guitar just to mess around with. Went in the store, saw it, played it a couple of minutes and bought it. Didn't even look at anything else. I resolved myself not to stress out over trying to factor in every detail and price and what I want/need across 10 guitars. I just saw this guitar, it looked nice, felt good in the hands, sold.

Got home, tuned a couple strings and played for a couple hours. I have to say I am so far quite happy with it. I keep looking at how well it is fitted and finished and how pleasing the overall look is. And it sounds good.

Will probably just take it to my local guy for a setup (action is too high) and check the relief, frets and whatever but so far a really good first impression.

And OK, so its made in China and its lower end than the pro line stuff, but talk about getting a a perfectly serviceable piece of gear for not that much money, there is not much not to like here.

Well, OK, there are some things I don't like. That tear drop pick guard just does not look like it belongs on a Gretsch. Maybe there is an aftermarket part that has the same shape as the typical Gretsch pick guard that is sized for the jet. The finish on the neck is gloss. I prefer the satin finish. It just seems more tacitly pleasing. Not quite sure about the tuners yet. A couple of times they seemed a little vague, but functional.

All in all, its been a pleasant experience so far and I seem to have gotten my moneys worth and then some. Here she is:

[​IMG]

2. Todd123

Todd123 Electromatic

May 15, 2021
    WV
    Wait, here she is:

Attached Files:

3. LivingMyDream

LivingMyDream Friend of Fred

Congrats on the new Double Jet, Todd!

There's just something about that natural finish that screams "classic" for me.

4. Todd123

Todd123 Electromatic

May 15, 2021
    WV
    Thanks man. They had like 4 of these in different colors at the store and the natural was not the one that popped out at me at first, kept looking at the other 3. But for some reason, my eyes kept getting draw to the natural and it just grew on me. Somehow not as flashy as the others but a more subdued and pleasing vibe. I am just so glad they went with the chrome hardware instead of the gold.

GlenP likes this.
  5. JC higgy

JC higgy Gretschified

Jun 6, 2008
    Belfast Norn Iron
    Welcome to GT Todd!

Congrats on the new geet.

6. juks

juks Gretschie

Nov 26, 2020
    Fremont, California
    Gongrats, I love that color.

7. Lookeeng Good.

8. new6659

new6659 Country Gent

Welcome, Todd - that's a great guitar!

9. Outlaw

Outlaw Country Gent

Jul 13, 2011
    UK
    Nice guitar!
    As for the pickguard, that is the correct shape, maybe think about one that is a different colour.

10. Jeff67

Jeff67 Country Gent

Nov 3, 2019
    Crockett, Texas
  11. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    Welcome to the forum, Todd!
    welcome mat 121.jpg

12. Dana Rudd

Dana Rudd Country Gent

Nov 26, 2019
    Greybull, WY
    Hello Todd, welcome to Gretsch-Talk and the world of Gretsch. Fine looking guitar you picked up, enjoy it.

13. Back in Black

Back in Black Synchromatic

Jun 22, 2020
    Ontario Canada
    Welcome Todd,

All of a sudden, this little Double Jet seems to have taken off in sales.

Hope you bought a correct Jet case as well.

Mine was just like yours, for about five minutes, when I brought it home last June. I chipped away for about a month, and found this hiding underneath.

Often wonder what it would have sounded like in its original state. Rattles the windows now!

It's the one on the left.

Best,

BIB.

DSCF1320.JPG DSCF1321.JPG

Craig Encinitas likes this.
  14. Todd123

Todd123 Electromatic

May 15, 2021
    WV
    Why only 3 PUPS? Come on man, if you are going to mod it, do it right.:)

Oh, wait, I see what you did. You got a 5222 and made it a MY for about 2K less. Nice work.

BTW, can anybody explain to me what you are getting for roughly 2K more on a Pro vs an Electromatic? I mean really, 2K! I just don't get it.

Anyway, I ain't done jack to mine. But one reason I got the low end model is because I will mod it and do my own work on it in the future. Wont worry too much about a 500 guitar. Only thing I have in mind for now is putting a flat/satin finish on the neck and maybe some locking tuners. The satin seems so much better for necks.

capnhiho likes this.
  15. Stefan87

Stefan87 Country Gent

May 20, 2019
    Brisbane, Australia
    Welcome to the forum Todd and congrats on the new guitar, agree that the natural/maple finish guitars just grab the eye, enjoy.

As for the Proline vs Electro, the electros are fantastic bang for buck guitars and are very serviceable, I have both and at a glance you would struggle to tell them apart next to each other, but there is a difference in them and a noticeable one at that, whether it is worth the extra $2000.00 is completely up to the individual to me yes it is but I would go a barely used proline for less money over a new one.

And yes I agree on the satin necks, nothing like them.

16. WalATX

WalATX Electromatic

May 3, 2021
    Illinois
    I got a 5220, which I think is the single-cut cousin of the 5222. I also felt the tuners were a weak point, as have several others here lately. No shame in getting some tuners; I got Grover 305, but have also heard 406 (locking) and Gotoh SG381 are drop-in. These are great-sounding guitars though! Enjoy.

17. Todd123

Todd123 Electromatic

May 15, 2021
    WV
    Yeah, the tuners seem a little subpar maybe, but they function. And I haven't played the thing enough to really come to a conclusion. And I dont know if tuners breaking in after some use is a possibility either. I would say they are good enough for now. '

That gloss finish on the neck however is bugging me a little. I have a Charvel Dk that has a satin neck and that feels so much better when playing. So I am going to see if I can put a satin finish on the Gretsch neck. I guess I will just go out and get some clear satin finish spray can and give it a try.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.