Joyo Pedals

Discussion in 'Pedal Pushers Forum' started by Jock_Hiltz, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Jock_Hiltz

Jock_Hiltz Gretschie

Jan 6, 2015
    Halifax
    Just wondering if anyone else plays any Joyo pedals? I pitched up from off eBay, like them so far. great build and sound for 35$ each.

2. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I don't have any, but I have tried a couple of those cheapie Chinese pedals, and was disappointed overall. Neither of them lasted long. I finally tossed one of them out. It was a reverb pedal. Don't recall the brand name. One of the input jacks was never right and cut out regularly.

3. chairman

chairman Gretschie

Jul 9, 2014
    St. Louis Mo.
    I have the ACtone, I like it. It has good transparency and a surprising range of tones and distortion. The knobs actually have dramatic effect. True bypass, good build quality and the pots are smooth. It is on my pedalboard instead of my modded Japan SD1 that I always used since '87. Ridiculous value IMO. I would get another one if I was in the market.

4. Ricochet

Ricochet Senior Gretsch-Talker

Nov 13, 2009
    Monkey Island
    I picked up a couple to satisfy my curiosity. Tried them for 5 minutes and tossed them in the attic with the rest of the "collection". Overall they seem very decent both in sound and build. I have no qualms to recommend them for those on a budget, or taking their first steps in FX-land.

5. nadles

nadles Country Gent

I have a few Joyo pedals. I particularly like the Sweet Baby OD.

6. Jock_Hiltz

Jock_Hiltz Gretschie

Jan 6, 2015
    Halifax
    i have the sweet baby as well, i find it to be just a light warm over drive. I haven't used them to any great extent yet but so far i'm please. Review after review on the Joyo's seem to be strong... if i have any comment it would be on the dc input, I wish the jack was mounted to the case.

7. tim73

tim73 Gretschie

Feb 15, 2009
    Wiltshire, England
    I have the analog delay which appears to have been lost in a recent house move. They are great value for money & perfectly fine for most musicians.

8. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    My favourite is the Joyo Sweet Baby. It's a fab pedal. Light OD (to get just get you to that breakup tone with a clean amp), very sweet. Very little compression, so pick attack isn't compromised, very light compression on the bass, which just tightens it up and prevents flabbiness. I liked it as much as my Timmy (if not more).

Marlin

9. MatchlessMan

MatchlessMan Country Gent

Nov 29, 2010
    Swindon UK
    My son has the Vintage Overdrive (Tube Screamer clone), and it is unfeasibly good, especially considering the price.

10. benadrian

benadrian Electromatic

Dec 6, 2014
    Los Angeles
    I have Joyo Compressor that I pull out when I need a pedal compressor. I had a Joyo Fuzz a while back. My impressions. They're not bad, but there's nothing amazing or special about them. I think they are great for people who are just getting into pedals for the first time, but they're all slightly lesser versions of well established designs, and people like me who are pedal fans that have been around the block have owned or currently own the pedals on which these pedals are based.

So, great way to get a new sound for cheap, great to toss in a music room or studio, and a great way to satisfy the itch for a new toy, but not serious pedalboard contenders or stage worthy companions.

Cheers!
    Ben

11. The Marlin

The Marlin Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    London...ish
    I'm not saying all Joyo pedals are fab, but the three OD pedals I've tried are pretty damn good. Vintage Overdrive, Joyo Ultimate Drive, and Sweet Baby.

I've heard the delays are OK. I tried the tremolo pedal, but didn't like it - I'd been spoiled by the Pigtronix Tremvelope, and the Phaser was not my cup of tea (though, I expect all Phasers are not my cup of tea). I don't like anything that compresses or effects pick dynamics.

M :)

12. DrumBob

DrumBob Friend of Fred

Feb 2, 2011
    New Jersey
    I think this is a very good summation. Those Chinese cheapos are fine for people just getting into pedals, or they're good for home recording and so forth, but for serious players with experience using boutique pedals, they're not realistic.

13. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Gretschified

Jul 25, 2009
    Sandy Eggo
    bingo!

[​IMG]

14. nickurso

nickurso Gretschified

Dec 24, 2012
    New Orleans la.
    yep. Someone just tried to tell me their line 6 pod sounds as good as my rig. I invited him to come down and sit in with my band and hear it for himself

15. Jock_Hiltz

Jock_Hiltz Gretschie

Jan 6, 2015
    Halifax
    yeah my over impression is a fantastic bang for your buck and you can't argue with the build quality. Sound is so very subjective... the true bypass is nice and so far i haven't notice any drain on the tone. great starting point and not a bad pedal to have in the mix.

16. Littlewing555

Littlewing555 Gretschie

Oct 25, 2014
    Boston
    Overall my experience with joyo pedals has been that they sound not nearly as good, besides the Ultimate Drive-good pedal, as the ones they try to emulate. Their phaser is absolutely horrible and unusable because their very little effect-from 7:00 on the knob to like 4:00 there is very little, if any sonic change. The chorus pedal is just way to over the top with a cheesy 80's tone you can't get rid of. I won't buy these anymore and rather save for a good used pedal.

17. Scottishblue13

Scottishblue13 Gretschie

May 14, 2011
    Scotland
    Another with bad experience here.
    Tried 3. Have none now. Worst was the noisegate which was totally unusable. Then the delay which sounded kinda ok but seemed to eat battery's before the switch gave way after very little usage.

This is similar to my experience of behringer pedals too by the way

I'd rather pay a bit more for a decent brand in the future.

There is often a bit of truth in the saying " buy cheap, buy twice" in my experience

18. Henry

Henry I Bleed Orange

Apr 9, 2014
    Petaluma
    Couldn't agree with you more. I am financially secure, and can afford gear, but in my opinion, NO ONE can afford to waste money. I buy things with the intention to keep it forever. However, I am not a tone hound like some people here. But I feel that will slowly develop, and I will not outgrow my gear.

19. midnight340

midnight340 Gretschie

Nov 29, 2012
    Lawrence, KS
    I have the Joyo EQ and it's been fine. Also the Sweet Baby, and really like it !!! ...but the foot switch did fail, after a year plus, I will probably simply replace it (switch or the pedal) but got interested in the American Sound (a version of the Tech21 Blonde)

So at this point, I have only a day or two of experimenting and tweaking the American Sound but I think it's going to live up to it's rave reviews!!! Pretty excited, as it has quite a range of tones… so far am using it in front of a SS amp to tweak my tone at lower practice volume. Lotsa reviews… good tube vids on it.

20. HBob

HBob Synchromatic

Feb 26, 2012
    Plano, TX
    Well said.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.