Join Gretsch-Talk Today

Joe Bonamassa on tubes ...

Discussion in 'Ampage Area' started by Flyer91, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Lizardkinged

Lizardkinged Friend of Fred

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    I wasn't trying to tell you anything you didn't already know. Re-read what I said. Where did I say anything otherwise, and where did I say ALL 6v6 tubes are the same??? How can you even infer that based on what I said?

the TAD 6v6-STR, JJ6v6S and Premium Select GT-6v6S Groove Tube are the one in SAME TUBE DESING... all different construction (longer/bigger bottle) from the traditional 6v6, all similar to a 5881 like you mention. The JJ's and Groove Tube's are made in the Tesla/Slovak Factory SAME TUBE. I don't know where the TAD tube is made, but both the JJ and TAD 6V6 tubes have larger plates (anodes) allowing them to safely dissipate 14W rather than the standard 12W. The same goes for the GT-6v6-S. I'm holding one right now, right next to a JJ and a Tung-sol so the visual aid was totally unnecessary too...

The only rumor I've heard about this tube type is that it was originally some russian designation that was later re-tooled and the pin-outs to match a 6v6's socket.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  2. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    Oh hey, I'm not arguing with you... just more info for the thread. Sorry if it sounded like I was disagreeing with you or correcting you- that was not my intent. Just ADDING some info about the JJ tube that hadn't been mentioned yet.

Flyer91 likes this.
  3. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    No worries, but I had mentioned how it's heartier and pushed 2 extra watts, after Tavo explained why he uses them in his builds. (the plate voltage). It had been mentioned.

Sadly so many people buy Fenders with the Groove GT-6v6-S already installed (to be fair they are noisier/rattly) which is the same construction and made in the same line. The JJ's just have higher standards in terms of noise/micro-phonics/rattles.

I'd only change out the groove tubes in the Fender combos if they're rattling or if you want that more traditional 6v6 snarl. These are a lot closer to a 5881 totally. My PRRI rattles like crazy. I haven't decided if it gets JJ's or Tung-sol's, but I think I want the 68' Custom to get Tung-Sols. Doesn't really matter. :) It's why they're all here. test them.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2017
  4. Forum Sponsor Sponsored posting

5. ruger9

ruger9 Country Gent

Nov 1, 2008
    NJ
    I don't think the BIGGER SIZE and actual construction differences were mentioned, that's why I mentioned them! :D
    (and BTW, *I* was the first one to mention the plate voltage! ;))

But you did make a good point: you either like them or your don't. Just like with anything. I totally get why JB uses them: durability, plain and simple. With a touring schedule like his, that's paramount. If I played 2 hours a night 4 nights a week- cranked like he does- I'd change tubes every month too! People just need to make sure their amps won't kill the 6V6s they are buying (like the Swarts), or re-bias accordingly.

Interestingly, while I hear little difference between JJs and TSs or whatever, in my SS22... when I had the PRRI, I much preferred the TSs. And that was with the amp biased hot (but within the parameters of the tubes, of course.)

Flyer91 likes this.
  6. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    By my experience about servicing amps, JJ tubes face some problems of reliability. I noticed several times interelectrodes leaks or shorts (when hot or cold, or intermittent), heater-cathode leaks or shorts, that made the tube faulty, improper for use, and dangerous for the amp. That was EL34, 6L6 and 7591. Some power tubes (6L6 and EL34) are prone to microphonics quite quickly.

These failures occured on recent, barely or average used, and even new right-out-of-the-box samples : that's why I mention it. That drives me unfortunately to say that the quality control of JJ tube is not premium and could be improved...

A+!

Flyer91 likes this.
  7. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    if you can allocate a tested set of NOS Ei 6B

This is exactly what my buddy at Tophat amps finds, what Billy Zoom Finds, and dummy me finds to be true. You couldnt have said it better.

Flyer91 likes this.
  8. ZackyDog

ZackyDog Country Gent

Feb 6, 2015
    In the USA
    They were my regular brand before JJ. But they (even the gold, elite pretested) were problematic. Nice, jangly upper frequencies but not strong mid-range which JJs have.

Flyer91 likes this.
  9. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Totally. I didn't even bother to try them in the supersonic as I wasn't trying to change the tone as much as draw more sensitivity out of it. (quicker attack). The Tung-Sol's would have just decreased headroom a little bit, and weren't going to last as long as the JJ's. It's either the PRRI or the 68' Custom for those. Haven't decided yet.

10. TSims1

TSims1 Friend of Fred

Jun 18, 2013
    Atlanta
    SEE?!?? THIS is why I play Tech 21!!!!!

;)

Flyer91 likes this.
  11. larryb

larryb Gretschified

Oct 29, 2012
    Greenville, SC
    Guitar+cable+few pedals+amp=good to go! I have no clue what a better tube would sound like....seriously clueless!

Flyer91 likes this.
  12. Gretschtim1

Gretschtim1 Country Gent

Dec 4, 2012
    Dundalk, Md
    What ever they are they sound great in my 5E3 amp - better than any other 6V6 new or vintage that I've tried.

Flyer91 and ZackyDog like this.
  13. wildeman

wildeman Friend of Fred

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    Yes but do you have the one with the 100% virgin silicone diodes, you haven't lived till you hear that one!o_O:D

Flyer91 likes this.
  14. TV the Wired Turtle

TV the Wired Turtle Friend of Fred

Jul 25, 2009
    so cal
    lots of truthy-isms in this thread. :)

Flyer91 likes this.
  15. Salsg

Salsg Gretschie

Nov 9, 2016
    Southern California
    JJ tubes have been the only ones I have not had a failure other than NOS.

ZackyDog and Flyer91 like this.
  16. Well, I think I'll go with Phalo Pian tubes.
    Hope they won't run too hot ... ;)

17. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Truthiness :p The probability that something is true :)

18. hcsterg

hcsterg Country Gent

Feb 13, 2012
    France
    Well, again...

Another argument against JJ tubes : here are the innards of a 2006 RIVERA Clubster 45 that I just opened this afternoon for repair, on which one of the 6L6GC JJ showed intermittent control grid - screen green short, giving that failure plus a fire start, as shown below :eek: :

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, I unfortunately can't tell the same thing... o_O

A+!

Flyer91 likes this.
  19. Lizardkinged

Oct 5, 2009
    Michigan
    Ouch! Did it blow/melt the traces? Good luck! :)

20. afire

afire Country Gent

Feb 12, 2009
    Wisconsin
    I've had the same experience with their EL84's. I had an AC30/4 that could make just about any EL84, including NOS Mullards, red-plate. Not JJ's. They did just fine.

And to be fair to Bossa Nova, he didn't say they're the best sounding tubes. It seemed to me more that he was talking about their ruggedness fitting his needs.

Flyer91 likes this.
  21. Telechamp

Telechamp Synchromatic

Oct 20, 2010
    Florida
    I gotta say - I did swap out the stock Groove Tubes in my '07 DRRI with JJ's, and the transformation in tone was astounding - to my ears, anyway. I didn't think I would hear that much difference, but boy, did I.. :)

YMMV, of course.

Flyer91 likes this.