Jim Dandy vs Gin Rickey vs Americana

Discussion in 'Fred's Barcalounge' started by r0de0, Feb 20, 2021.

1. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I was considering a Jimmy or a Ginny however, what are the main differences aside from the pick-up?
    Aside from different wood, they all appear to be Rex re-issues in concept.
    The Ginny has the cool Gretsch pickup, but given a choice, which would you choose and why?

4510 Showdown.jpg

thunder58 and mrfixitmi like this.
  2. tartanphantom

tartanphantom Friend of Fred

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    I made my choice many years ago...

There's really not much difference between the Jim Dandy series and the Americana series... other than when they were made. Americana guitars were made in Indonesia. Jim Dandy models were initially made in the same plant, but that plant burned in 2018, and are made at a different facility now-- still Indonesia though.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 20, 2021
  3. Highroller

Highroller Synchromatic

Jun 11, 2015
    Portland, OR
    Yep, pretty much.

I had that choice to make around the holidays when I decided to get something like these, except that I was also considering the Recording King Dirty 30's too. They also offer theirs as yes/no option to the pickup.

I decided no pickup. To me, the whole point of the thing was to have simple knock-around guitar I could play anywhere, anytime. If I got a pickup, I need an amp. If I got an amp, I need electricity. Then I need cords, and something for carrying all this stuff around ... See? All of sudden it's complicated!

I wound up with the Dirty 30's, but it was a really close call. I didn't even get a case or a gig bag for it. I want to be able to literally, just pick it up and go. Toss it in the car, take it to the beach ... whatever. Total zero BS, just a guitar.

That it actually sounds half-way decent and is super fun to play is a real bonus!

btw, to you guys that got the whole collection - congrats! I came so close to getting a Sundown Serenade at the time, but never would have bought all four. You guys are some dedicated Gretsch fans!

tartanphantom and r0de0 like this.
  4. wildeman

wildeman Gretschified

May 10, 2015
    norcal
    I had an Americana, cool and kitschy but real vintage one's can be had cheap still and i love old guitars( cant help it). Old one's are better, still cheezy though. 20191012_153947-1.jpg these are all made by Harmony who also probably made the Rex guitars you speak of.

r0de0 likes this.
  5. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Let's not mince words... it's a sickness... ;):D

6. thunder58

thunder58 Super Moderator Staff Member

Dec 23, 2010
    tappan ny
    Admin Post
    Give ya $200 for the lot of them ....I'll pay shipping too . lol :p Always loved your collection Phantom

tartanphantom likes this.
  7. r0de0

r0de0 Synchromatic

Jul 7, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    It's a little bit funny, guys on another forum call the Americana 'toys' but expound on the virtues of the Jim Dandy.

8. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    When in reality, its the same basic guitar in different clothing. I had this disagreement with somebody as well, until we did a side-by-side comparison, wherein he reluctantly agreed.

Come on now, it's a sub-$200 Pacific rim-built parlor guitar... how good could it be to start with? Certainly not worth quibbling over. :rolleyes:;)

wabash slim likes this.
  9. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Same guitars, different paint.

Everybody should have a beater guitar, one that you won't mind taking outside, playing around a campfire, or leave next to the couch where they can be decorated by sticky fingered toddlers and drooling dogs. It's something you can grab anytime the mood strikes you. It's the kind of guitar you give to a kid who wants to learn how to play without sinking a lot of cash into it if the novelty wears off. If that kid gets the music bug, it's the guitar he'll cherish all of his life, even if it gets beat up. It's the kind of guitar that you make real memories from, along with the music.

As to the pickup---I've a warm spot for a flat top round hole guitar with a pickup. Doesn't have to be fancy like a G5034 or a Howard Roberts. It goes back to the early days of electrified music, to the old Chicago Blues guys like Muddy Waters. It's basic as can be.

David_GS likes this.
  10. GHook

GHook Gretschie

Sep 3, 2010
    wnc
    I went the Ricky considering the stand alone pick up is $99 on Amazon. My only complaint is that 60 cycle hum I have to deal with. I do it by positioning myself in relation to the amp and a George L cord. It sound great through my 15w Acoustic amp and delay pedal.

I have considered the Americana as wall art that's playable but I think the Ricky has a really nice visual vibe. One of my better purchases for sure. My advice...pay the extra $ and go "full" Ricky :)

11. tartanphantom

Jul 30, 2008
    Murfreesboro, TN
    Not including my own personal examples (which I still have) pictured above, I've actually given away four Americana models as gifts to friends. I bought a bunch of them when they were on closeout for $79 each, and they made great Christmas gifts one year.

wabash slim likes this.
  12. thirteen

thirteen Electromatic

Oct 27, 2014
    Canada
    Wow... $79! There's plenty of them on Ebay in the $500 - $1200 range these days. That was a good investment.

13. wabash slim

wabash slim Gretschified

Feb 10, 2010
    lafayette in
    Wilbury guitars are going for big bucks as well. Some people just take advantage of the gullible types and bank on the Gretsch name and cachet. Not saying any of these are bad guitars, but they're worth no where near that kind of money.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.