Just a Curious Question

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by DougWheeler74, Sep 18, 2021.

1. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Please enlighten me on this. I often see pedal for sale that makes a special note that the original box is included. Why? The box offers no value to the pedal so why mention it or for that matter why save it?

2. bluenote23

bluenote23 Country Gent

Oct 17, 2009
    Montreal, Canada
    It means that when you sell it on, if it is still in really good shape, it will almost look like new. Things like this are only important when you are trying to sell stuff.

drmilktruck likes this.
  3. Glaw

Glaw Gretschie

Aug 30, 2017
    ca.
    It makes it sound newer and in better shape. I take such care of it I even still have the box it came it.

Archtops likes this.
  4. NowEarThis

NowEarThis Gretschie

Jun 23, 2021
    Northern Rivers NSW Australia
    And shipping an item in it’s original box adds a bit of insurance it’ll arrive in good nick (usually!)

drmilktruck and Archtops like this.
  5. radd

radd Country Gent

Dec 27, 2017
    Santa Cruz
    The same reason I sell guitars with all the paperwork and hang tags. It demonstrates a certain level of attention to detail and care.

EB68F23E-88BB-4F2E-9CFF-9B8D7E7A3958.jpeg

6. Hammerhands

Hammerhands Country Gent

Aug 26, 2011
    Winnipeg
    In really antique items a box might be worth more than the item itself.

new6659 and Archtops like this.
  7. drmilktruck

drmilktruck I Bleed Orange

May 17, 2009
    Plymouth, MN
    Suggests that the seller is a considerate careful type who saves the box and the original case candy. Less likely to have thrown against the wall in drunken frustration.

8. G5422T

G5422T Country Gent

May 24, 2012
    usa
    I've seen original boxes only for sale, and bring some crazy to me money.

Guess that's how the world is for some folks.

Myself, when selling, I'll list if it has the original box and paperwork or not, and if I'm the original owner.

Archtops likes this.
  9. GlenP

GlenP Country Gent

Jul 23, 2019
    WA
    I got a pedal that came in a bubble wrap envelope that was signed by the builder: "Thanks, Glen! - Dave Barber" I did not keep the bubble wrap envelope, well I did actually keep it for a while, but tossed it in the trash after cleaning house eventually. He had already signed the inside of the pedal door. And I still have the box! I guess passing that on when you re-sell is just a way to share that moment of the initial un-boxing, you know?

\ | /
    HE HAS
    THE BOX!
    / | \

Ashley1983, MrWookiee and Archtops like this.
  10. dmunson

dmunson Gretschie

Dec 19, 2015
    Charlotte, NC
    It means that the seller is a fan of the Antiques Roadshow.

11. DougWheeler74

DougWheeler74 Synchromatic

Jul 10, 2019
    NE Wisconsin, US
    Thanks. I hear what you all are saying and if it was something special I would probably save the box but for a $99 Boss or similar, I don't think it makes much difference. But I could be wrong.

GlenP and G5422T like this.
  12. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    I was also thinking he has not seen the JHS utube channel;)

Anyway, why is a printing Babe Ruth baseball card worth more than a creased one? You can still see the picture and read the stats. For that matter, why would that creased one be worth more than a perfect digital copy that you can print out.

The simple answer is someone out there will pay more for it. Same as what is defined as vintage. It's just something that someone will pay more for.

Archtops likes this.
  13. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    And American Pickers, too. Toys are always worth more with the box.

You took the Star Wars figurines out of the blister packs, didn't you?

MrWookiee and Archtops like this.
  14. Archtops

Archtops Country Gent

Mar 4, 2021
    SoCal
    This ^100%

15. Jerzey Bob

Jerzey Bob Synchromatic

Apr 3, 2021
    North Jersey
    Boxes and manuals particularly are what grab me when looking. If the original box is good for the manufacturer, it's good for sellers when shipping. Manuals speak for themselves.

drmilktruck likes this.
  16. Teledriver

Teledriver Synchromatic

Feb 12, 2011
    Iowa City, IA
    I still have the boxes from two Boss pedals from the early 90s -a BF-2 flanger and DD-5 digital delay- that I bought new at the time. Not sure why I kept them as they just take up space. I have the manuals as well.

And I have some gear that has been shipped, as mentioned above, in not much more than bubble wrap and a thank you from the owner/operator. That actually is fine with me (guitars are tools to be used, after all).

Somehow, despite the potential value some may place on having all this stuff associated with the product in question, I personally think I kept the associated paraphernalia for no good reason.
    If I had in fact kept the box and manual and receipt from a MkI Tonebender ca 1965, then I'd be a rich man, and wouldn't be here on this forum posting of this thread.

How can you tell what to keep and what to toss?? To me, I buy to use, not re-sell.

DougWheeler74 likes this.
  17. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    That's why some people keep everything.

18. loudnlousy

loudnlousy Gretschified

Oct 18, 2015
    Germany
    My son told me that certain vintage Nintendo games are worth hundres of dolars when they are ssold in their original un-opened box.

thunder58 likes this.
  19. wabash slim

wabash slim I Bleed Orange

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Which brings up the question: Why would you buy something and NOT open it and use it?

loudnlousy likes this.
  20. swivel

swivel Country Gent

May 13, 2018
    PNW
    I think it adds confidence in the item, that it was not some cheap pawn shop find passed on a number of times etc. But yeah, it really doesn't mean that much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.