Just bought a Gretsch rocking bar bridge

Discussion in 'Technical Side of Things' started by Chmason85, May 29, 2020.

1. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    There's a "flat spot" on the back of the bridge on each side that rests against the thumb wheels.

sgarnett likes this.
  2. GOOBALL JEFF

GOOBALL JEFF Gretschie

Oct 1, 2019
    london
    that red sparkle...speechless...

3. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Did you measured the radius to confirm ? o_O

Yes - Well... Once re-radiused in a vise :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And it is still in place on my G6119LH, which has a measured radius at 10" :

[​IMG]

But it's me, OK ? :D

A+!

4. Scott

Scott Country Gent

Jun 27, 2008
    Winston-Salem, NC
    Love the standard bar bridge. It's what's on most of my Gretsches, and I really see no reason to use anything else.

5. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    My 2010 6120-1959LTV came with the Gretsch RBB. When I measured it with StewMac radius gauges it was 20" radius, so I went ahead and replaced it with a Tru-Arc 12" radius.
    When I bought my 6134FSR-LTD in 2015 the Gretsch RBB measured closer to 14" radius, so I kept it on the guitar. Obviously there was a change in the manufacturing process in the 5 years between the two guitars.

6. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    Great idea but with my luck I'd break it and scratch off the gold.
    It's a shame that Gretsch sends out a $4000 guitar with a mis-match bridge/neck radius. I like the tone of the bar bridge but the guitar would play better and have less rattle in the middle strings if it were matched correctly. You would think that after years of us guys bitching they would have addressed the issue and make a replacement available. I'm not holding my breath.

7. audept

audept Senior Gretsch-Talker

Dec 1, 2010
    Sydney, Australia
    It's given rise to both Tru-Arc and Compton boutique bar bridges with correct radius for both 12" and 9.5" radius fretboards.

8. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, it's really not that difficult to do, @Gretschtim1 - given you have the adequate tools, of course : a large powerful vise, metal and wood shims and radius gauges for checking, etc... You go gently and slowly, and the rest is just common sense. ;)

A+!

9. stiv

stiv Country Gent

Sep 12, 2014
    Florence, Italy
    I’ve been lucky enough to find a gold rocking bar bridge with the same radius of my ‘89 6120 and even the same kind of ageing.
    Best thing I did to my Gretsch tone, more than any pickup switch I ever tried. It also fixed all the rattlings and the problems (the high E string was sliding away from the saddle if you picked it too hard, not to mention the fact that now I could use the Bigsby as much as I want and the guitar stays in tune) of that stock roller bridge.
    I pinned the wooden base and never had a problem ever since.

Chmason85 and mbkri like this.
  10. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    The rocking bar re-centers on its’ own, but the bigsby rocking bridge usually just flops to one side

sgarnett likes this.
  11. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    Mine is pinned, the intonation is fine. Maybe not 100% perfect but it’s good enough for rock and roll as they say...

davenumber2 likes this.
  12. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    My favorite "pinning" method.

20200116_210250.jpg

Chmason85 likes this.
  13. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    If I had to go with a Gretsch bridge on my Gretsch it would be the rocking bar.

Chmason85 likes this.
  14. Chmason85

Chmason85 Gretschie

May 1, 2018
    Philadelphia
    I’m a Melita fan but it just didn’t work as well on my 53 VS jet as it did on my 57 silver jet; same exact bridge on both guitars but the 53 is working better with a rocking bar whereas the silver jet was better with a Melita o_O

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.