Just curious ... anyone ever ran a 2nd clean boost with the Brain?

Snakum

Gretschie
Dec 16, 2012
North Carolina
Just thinking out loud while bored at the station ...

Anyone run another clean boost into a Brain? Something like Xotic Super Clean Boost? Or even another Brain?

How was it?

Singing clean or mush?

How was the noise?

Thinking about trying this. Or maybe start testing various compressors into the Brain.

Snakum

Gretschie
Dec 16, 2012
North Carolina
I'm trying to figure out how to get a singing sustain with dynamic punch while still relatively clean, at a sane volume.

I've used PV Classic 30s and 50s for years and years and love them for their neutral tone (great with pedals) and other-worldly reliability. Currently back to an old USA C30. But turning these little things up to the point the clean channel starts to sing (and this is where the Atomic Brain is absolute MAGIC!) puts you at 'waking the dead in the next county' loud. I mean it is amazing how loud this little thing gets.

So to get the singing, punchy, sustaining clean tone at reasonable volumes I'm starting with stacked clean boosts, then will try compressors (my CS3 ain't the one :(), test out attenuators (but will have to rig up a fan over the chassis). and as a last resort might have the amps tube sockets wired in series so I can pull two of the JJ EL84s. You can do this on the C50 already and it sounds awesome when cranked.

Snakum

Gretschie
Dec 16, 2012
North Carolina
I looked at several FA-1 Fet clones. Wish I could afford the real thing from Boss or a high end clone.

But was just looking at my now-tiny board and I'll only have room for a micro, if I leave enough room for my size 12s to hit the ABBY switch. Looks like an Xotic Super Clean or Sweet Clean is in the cards. When I started playing again I swore off big pedal boards. I used to have a setup with four different ODs/amp types as well as seperate chorus (I use the one in my DD7 now), tremolo, Spark Boost Mini, auto wah, etc. It was getting stupid. Nowadays ... if it don't fit on my little nano board I don't need it. :D

20220123_203625.jpg

I did finally get my compressor to play nice with everything and have worked out the volume levels across all three guitars. So I got that going for me. :(

Latest posts