Jurassic World Dominion (2022)

ZackyDog

Friend of Fred
Feb 6, 2015
In the USA
Greetings. I hope you are all well.

This looks good; I'm looking forward to it. I see some new dinosaurs (Giganotosaurus, Argentinosaurus, etc.) and some of the original 1993 cast has returned.

radd

Friend of Fred
Dec 27, 2017
Santa Cruz
I read the book prior to the first movie coming out. It was the only time I can remember waiting in line for the first showing of a movie. It was so worth it.

None of the sequels have come close to the thrill and excitement of that first movie.

I do home this “final” installment is a good one.

Last edited:

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Enjoy it. Having spent much time in drive in theaters in the'50s and '60s (Mom, uncle and I worked at one) I consider these just monster movies, tho very well made and much slicker than the tripe served up in the old days. At least the modern dinos are more believable.
I'm really waiting for the 2nd part of "Dune".
"Death on the Nile" looks to be interesting as well.
Having spent 40+ years as an IATSE stagehand /projectionist, I'm a little "over" most offerings in the industry.

dreamingGretsch

Synchromatic
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
My son loves all the Jurassic park movies!

we'll definitely go see this one! I was 8 years old when the first movie came out.. so it's great to share this experience with my kid now as I definitely see my reactions on seeing a dinosaur on the big screen thats really believable, on my son's face..

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
Enjoy it. Having spent much time in drive in theaters in the'50s and '60s (Mom, uncle and I worked at one) I consider these just monster movies, tho very well made and much slicker than the tripe served up in the old days. At least the modern dinos are more believable.
I'm really waiting for the 2nd part of "Dune".
"Death on the Nile" looks to be interesting as well.
Having spent 40+ years as an IATSE stagehand /projectionist, I'm a little "over" most offerings in the industry.
I was so irritated when I got to the end of the new Dune only to see it didn't get halfway through the original.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
I was so irritated when I got to the end of the new Dune only to see it didn't get halfway through the original.
I knew that's how it would be. The book's too long and involved to be done in two hours. The 1984 Lynch version was about 4 hours, and you got a 64-page booklet before the film to help you get thru it. I'd read the book long before, so I looked forward to both versions with anticipation. Lynch took a lot of liberties, but the look and basic premise were followed. The new one met my expectations and exceeded them. I await the eventual CD boxed set.
"Dune" got me an A in a collegiate Sci-Fi lit class. Even better, while working as a janitor, I found a hardbound copy next to a foul scupper/drain in the Memorial Student Union. I SAVED THAT book. I still have my highly annotated paperback copy, and still read it annually.

While I wish someone would make some Heinlein stories into movies, I realize he refused to sign over the rights as Hollywood hacked one of his stories so badly, he swore never again.

Instead of quality sci-fi stories, we get Sharknado---6 times.

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I knew that's how it would be. The book's too long and involved to be done in two hours. The 1984 Lynch version was about 4 hours, and you got a 64-page booklet before the film to help you get thru it. I'd read the book long before, so I looked forward to both versions with anticipation. Lynch took a lot of liberties, but the look and basic premise were followed. The new one met my expectations and exceeded them. I await the eventual CD boxed set.
"Dune" got me an A in a collegiate Sci-Fi lit class. Even better, while working as a janitor, I found a hardbound copy next to a foul scupper/drain in the Memorial Student Union. I SAVED THAT book. I still have my highly annotated paperback copy, and still read it annually.

While I wish someone would make some Heinlein stories into movies, I realize he refused to sign over the rights as Hollywood hacked one of his stories so badly, he swore never again.

Instead of quality sci-fi stories, we get Sharknado---6 times.
The Jurassic Park shows are good as were the newer Godzilla and Kong movies. Loved the The Hobbit movies and Lord of the Rings shows and I am glad they made the characters more developed because the written versions of the Dwarves and Elves all seemed childish and shallow to me. Only series I can say I preferred the movies to the books. I do however wish if they are going to remake a movie to do it better. Look at the old version of Captain From Castile. The book was great, one of my favorites but the movie from, the ‘50s, only made it part way through and could have been done better. That would be a good movie for a dedicated director to make.

KaHOnas

Gretschie
Aug 29, 2021
Chattanooga, Tennessee, USA
Big Heinlein fan checking in.

I assume you're referring to Starship Poopers. What Hollywood did to that book was a crime. Now I will admit to the movie being entertaining in a standalone, over-the-top, campy way, but it only bore a tenuous resemblance to the story it claimed to be an adaptation of.

The new Dune surprised me in a good way. There was a much stronger attempt at being faithful to the script than Lynch's 1984 version. I was disappointed that Feyd-Rautha hasn't shown up yet but we'll see how they work him into the second part.

Re: the Jurassic Park franchise, yup. Monster movies. I love monster movies. And zombie movies. Now if we could just get zombiesauruses, OMG. Like Viserion on GoT.

The Jurassic movies have always entertained me. Even #2 and the most recent one. I still enjoy the original and #3 the most though. It must be Sam Neill. But I'm really hoping this final one (?) is assembled well.

Funny sidenote: I remember watching Jurassic World and during the scene where they're pretting the velociraptors, I had to keep convincing myself that dinosaurs no longer exist. I was really impressed by the realism of the special effects.

Last edited:

Bertotti

Friend of Fred
Jul 20, 2017
South Dakota
I would love to see a well done movie or mini series based on Tunnel in the Sky.

Also, the teen campy books, SpellSinger, Ithink would be an entertaining series, possibly more suited to anime.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in

I assume you're referring to Starship Poopers. What Hollywood did to that book was a crime. Now I will admit to the movie being entertaining in a standalone, over-the-top, campy way, but it only bore a tenuous resemblance to the story it claimed to be an adaptation of.

The new Dune surprised me in a good way. There was a much stronger attempt at being faithful to the script than Lynch's 1984 version. I was disappointed that Feyd-Rautha hasn't shown up yet but we'll see how they work him into the second part.

Re: the Jurassic Park franchise, yup. Monster movies. I love monster movies. And zombie movies. Now if we could just get zombiesauruses, OMG. Like Viserion on GoT.

The Jurassic movies have always entertained me. Even #2 and the most recent one. I still enjoy the original and #3 the most though. It must be Sam Neill. But I'm really hoping this final one (?) is assembled well.

Funny sidenote: I remember watching Jurassic World and during the scene where they're pretting the velociraptors, I had to keep convincing myself that dinosaurs no longer exist. I was really impressed by the realism of the special effects.
Robert Heinlein objected to a much earlier sci-fi movie taken from one of his early novels, done in the early '50s. He'd said, "Never again." His wife released Starship Troopers after his death. Paul Verhoeven (sp.?) worked his usual magic on it. All they really took from the book were the characters' names and small pieces of the plot.

Dino movies have been around forever. They showed up in the Lumiere Brothers, "From the Earth to the Moon" and others, in 1903. Check out "Foghorn", written by Ray Bradbury. The special effects have gotten far better in all areas of sci-fi. Even the stop motion FX made famous by Ray Harryhausen have progressed to really believable proportions. Star Wars used them to great effect.

I enjoyed Jurassic Park when it came out. Lawyer on the toilet was a great scene. Computer guy with the little dino was good, too. Sam Niell's Dad Joke, where he fakes electrocution was priceless. Lots of good moments. Still, it was "one and done" for me. My daughter remarked that in the first JP, you were rooting for the people. In the second, you were rooting for the dinos. By the third, you were rooting for the Ice Age.

I hate the chop and slash stuff, but I do enjoy some cheesy Sci-Fi. I love MST3K in all of its iterations. We get Svengoolie as well here. There are some highly enjoyable "bad" flicks out there, and some horrid ones as well. Spent a lot of time at drive in double features on the weekends. Did a lot of Saturday afternoon kids' matinees in the '50s at local theaters. Dad would hand us each a couple of bucks, then we'd hit the corner store for snacks, go to the bus stop, go downtown to the movies, and give the folks an afternoon of peace and quiet.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
The Jurassic Park shows are good as were the newer Godzilla and Kong movies. Loved the The Hobbit movies and Lord of the Rings shows and I am glad they made the characters more developed because the written versions of the Dwarves and Elves all seemed childish and shallow to me. Only series I can say I preferred the movies to the books. I do however wish if they are going to remake a movie to do it better. Look at the old version of Captain From Castile. The book was great, one of my favorites but the movie from, the ‘50s, only made it part way through and could have been done better. That would be a good movie for a dedicated director to make.
I like "Captains from Castile". Remember the actual volcano smoking away during the movie? "Kings of the Sun" was done in a similar vein.

There were some glaring omissions in LOTR and the Hobbit, and some add changes. One thing that gets me is that the earlier Orcs in the Hobbit were far nastier than the later ones in LOTR, where they were supposed to be super orcs---the Uruk Hai. Still, both series were very well done.

Philtertronic

Gretschie
Feb 26, 2014
scotland

Did the giant bugs really fire laser beams out of their arse in the book?

Dreadful movie

dspellman

Gretschie
Jul 4, 2020
Los Angeles
I picked up the original Crichton book for a flight and was all excited when I walked off the plane. I told someone at the time that, "This would be a perfect movie for Spielberg to make!" And was told as I walked off the plane in Kauai that he was two valleys over doing that very thing.

wabash slim

I Bleed Orange
Feb 10, 2010
lafayette in
Did the giant bugs really fire laser beams out of their arse in the book?

Dreadful movie
Remember the movie's shower scene?
In the book, one of the soldiers in basics said that he "remembered girls: but nobody believed him. Carmen, in the book, had shaved her head. None of the book's armored suits made it into the movie. All the movie took from the book were some character's names, and bugs.

Latest posts